Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · The Stars join in

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Stars join in

These are from the Temple of the Sun and Moon from a few weeks ago. I shot these from the west side of the Temple of the Moon. The storm was clearing out so I thought the clouds added a nice touch. There was no moon on this night, so I left the shot dark to capture the same feeling I had as I shot this. You literally couldn't see.

#1 catches the Temple of the Sun on the right side of the frame. (Shooting towards North)

#2 is looking totally west with no Temples in the shot. (Shooting towards West)

#3 catches both the Temple of the Sun and Moon. (Shooting towards East)

It was really cool all of the great compositions I had from one spot... All I did was rotate the camera to shoot the different compositions.

I am still not sure where the ambient light is coming from that's lighting up the horizon. Most of these are shot at ISO 6400 on the D800 as it was very dark. I also bracketed with shots at ISO 3200 and ISO 12,800. They all looked good, I kept the shots at 30 secs and at f4, so changing the ISO simply gave me brighter or darker shots. #1 and 2 were shot at ISO 6400 and #3 was shot at ISO 12,800. I didn't see any real difference in noise between the shots, and it's great the flexibilty these newer DSLR's are giving us when it comes to shooting low light.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:46 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Stars join in

These are cool!

Jim,
I think the light is Green River. It's closer than you think.
Either that or radiation...

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:49 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Stars join in

Really neat and something I plan to do on my camping trip to Deadhorse point next week. I think the silhouette works well when doing a dark sky moonless shot. Having prominent landscape peaks as in 1 and 3 helps. I may need to go to Arches to get some vertical landmarks.

Thanks for posting your settings. What FL?

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:56 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Stars join in

ckcarr wrote:
These are cool!

Jim,
I think the light is Green River. It's closer than you think.
Either that or radiation...

Thanks Craig, yeah I guess it could be Green River. As you say, it is a lot closer than one would think. Though.... now that you mention it my D800 is still glowing green, so maybe the radiation theory does hold water...

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:00 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Stars join in

ben egbert wrote:
Really neat and something I plan to do on my camping trip to Deadhorse point next week. I think the silhouette works well when doing a dark sky moonless shot. Having prominent landscape peaks as in 1 and 3 helps. I may need to go to Arches to get some vertical landmarks.

Thanks for posting your settings. What FL?

Hey Ben,

Thanks so much, I am glad you liked them. You definitely should try some night shots, you will be in some great areas for it.

Yeah, I am all for not forcing the light. If there had been a moon up to provide some lumination to the foreground, I would have taken it. But in this case, it's dark, and as you said, the silhouettes help.

The focal length is 16mm, I used my 16-35mm on these. Being as it was so dark, I wanted to be able to make sure I got proper focus, and the D800 will autofocus in pitch black, so that helped.

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:11 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Stars join in

JimFox wrote:
Hey Ben,

Thanks so much, I am glad you liked them. You definitely should try some night shots, you will be in some great areas for it.

Yeah, I am all for not forcing the light. If there had been a moon up to provide some lumination to the foreground, I would have taken it. But in this case, it's dark, and as you said, the silhouettes help.

The focal length is 16mm, I used my 16-35mm on these. Being as it was so dark, I wanted to be able to make sure I got proper focus, and the D800 will autofocus in
...Show more

Thanks, my 16-35 is my main star shooter. I may even use f2.8. I have some experience with moonlit shots but few with dark nights. I know focus can be tough. It will be a new moon the 9th. I usually do this around full moon but never get great stars.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Stars join in

#3 for me! Best composition of the bunch, and I like how the clouds look like they are coming from the centre of the frame.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:33 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Stars join in

Awesome job - I like #1 & 3 especially.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Stars join in

Great set Jim!
My favorite of the bunch is the third. The night clouds help balancing the comp.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:15 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Stars join in

Cool...this excites me to start playing with night stars.....thank you for the motivation...very nice!!

Roman

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Todd
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Stars join in

Really nice Jim! I like the colors But you have captured in these photos. The high ISO definitely has worked out in your favor but like you said some moonlight would produce a little bit more light on the landscape. However I really like these a lot you definitely have a great eye for photography. Next week I go on vacation to the Texas star party in Fort Davis Texas, I cannot wait to get some great Milky Way shots with my cameras. I'm glad that the firmware update did not affect the noise in the camera at all. Those are great shots, keep them coming.

Todd

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:36 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Stars join in

Nice shots, thanks for sharing!

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:01 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Stars join in

Jim,
that last one is just awesome. I love the stars in the 1st 2, but the comp of #3 takes it here.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:02 AM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Stars join in

Wonderful set, Jim. No Favorites here. All are nicely composed and processed.
Nicely done indeed.

JBR

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Stars join in

Really, really excellent stuff, Jim. Your deft touch with the light gives a real sense of being there!
Well done!

Barry

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Stars join in

Hi Jim,

A fine series and #1 for me.

Bob

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:10 PM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Stars join in

Jim,

Really sweet colors in these shots, and I think the clouds add a great bit of interest. I really enjoy your work!

When there's moisture in the air, you can see light pollution on the horizon from *many* miles away show up in your shots.

-David

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:20 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Stars join in

great set, I like the second one with the stairs peeking through the clouds

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:58 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Stars join in

Cool shots Tim. It's amazing how it can handle the high ISO's so well. Did you use a fog filter in these shots?

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:16 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Stars join in

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks, my 16-35 is my main star shooter. I may even use f2.8. I have some experience with moonlit shots but few with dark nights. I know focus can be tough. It will be a new moon the 9th. I usually do this around full moon but never get great stars.

Hey Ben,

My preference is to shoot with a 1/4 to 1/2 moon to provide a light source for the foreground. The trick then is to shoot with the moon to your back. The same would hold though for a full moon, to shoot with it at your back and when it's as low to the horizon as possible. That will still give you a nice display of stars on the opposite horizon.

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:41 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password