Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · The Stars join in

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The Stars join in

Justin Grimm wrote:
#3 for me! Best composition of the bunch, and I like how the clouds look like they are coming from the centre of the frame.

Thanks so much Justin, yeah, the clouds sure played nice for me that night!

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:41 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The Stars join in

roman.johnston wrote:
Cool...this excites me to start playing with night stars.....thank you for the motivation...very nice!!

Roman

Hey Roman, I am glad you liked these. Definitely you need to get out and shoot some stars!

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:43 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The Stars join in

Todd wrote:
Really nice Jim! I like the colors But you have captured in these photos. The high ISO definitely has worked out in your favor but like you said some moonlight would produce a little bit more light on the landscape. However I really like these a lot you definitely have a great eye for photography. Next week I go on vacation to the Texas star party in Fort Davis Texas, I cannot wait to get some great Milky Way shots with my cameras. I'm glad that the firmware update did not affect the noise in the camera at all. Those
...Show more

Hey Todd,

Thanks so much, the high ISO work of the D800 is really sweet! Your Texas Star party sounds like a lot of fun. I am sure it will be a crazy all night affair! Look forward to seeing what you get from it.

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:44 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The Stars join in

astrodave wrote:
Jim,

Really sweet colors in these shots, and I think the clouds add a great bit of interest. I really enjoy your work!

When there's moisture in the air, you can see light pollution on the horizon from *many* miles away show up in your shots.

-David

Hey Dave,

Thanks for that info about the way light travels with moisture in the air, that's something to remember. And I am glad you liked the shots.

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:46 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The Stars join in

Jim, love the stars and the color of the sky! As about composition, #3 is my favorite.
Not sure light comes from Green River, on a map it seems to be in NE direction. However, not much is needed for light pollution.
By the way, just learned that Natural Bridges has designated darkest sky in a nation.

Sasha

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:49 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The Stars join in

boingyman wrote:
Cool shots Tim. It's amazing how it can handle the high ISO's so well. Did you use a fog filter in these shots?

Thanks so much! I am glad you liked these. And yeah, the D800 is so sweet! All those pixels and high iso capability too!

No, I didn't use any filters, are you referring to a screw on filter that adds a glow or blur to the shot? Myself, I was always a vaseline type of guy, just spread a very thin layer on a UV filter. But that was way back in the day when shooting film. So no filters were used here, either on the camera or in processing. The softness in the clouds comes from them moving during the 30 second exposure if that is what you are seeing.

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:50 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The Stars join in

alatoo60 wrote:
Jim, love the stars and the color of the sky! As about composition, #3 is my favorite.
Not sure light comes from Green River, on a map it seems to be in NE direction. However, not much is needed for light pollution.
By the way, just learned that Natural Bridges has designated darkest sky in a nation.

Sasha

Hey Sasha,

Thanks so much! I am glad you liked these. NE could be about right, I wasn't using a compass, so my North, East and West directions could be off a bit.

Really, Natural Bridges has the darkest skies? Sweet! I have only shot there during the day, I think it could be cool to shoot with one of the bridges in the shot with stars up in the sky.

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:54 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The Stars join in

Yes, it does! It's a big deal, they went to a great extend to ensure that there is not a single light in a neighborhood of the park. Here is the link.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:00 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The Stars join in

JimFox wrote:
Hey Ben,

My preference is to shoot with a 1/4 to 1/2 moon to provide a light source for the foreground. The trick then is to shoot with the moon to your back. The same would hold though for a full moon, to shoot with it at your back and when it's as low to the horizon as possible. That will still give you a nice display of stars on the opposite horizon.

Jim

I have done that at Zion last fall. But to really get dark skys you need no moon light pollution. I have considered doing the dark sky first and then waiting maybe a couple hours for a 1/4 moon to rise and provide land illumination then blend. 1/4 moons are always later so you have more chance for a dark sky first shot.

But I also like what you have here, A single shot is always satisfying. Your example of a good tall standing silhouette compared to a somewhat featureless skyline shows what can be done with a totally dark sky.

I have shown numerous moonlit images in the last two years, almost all were with the moon at my back. I learned early on that the moon is like the sun for glare and DR. But my speciality has been full or near full moon.

Have been considering a new moon shot for some time. I am going to Dead Horse for other reasons so this will be mostly an exercise.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:26 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The Stars join in

ben egbert wrote:
I have done that at Zion last fall. But to really get dark skys you need no moon light pollution. I have considered doing the dark sky first and then waiting maybe a couple hours for a 1/4 moon to rise and provide land illumination then blend. 1/4 moons are always later so you have more chance for a dark sky first shot.

But I also like what you have here, A single shot is always satisfying. Your example of a good tall standing silhouette compared to a somewhat featureless skyline shows what can be done with a totally
...Show more

Hey Ben,

Yeah, I figured you would be shooting with the moon to your back. As for Dead Horse, the issue there as you know is how to light up canyon? With it being a canyon it's going to be dark in there. As you noted it's very satisfying to get these star shots with a single shot, but with the new moon condition you will have, what I would do to cover my bases is to get my camera set up at sunset or right after for the composition I want with the stars. Then I would shoot some twilight shots where there is still enough light to get Dead Horse lit up. Then when shooting the stars later, if I had to blend in a better lit foreground you would have it. Just a thought.

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The Stars join in

JimFox wrote:
Hey Ben,

Yeah, I figured you would be shooting with the moon to your back. As for Dead Horse, the issue there as you know is how to light up canyon? With it being a canyon it's going to be dark in there. As you noted it's very satisfying to get these star shots with a single shot, but with the new moon condition you will have, what I would do to cover my bases is to get my camera set up at sunset or right after for the composition I want with the stars. Then I would shoot some twilight
...Show more

I am camping there or nearby (for sunrise shots), but it is not the best place for this sort of shot, I will probably head for Arches and catch Balanced Rock or one of the monoliths. I might even stop at Cathedral Valley on the way home for a night.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:37 PM
Littlefield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The Stars join in

Jim, these are spectacular. I gotta try this down near South Litchfield Beach in South Carolina this June, maybe I can get the Milky Way.
Don

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:45 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The Stars join in

Hey Jim,

I like number 3 and 4. I love the large stars/planets on the 3rd pic. The composition on the 4th one is great.

Jason

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:01 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The Stars join in

JimFox wrote:
Thanks so much! I am glad you liked these. And yeah, the D800 is so sweet! All those pixels and high iso capability too!

No, I didn't use any filters, are you referring to a screw on filter that adds a glow or blur to the shot? Myself, I was always a vaseline type of guy, just spread a very thin layer on a UV filter. But that was way back in the day when shooting film. So no filters were used here, either on the camera or in processing. The softness in the clouds comes from them moving during
...Show more

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was referring to one of those screw on fog filters. I know some use it to make some of the stars become larger. Cool to see those stars really glow without the use of one. I just read your other post about enjoying to shoot with half a moon or so. Glad to know that I don't always have to wait for a near moonless night since I've always wanted to shoot the stars, but never had the chance yet. Does this apply to shooting the milky way as well? I've seen some milky way shots that looks like there's always a sunrise mixed into it, but now I'm wondering if that's partly due to having maybe a half moon up and light popultion combined.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Marc Adamus
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The Stars join in

Jim, very nice. The things I like most about all of these are the fantastical approach to the star size/focus which gives that 'twinkling' sensation, and the color graduations throughout the skies, which moves the eye through the great beyond. The silhouette treatment of the landscape is a refreshing take in our days of shadow details.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The Stars join in

Sweet set. Love the third image!

May 01, 2013 at 01:20 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The Stars join in

Lol... I thought Jim Fox had disappeared or was on a really long photo trip! Somewhere along the line I must have bumped the "Hide Me" button. Some more recent posts by others are all making sense now. Hope I didn't accidentally hide anyone else.

Really excellent star photos Jim! I really like the colors too! Nice work!

May 01, 2013 at 08:22 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The Stars join in

great set as usual Jim. No. 3 for me too.

May 01, 2013 at 09:30 PM
kylebarendrick
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The Stars join in

I agree that 3 has the best composition, but I really love the sky in 1 - so that one gets my vote. Nicely done.

May 02, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The Stars join in

Very celestial! Really nice work Jim.

I'm wishing that I could see a little detail in the blacks and the saturation level pulled down a hair.

May 02, 2013 at 12:12 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password