Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

khilleg
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Hello all,

I've been obsessed with the abandoned car shots I've been seeing lately. Maybe you've seen them, too, with flowers bursting all around. This past Saturday I was able to shoot the Dalles Mountain Ranch area. The flowers are going fast, though due to the hot weather!

#1: Zero MPH

After working an unexpected double shift Fri night, I made it a point to show up extra early to the Dalles. Came home at 10:30, bed at 11, and left for the Dalles at 3:30 the next morning. I get there and no sooner than a minutes later another photographer shows up and parks next to me! He was very nice, though, and so we both wandered over the hill to the abandoned car. BTW, there's lots of rusting things there (my kind of place).

Well, the sunrise had a lot to be desired. A low cloud hung onto the horizon so we didn't have much of a sky show like I heard happened on Fri. Anyway, this is what I first saw at about 5:30 that morning. It was a fun and tiring day!

#2: Rusted Farm Equipment

So I'm not sure what this was, but enough was there that I was compelled to check it out. Since I had some more time before the nice side lighting of the rising sun would start (waiting for the sun to rise over those low lying clouds to the east), I tried to get some shots here.

#3: Final Resting Place

Now back to the car. The sun was close to showing itself so I stayed close by to be ready for the shot. As I walked by the car I noticed that it's slow rusty demise had made some rusty holes in the roof. But what I thought was interesting was looking through and seeing a carpet of balsamroot. It was a difficult shot with the 17-40 which could only be done with two focal points and joined together later in Photoshop.

#4: Flowers for the Departed

Now the sun is shining! I ran around the car looking for the beset shot. I must've shot 60 frames trying to get the best vantage point. The bad news is that 80 degree weather really burned a lot of balsamroot. Rowena looked better. But that also means the lupine caught up and flowered quickly, too.

The last one for now. My wife mentioned this morning she noticed I was up late last night. Yeah, for THIS!

Some bad news, though. At Rowena I went to change lenses and while the camera body was on the tripod, a huge gust of wind came along and pushed over the tripod with camera and they both went crashing down onto some soft rocks:/ The camera turned out to be fine (some minor scratches on the body), but the tripod is no longer working. Looks like I'm out until I get a replacement part.

Kevin

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Excellent series, Kevin, I really enjoyed it.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Nice shots. Sucks about the tripod. What kind was it?

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Hey Kevin,

Nice work on these. I like #1 and 4 the best.

That's a drag about your tripod, but it's good that your camera is okay.

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Nice series Kevin...#3 is a great viewpoint, well s(c)ene!
cheers Andrew

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM
khilleg
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Thanks, all!

My tripod is nothing special, really - more sentimental that my wife got it for me. But it is a Bogen, and I'm looking for a better Manfrotto tripod with a ball head.

I'm sure most of you have had far worse happen to your equipment, though

Kevin

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:45 AM
jtharp5695

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Great series and love #4 the best, I think we all would be up late to edit these.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

nice set

May 01, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Great series Kevin. love the perspective of #3.

May 01, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

khilleg wrote:
I've been obsessed with the abandoned car shots I've been seeing lately. Maybe you've seen them, too, with flowers bursting all around. This past Saturday I was able to shoot the Dalles Mountain Ranch area. The flowers are going fast, though due to the hot weather!

Hot weather?? Would love to find some of that. If youíre looking for some clear skies and bitting cold strong wind, come to the coast.

Iíve dropped bodies too many times and never suffered any damage. Canít say the same for lenses. For what itís worth, I never leave a camera on a tripod while changing lenses.

Have you ever seen that old pickup with the flowers growing out of it on Sauvie Island? Great photo subject.

May 01, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Aaron Cowan
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Cool series Kevin. I really like the soft light and composition of #1. The unique perspective of #3 is very nice too.

May 02, 2013 at 04:29 PM
khilleg
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Thanks again, all!

Wingspar, I do know of that old pickup on SI. I'm usually with the fam when there, but I've considered stopping more than once!

Kevin

May 03, 2013 at 05:42 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

I like the first one most.

Helen

May 03, 2013 at 06:20 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

Nice set Kevin, sorry to hear about your tripod. The last one in the set was my fave.

Roman

May 03, 2013 at 01:01 PM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dalles Mountain Ranch

khilleg wrote:
Wingspar, I do know of that old pickup on SI. I'm usually with the fam when there, but I've considered stopping more than once!

Iíve taken lots of photos of it. It is most spectacular in late July and August when everything is in full bloom.

May 03, 2013 at 04:14 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password