Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Avi B wrote:
Well, it is slightly different. Your method is saying: let the camera focus all the time and I'll tell it when to stop focusing by AF-lock. The AFON method is saying: I will tell the camera when to start and stop focus.

The first method is kind of like automatic transmission, where on flat ground, the car will go until you press the brake pedal. The second method is manual transmission, as the car will not move until you put it in gear and press the gas pedal.

A concise and easy to understand way of stating AF-ON's function.

May 01, 2013 at 07:26 PM
afm901
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

binary visions wrote:
User 1: I THINK [PREFERENCE] IS GREAT
User 2: NO, [DIFFERENT PREFERENCE] IS BETTER. [PREFERENCE] IS THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD OF.
User 1: [DIFFERENT PREFERENCE] IS LAME, IT CAN'T DO [THING].
User 2: WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO [THING] WHEN YOU CAN DO [DIFFERENT THING]??

...sigh.

Last I checked, we don't all photograph the same subjects. Maybe both ways are valid and equally good for different uses or preferences? Perhaps?

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. I didn't say what you do is stupid or lame. I said it is not as versatile. From my way thinking, it is more difficult to do too.

Scott

May 01, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Avi B wrote:
Well, it is slightly different. Your method is saying: let the camera focus all the time and I'll tell it when to stop focusing by AF-lock. The AFON method is saying: I will tell the camera when to start and stop focus.

The first method is kind of like automatic transmission, where on flat ground, the car will go if you're in gear, until you press the brake pedal. The second method is manual transmission, as the car will not move until you put it in gear and press the gas pedal.

Yea, that's a very good analogy! I like it.

May 02, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Kry27
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Andre Labonte wrote:
No, you just let go of the AF-lock button with the shutter half down. Oh, but then I repeat myself ...

I said "let go off the shutter", not "letting it go halfway while letting go another button completely".

It can be a pain letting go halfway...

May 02, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Kry27 wrote:
I said "let go off the shutter", not "letting it go halfway while letting go another button completely".

It can be a pain letting go halfway...

That's an example of different strokes for different folks. I find hitting two buttons to take my shot during an action sequence a PITA. But I have no issue letting off the button half way.

May 02, 2013 at 11:56 AM
afm901
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Andre Labonte wrote:
That's an example of different strokes for different folks. I find hitting two buttons to take my shot during an action sequence a PITA. But I have no issue letting off the button half way.

Whatever.....no matter how you slice it you are wasting a button since you don't use the AF-On button.

The vast majority of Pros do not use your method. I wonder why? You are relatively unique in what you do and it's not because you found some special way of doing it that others could not figure out.

Hitting the AF-On button to focus during action sequences is a breeze. Like my thumb is doing something else? Plus, anytime something I don't want to focus on comes between me and the action subject I am tracking, I just let off of the button for a moment.

Something else that has not been mentioned is that VR is not activated by the AF-on button. This is a plus as I don't need or want VR doing its thing if I am not taking a picture. I control when VR is activated. This saves battery life too.

If I want to focus, lock exposure, and recompose, I don't have to hit two buttons and dedicate the Fn button to AE-L to do it.

What if I want to focus on a spot and take picture of that spot without the focus changing? It's simple to do using the AF-On button. It's a royal pain with your method. If I used your method, I would have to switch the camera to manual focusing mode.

If I want to manual focus a lens, all I have to do is let off the AF-On button and do so. If I used you settings, I would have to hold the AF-L button the entire time. No thanks....

So, while it is a matter of choice, your choice is not equal or better, just different and less flexible and not as good. If it were, many pros would be using it. Maybe some do, but I can guarantee that most don't and it's not because they are stupid or can't figure it out.

Scott

May 02, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Kry27
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Yeah - both is possible. Some like it more to track a moving object by pressing AFon permanently, as a "normal grip" holding the camera, not even thinking about the button. Then, every now and then, take an individual frame by hitting the shutter and letting it go completely again without having to worry about holding ut in the middle.
Of course holding the shutter only, but halfway pressed, delievers the same result if you manage to let go only halfway. Either is good.

But once you happen to miss the halfway position in letting go, track focus will have to start all over again.

May 02, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

afm901 wrote:
So, while it is a matter of choice, your choice is not equal or better, just different and less flexible and not as good. If it were, many pros would be using it. Maybe some do, but I can guarantee that most don't and it's not because they are stupid or can't figure it out.

Scott

Well Scotty my boy, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I've used both methods and find them equally flexible, just different.

Also, what most pros do is not necessarily what's best.

May 02, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Buckeye2604

p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Guys, please help me with this scenario:

When using the AE-L/AE-F button on a D600 to focus with spot metering...if I press and release to lock focus on a static object then recompose, will the metering be done on the original focus point or where the focus point ends up after recomposing?

May 02, 2013 at 05:22 PM
freighterdog74

p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Been using 'backbutton focus' for 7 months and love it. Press and hold the AF/AE-Lock button and hold, and I get continuous AF for things in motion. Tap and release, and I get AF-S single mode. For stationary objects. I never have to deal with unintended exposure due to holding the shutter release half way.

May 02, 2013 at 07:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Avi B
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Buckeye2604 wrote:
Guys, please help me with this scenario:

When using the AE-L/AE-F button on a D600 to focus with spot metering...if I press and release to lock focus on a static object then recompose, will the metering be done on the original focus point or where the focus point ends up after recomposing?

Is your D600 set to standard button-ology or the AFON way?

If it is the standard way, then it should lock both focus and metering.

If you have switched it to AFON only, then AFAIK, the metering will be done on wherever the focus point is.

May 02, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Buckeye2604

p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Avi B wrote:
Is your D600 set to standard button-ology or the AFON way?

If it is the standard way, then it should lock both focus and metering.

If you have switched it to AFON only, then AFAIK, the metering will be done on wherever the focus point is.

I did some experimenting and you are correct. With AF-On only the metering will be where the focus point is. I guess to lock exposure i'll either have to assign the Fn button or allow a half shutter press to carry out the lock.

May 03, 2013 at 12:18 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Buckeye2604 wrote:
I did some experimenting and you are correct. With AF-On only the metering will be where the focus point is. I guess to lock exposure i'll either have to assign the Fn button or allow a half shutter press to carry out the lock.

I'm not familiar with the D600, but on a D4 or D3s you can set half shutter focus, hold the AF-ON to lock that focus, and recompose, setting exposure. Not good for moving objects, but useful when shooting an event.

May 03, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Well the pro bodies have AE-L in addition to AFON as separate buttons... At least on the landscape orientation.

May 03, 2013 at 01:05 AM
afm901
• •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Also, what most pros do is not necessarily what's best.

Yeah, the Pros are known for doing what is not "best". And Nikon and Canon encourage them to do what is not "best" by providing an AF-On button on all their pro and semi-pro cameras.

That has to be the funniest and lamest justification I have ever read here.

Scott

May 03, 2013 at 01:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Best is such a relative/ambiguous term.

May 03, 2013 at 02:16 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Avi B wrote:
Well the pro bodies have AE-L in addition to AFON as separate buttons... At least on the landscape orientation.

Actually, Nikon dropped the AE-L button on the D4 and, I assume all future pro bodies also.

May 03, 2013 at 04:46 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

afm901 wrote:
Yeah, the Pros are known for doing what is not "best". And Nikon and Canon encourage them to do what is not "best" by providing an AF-On button on all their pro and semi-pro cameras.

Scott

Tbh I agree, just because you are a pro doesn't mean you are better technically than an amateur. Just watch many of the creativeLIVE courses by well-known pros and some of the questionable gear knowledge and technical advice issued.

Anyway this issue seems to have gone the way off canon vs nikon, 3rd party lenses vs nikon blah blah. People will use works best for them and what they shoot.

May 03, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Avi B wrote:

That is one thing I do find annoying; that the battery grips do not have the same buttons available as the main body. Having two programmable buttons for the thumb in both orientations would be rather nice.

May 03, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

afm901 wrote:

Scott

Tbh I agree, just because you are a pro doesn't mean you are better technically than an amateur. Just watch many of the creativeLIVE courses by well-known pros and some of the questionable gear knowledge and technical advice issued.

Anyway this issue seems to have gone the way off canon vs nikon, 3rd party lenses vs nikon blah blah. People will use works best for them and what they shoot.

May 03, 2013 at 11:53 AM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password