Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

Jglaser757
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

I have been spending my time between this board and and another one, And , I must say that there are some exceptionally talented photographers here!! I am really enjoying the images posted.

I wonder why?

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

Why? Because most WORK for their shots! So they have to be good!!

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #3 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

ckcarr wrote:
Why? Because most WORK for their shots! So they have to be good!!

I know all the photographers here work their shots,,the question was directed towards why their is such a huge difference between the talent on the boards..

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

It comes down to the environment...

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:56 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

Jglaser757 wrote:
I know all the photographers here work their shots,,the question was directed towards why their is such a huge difference between the talent on the boards..

What I said was they "WORK FOR" their shots, not "work their shots." Which are two entirely different things.

And what I meant was they are usually serious landscape photographers when their passion allows it. I have personally met several of the members from here and can say they are not typically generalists, or those that just stick a camera out the car window at a pretty sight. They genuinely have an appreciation and interest in the outdoors and landscape photography, and will often plan their vacations around a landscape location. Not the other way around (take a vacation and click a few snapshots). They often sacrifice all their free time looking for the next, better shot.

Many also have very good equipment that they have spent time to learn (within their means or beyond). Good cameras, lenses, tripods, etc. They study books and other images, striving to improve or better what they see. They learn from the "high end" photographers that post here also. So everyone is being lifted up...

They also have devoted time to learning their choice of processing software to bring out the best in their images.

It's like anything though, there are probably some sites that are better, and some that are worse. I have talked to one or two photographers that tell me there are even better sites out there for landscapes. Just as there are worse (as far as image quality). However, as far as the "mix" of participants here, I'd say the overall quality of skills and images produced is quite high.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:14 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

Sunny Sra wrote:
It comes down to the environment...

Exactly, this is a photography based forum, not a gear based one. We just happen to have a few sections for gear. And the people here make it a good community.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:22 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that most of the photographers here are always looking to improve, and are receptive to feedback. There are a lot of forums out there where people simply look for a pat on the back, and have a large ego to go with it. That sort of attitude is not beneficial to a photography community, and those people don't usually stick around very long. We get those type of "photographers" from time to time though.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

I agree. Since joining and participating on this forum my work has improved and will continue to do so. I used to post a few forums and now only post here for the reasons Craig, Ben V and Ben H have mentioned.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

Ben Horne wrote:
I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that most of the photographers here are always looking to improve, and are receptive to feedback. There are a lot of forums out there where people simply look for a pat on the back, and have a large ego to go with it. That sort of attitude is not beneficial to a photography community, and those people don't usually stick around very long. We get those type of "photographers" from time to time though.

I think Ben really nails it. This is a great community, one that has a very "family" feel to it. We have a great core group of people in here, people who are secure in their own work and are not afraid to share and help others grow, all the while continuing to grow themselves. It's by no means a perfect forum, after all we are people with flaws and warts and all, but most of us bring a friendly civility to the table. It's a forum of friends for the most part, so we do want to be courteous to each other, but we can also feel free to be real and open in sharing suggestions and comments, as friends should be able to do.

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #10 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

I love the passion of the photographers here.

My favorite thing to do is plan a trip to a national park,,get up at about 4:30 am, scramble down some rocks to the shoreline and wait in 30 degree weather for about 45 minutes to capture that moment in time. I love it when the landscape explodes with color. Its fleeting

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:25 PM
hashbaz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

I think that the biggest reason why there are such a large percentage of great photographers on this site is because the forum founder/owner is such a great photographer. I think that this set the mood/feel of the forum. After a few more already-good-and-looking-to-improve photographers joined, it encourages other already-good-and-looking-to-improve photographers to join. People generally search out groups that they already fit into, or groups that they want to fit into.

May 01, 2013 at 04:35 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #12 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

It is most definitely the "air" of the forum. The forum being photography based and not gear based has a lot to do with it. The right type of moderation also helps. Strong enough to keep the "IBA's" out (Internet Bad Asses....people who use anonymity to bully other people) Yet light enough to not restrict good and sometimes even spirited exchanges.

Then you just add in that the base of people here are not only photographers but fans OF photography. We enjoy looking as much as taking. Learning as much as teaching. Balance truly is the key here.

Roman

May 02, 2013 at 11:51 AM
J Mosher
• •
p.1 #13 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

roman.johnston wrote:
It is most definitely the "air" of the forum. The forum being photography based and not gear based has a lot to do with it. The right type of moderation also helps. Strong enough to keep the "IBA's" out (Internet Bad Asses....people who use anonymity to bully other people) Yet light enough to not restrict good and sometimes even spirited exchanges.

Then you just add in that the base of people here are not only photographers but fans OF photography. We enjoy looking as much as taking. Learning as much as teaching. Balance truly is the key here.

Roman

I agree with Roman. I don't post that often but I am on here almost daily. I refer to this forum if I am making a photo trip, looking for ideas and to see what other people are shooting.

Like the OP siad, there really are some great photogrpahers on here and I enjoy learning from them.

May 02, 2013 at 03:47 PM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #14 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

I'm a new picture taker, aspiring to one day be a photographer. The folks on this forum have been very helpful in helping me to grow. You just have to have an open mind and leave the ego at the door. Sometimes the criticism might sting a little but you cannot get defensive. Take it in the light and spirit that it was intended and use it to grow. I for one have been very appreciative of the feedback that I've received.

May 03, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Aaron Macomber
• • •
p.1 #15 · There are some really talented photographers here!!

I don't have the time to spend here like I once did, sometimes life takes you for a ride in other directions for a time. Even when I haven't had the time or focus to shoot or contribute to the forum, I've always tried to stop in and take a look at the work being posted, and it seldom disappoints. It's a great bunch of regulars, and an incredible pool of talent. I have a lot of respect for the lot.

May 04, 2013 at 03:46 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password