Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1
Canon Australia just made available for download, the new Canon EOS 5D Mark III firmware v1.2.1 update.
This long-awaited update provides uncompressed HDMI output support and adds cross-type AF support at f/8!

Download: Mac | PC

Update: Canon USA just posted the download link.

From Canon:
"When shooting video, HDMI Output makes possible the recording of high-definition uncompressed video data (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit) from the EOS 5D Mark III to an external recorder via the camera’s HDMI terminal.
Even when the EOS 5D Mark III is equipped with an extender and lens making possible a maximum aperture of f/8, the firmware update supports AF employing the camera’s central cross-type points."

Canon EOS 5D Mark III available at:

B&H Photo | Amazon.com

Firmware Version 1.2.1 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes.
1. Uncompressed HDMI output is now enabled.
2. Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8.
3. Improves the speed of the camera's acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite's AF-assist beam.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode.
5. Fixes a phenomenon that may occur when the continuous shooting priority setting is enabled for multiple exposures, such that, after the sixth image is taken, there is a slight pause before the remainder of the sequence is completed.
6. Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder display shows incorrect information during AEB shooting.
7. Communication with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter has been improved.
8. When images have been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an "O" will be displayed. When images have not been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an "X" will be displayed.
9. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function properly when an Eye-Fi card is used.
10. Fixes a phenomenon in which the focal length value listed in the Exif information is not displayed correctly for images shot with the EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM lens.
11. Fixes a phenomenon in which the lens firmware cannot be updated properly.
12. Corrects errors in the Arabic language menu.
13. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8.
14. Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the "Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO" option.

* Items No.1 through 12 have been incorporated into firmware version 1.2.0.
* Items No.1 through 14 have been incorporated into firmware version 1.2.1.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Should make a lot of people happy

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:58 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Hmmm, somehow I was under the impression that all cross-type AF points would work at f/8.0 after the new firmware upgrade. Apparently, it would only work with the center one . Oh, well.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:29 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

They removed the 70-300L + 1.4x TC III ability that the 1DX f/8 firmware version secretly had. Was hoping the officially release would be 1.2.2 or something and have it back in. Oh well, I guess time to sell my Canon equipment and look into Kenko I suppose.... don't know why they couldn't just have given us the 1DX code instead of taking six months to give us code with all the nice unofficial bonuses stripped out. Now have to potentially suffer with worse quality from a Kenko + 70-300L as well in all other combos unless you spend another $250 on the Kenko, in addition, something that shouldn't be needed.

Should be awesome for those with official combos though !

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

skibum5 wrote:
They removed the 70-300L + 1.4x TC III ability that the 1DX f/8 firmware version secretly had. Was hoping the officially release would be 1.2.2 or something and have it back in. Oh well, I guess time to sell my Canon equipment and look into Kenko I suppose.... don't know why they couldn't just have given us the 1DX code instead of taking six months to give us code with all the nice unofficial bonuses stripped out. Now have to potentially suffer with worse quality from a Kenko + 70-300L ..............

You bought a 5D3 without f8 firmware, and for a lot less than a 1DX, so quit complaining. And what makes you think a Kenko will give you worse quality than a Canon TC

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:15 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

AGeoJO wrote:
Hmmm, somehow I was under the impression that all cross-type AF points would work at f/8.0 after the new firmware upgrade. Apparently, it would only work with the center one . Oh, well.

You can use 4 pt expansion mode so you actually get 5 points but you can't directly select the other 4. They are just there for assist.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:21 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

skibum5 wrote:
They removed the 70-300L + 1.4x TC III ability that the 1DX f/8 firmware version secretly had. Was hoping the officially release would be 1.2.2 or something and have it back in. Oh well, I guess time to sell my Canon equipment and look into Kenko I suppose.... don't know why they couldn't just have given us the 1DX code instead of taking six months to give us code with all the nice unofficial bonuses stripped out. Now have to potentially suffer with worse quality from a Kenko + 70-300L as well in all other combos unless you spend another
...Show more
What other unofficial bonuses were stripped out? Are there more I haven't heard of?

Canon's only mistake was unofficially supporting that combo on the 1DX when the 70-300L manual says in black and white that extenders are not supported. Hand-wringing over removal of something that shouldn't have been there in the first place is a waste of energy. It is known when one buys the lens to not expect support.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:30 AM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

The US version is now available
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:42 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

AGeoJO wrote:

No series 1 body ever, including the 1DX have that

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:44 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

I notice that it also addresses the issue some have had of AF MA "setting itself" to -8. I haven't had that problem (or any other issues), but it's good to see that Canon paid attention to just about every reported problem that could be handled with FW.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Photon wrote:
I notice that it also addresses the issue some have had of AF MA "setting itself" to -8. I haven't had that problem (or any other issues), but it's good to see that Canon paid attention to just about every reported problem that could be handled with FW.

Yeah now if they could only do something for my sub-par images

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:50 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

skibum5 wrote:
They removed the 70-300L + 1.4x TC III ability that the 1DX f/8 firmware version secretly had. Was hoping the officially release would be 1.2.2 or something and have it back in. Oh well, I guess time to sell my Canon equipment and look into Kenko I suppose.... don't know why they couldn't just have given us the 1DX code instead of taking six months to give us code with all the nice unofficial bonuses stripped out. Now have to potentially suffer with worse quality from a Kenko + 70-300L as well in all other combos unless you spend another
...Show more

I don't understand your comment? I have the 70-300 IS L lens. And I can't use it with extender on my 1DX. ? So what secret ability does it have

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:51 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

AGeoJO wrote:

My 1DX only does f/8 with the center point as well. It was the same way with the older 1D bodies as well. There's just so little light entering the camera that the camera concentrates its efforts on just one point at f/8.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:01 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Is there anything of importance in this update for someone who is not currently using long glass with extenders or shooting videos? I went to the canon page and it only mentions those two issues.

Greg

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:05 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

It's great that Canon released the firmware. But I can't understand that people here expect it to work with all 41 cross-Points? Or AF with lenses that the 1DX can't do?

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:06 AM
super35
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

I just checked the official firmware vs the leaked one. Hashcalc matches them, it is the same file. Completed on 4/08/13 at 7pm.

There are 14 seperate fixes or additions. I wonder why they waited so long to update. So of these bugs have been known since last August.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:12 AM
super35
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

There is a new version of the owners manual as well. Might want to grab that when it becomes available.

Edit: And a new Anti-counterfeit Brochure link

This might explain why the new firmware reports issues with some 3rd party batteries.

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 05:20 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:16 AM
verbiage
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Will Patterson wrote:
My 1DX only does f/8 with the center point as well. It was the same way with the older 1D bodies as well. There's just so little light entering the camera that the camera concentrates its efforts on just one point at f/8.

That makes sense. But there was a note early on (a few months ago?) that I (mis)read as "the camera retains AF ability with the five dual cross-type AF points, which will act as "simple" cross-type AF points at F/8." I think it may have been one of the comments here on the original FW announcement back in October. Once again, it probably didn't really say that, it was just the way I read and understood it.

Still, a happy camper here. I quite enjoyed using 1.4x on a 100-400 on a 1D IV a couple of years ago, looking forward to doing it again!

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:18 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Happy!

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:28 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

No flashing focus points, unlike on the 1DX