Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2013 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

NsBenitez
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

It was a revelation when I discovered that years ago. LOVE that thing

May 09, 2013 at 07:11 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

HauntedHat wrote:
Is there some kind of tutorial/videos/something I can read that teach me how to properly use AF-ON on my D300? I've tried using it, but I haven't seen anything near as amazing as you guys say, so I guess I'm really not getting it.

There isn't anything amazing about it, it just means you can press the shutter button without the camera focusing which some people like.

May 09, 2013 at 07:20 PM
afm901
• •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

HauntedHat wrote:
Is there some kind of tutorial/videos/something I can read that teach me how to properly use AF-ON on my D300? I've tried using it, but I haven't seen anything near as amazing as you guys say, so I guess I'm really not getting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyPv1bLkwqA&feature=youtu.be

Scott

May 09, 2013 at 07:30 PM
afm901
• •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Mark_L wrote:
There isn't anything amazing about it...

I call it amazing! It makes an huge difference to me in how versatile the camera becomes when using the AF-On method.

Scott

May 09, 2013 at 07:35 PM
Kent_Photo
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I shoot a lot of running events and started using AF-ON several years ago. I want to get as many finish line shots with the clock shown in the frame as possible. I found that using AF-ON was more reliable and easier than trying to half-press the shutter especially in the middle stages of the race when several runners cross within a second or two of each other.

May 10, 2013 at 12:38 AM
evalf

p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I've started to experiment with AF-ON on my D600 and I'm very pleased so far. One thing that bothers me though is that I am now missing the AE-LOCK function as the button is now used for AF-ON. I've thought of assigning the AE-LOCK function to the shutter half press via custom setting C1. I was wondering though if there would be some adverse consequences to locking the exposure with every shot, especially with matrix metering. I've found this article by Nikon that states that AE lock should not be used with matrix metering. The article doesn't elaborate on what kind of problems would be created by using AE-LOCK with matrix metering. Could anyone explain to me exactly what the problem is with this? Thanks!

Edited on May 10, 2013 at 07:46 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2013 at 09:06 AM
therealhershey
• •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I've played around with it a little bit on my D800, but don't see the point. I prefer to manually change between AFS and ASC, and move my selected AF point around with the dpad. An out of focus shot isn't any better than a missed shot.

May 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM
afm901
• •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

therealhershey wrote:
I've played around with it a little bit on my D800, but don't see the point. I prefer to manually change between AFS and ASC, and move my selected AF point around with the dpad. An out of focus shot isn't any better than a missed shot.

Yeah, it's a stupid idea. We should get Nikon to remove the AF-On button from all their cameras!

Scott

May 10, 2013 at 05:02 PM
JHsu

p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Used this method for a while and certainly got used to it without issue, but it just didn't really stick with me. I've personally got no beef with the half-press AF activation method and simply prefer it for what I shoot.

May 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

afm901 wrote:
Yeah, it's a stupid idea. We should get Nikon to remove the AF-On button from all their cameras!

Scott

Scott,

Take a chill pill ... there is nothing in therealhershey post that you quoted that said AF-On is stupid, therealhershey simply said that he prefers to use the AF-S/AF-C selector switch.

That Nikon makes their cameras with both options to suit people's needs and/or preferences is a good thing.

Clearly the AF-ON button works great for you and the majority of people who have voted in the poll, but there is a good number of people that have different preferences ... nothing wrong with that.

Cheers,
Andre

May 11, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

JHsu wrote:
Used this method for a while and certainly got used to it without issue, but it just didn't really stick with me. I've personally got no beef with the half-press AF activation method and simply prefer it for what I shoot.

+10 Same here. Sports, action, stills, landscapes, the half-press works great.

May 11, 2013 at 02:08 PM
montym
• • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Yeah, just give yourself some time with it. Takes a few days of dedication but you may find
it's that "slice o' bread" Key thing to remember if tracking...keep your thumb depressed
while taking the shot. I've found that's the biggest frustration when teaching AF-ON for
those new to the technique. GL

As a result of this thread I have given the AF-ON button a try. Yes, it took me a few days of forgetting to use it or pressing the the wrong button and wondering why nothing is focusing

Right now i'm in the "best thing since sliced bread" camp.

Thanks for all of the information!

Monty

May 11, 2013 at 07:08 PM
zesto
• •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

afm901 wrote:
Yeah, the Pros are known for doing what is not "best". And Nikon and Canon encourage them to do what is not "best" by providing an AF-On button on all their pro and semi-pro cameras.

That has to be the funniest and lamest justification I have ever read here.

Scott

Some tolerance to other peoples opinions wouldn't go astray on this thread.

Nikon provides video too on many cameras, does that mean that we have to use it? It's an option just like the AF-ON button.

I made a point some time back of casually asking various pro's I know from fashion to sports, if they use the AF-ON button and two of seven did. However, what pros do or don't do is completely irrelevant as it's what suits the person using the camera that matters. I used AF-ON for some time then reverted back because it offers no advantage to me. Most of my subjects are static though and I'm perfectly happy using MF lenses.

This is mostly a good thread with good information for those that might like to try using AF-ON. It's obviously advantageous for some folks and not for some others though.

May 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Learn something new everyday. Will have to try this out.

May 13, 2013 at 01:55 AM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Mark_L wrote:
There isn't anything amazing about it, it just means you can press the shutter button without the camera focusing which some people like.

It's not just the AFON button by itself. There are other pieces to the puzzle. One is camera is always in AFC (not AFS). Another is that camera is in release priority (instead of the default focus priority). Depending on what you're shooting, you pick your focus mode (dynamic or single-point) and use the AFON button to focus, while using the shutter button to take the picture. This means that you must pay attention to whether the shot is in focus.

May 14, 2013 at 01:58 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Avi B wrote:
It's not just the AFON button by itself. There are other pieces to the puzzle. One is camera is always in AFC (not AFS).

AF-On does not require the camera to be set to AF-C. The AF-On is the same as a half-shutter press. It works in either AF-S or AF-C. It just matters whether your subject is stationary or not.

I shoot with AF-On most of the time, but have shooting bank B set for half-press. I don't think AF-On is "sliced-bread," just another efficient way to use a camera.

May 14, 2013 at 02:49 PM
blutch
• • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I love AF-ON. I used it 100% of the time. The only time I have problems is when using a tripod or monopod. I just can't get my hand in the same position as when I am hand holding... so it is very awkward to get to the AF-ON and shutter button... i have to contort my arm and hand. Any tricks on setting it up to be more natural? I'm using a gripped D600.

B

May 14, 2013 at 02:56 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password