Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

trenchmonkey wrote:
It just doesn't force the focus mechanism to be directly linked to your choice to release the shutter.
THIS ^ doesn't take a genius to see the value here.

Nope, it does not ... but, the same effect can be achieved by using the AF-LOCK function ... the latter I find much more intuitve and useful for me.

As long as Nikon continues to offer both functions, all it's customers will be happy in this regard.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Wes Bailey
• •
p.3 #2 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Until I bought a D700 I had very limited knowledge about AF-ON and how beneficial it could be for nailing focus on moving objects.

Since owning my D700 I shot 2 roller derby bouts - the first without autofocus controlled by AF-ON and the second with autofocus controlled by AF-ON only. Lesson learned! What difference this made in my keeper rate - I should mention that I also reduced AF-C dynamic area from 21 to 9 points which greatly helped locking focus on the eyes of the skaters.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:29 PM
static808
• •
p.3 #3 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

nikt wrote:
I like it because no-one can use my cameras.

hahahaha, best post yet.

"ummm... i think your autofocus isn't working..."

"yeah, you gotta use the AF-ON button..."

"i pressed the AF-ON button, but it didnt turn the 'AF' on, it still wont autofocus..."

"sigh...just step away from the camera, please..."

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:43 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Nope, it does not ... but, the same effect can be achieved by using the AF-LOCK function ... the latter I find much more intuitve and useful for me.

As long as Nikon continues to offer both functions, all it's customers will be happy in this regard.

But it is not the same fluid action nor is it as extensible in all situations.

Your base assumption is that the subject was static. In which case AF-Lock would probably be just fine. However, if your subject was moving, then AF-Lock is not going to work very well.

The beauty of AF-ON with continuous AF and release priority is that it gives you, the photographer, full control of the focus mechanism.

If your subject is static, then pressing AFON till you get the focus where you need and then you release AFON. If you are shooting from a tripod (say group photos), then this approach works great.

If you are shooting something moving, then you can choose when to engage or disengage the focus mechanism.

So AFON with AFC and release priority works in more situations, once you train yourself in the technique.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:06 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.3 #5 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

When I got my D800 last year it was my first Nikon body with a dedicated AF-ON button and now I am a total convert. AF-ON only, AF-C always, dynamic 9 typically. I think it has improved my AF by forcing me to be more deliberate about it than I was in the past.

As Avi B notes above, a huge benefit is essentially getting AF-S and AF-C at your whim without changing modes. Continue to press AF-ON is equiv to AF-C, press and release is like AF-S, etc.

I've gone back to my consumer bodies and changed the AE-L/AF-L over to be AF-ON, just because I've gotten so used to it now (although the button locations leaves a lot to be desired). Sounds crazy, but I think the lack of an AF-ON button on the D7100 (and D600) is evidence that there may still be a D400 coming.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:34 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #6 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Lack of AF On drove me buggy on my OMD though at least the nice touch focus helped. Sony's reversed way of doing it drives me insane.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:09 PM
InlawBiker
• •
p.3 #7 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

static808 wrote:
hahahaha, best post yet.

It's true. If I have the D5100 set up for AF-ON my wife can't use the camera. Sometimes I confuse myself if I forget I was using it for action and put it away this way.

I think it's a plot from Nikon to get me to buy another camera. If it just had a U1 & U2 mode it would solve everything.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:40 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Seriously it takes me 20 seconds to teach rear AF. Just yesterday, I handed a judge (long story/happy ending)
my D7K and Sigma 35 f1.4 He offered to take a couple of small group shots, it was set @ f2 and he nailed 'em both!
By his own admission he was photographically challenged BUT he knew his thumb from his index finger. Just sayin'

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:46 PM
afm901
• •
p.3 #9 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Avi B wrote:

Don't waste your time trying to persuade him. He won't see it......

Scott

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Avi B wrote:

Your base assumption is that the subject was static. In which case AF-Lock would probably be just fine. However, if your subject was moving, then AF-Lock is not going to work very well.

The beauty of AF-ON with continuous AF and release priority is that it gives you, the photographer, full control of the focus mechanism.

If your subject is static, then pressing AFON till you get the focus where you need and then you release AFON. If you are shooting from a
...Show more

I fundamentally disagree. I assume my subject is initially moving. I simply do a half press of the shutter and voila, my AF system is instantly working. This is no different than pressing the AF on button. If I wish to fire the shutter and not have the AF system turn on, then I press AF-LOCK and the shutter at the same time, and then release AF-LOCK when I want the AF active again.

6 one way, half dozen the other. People are making a big deal over nothing ... this is honestly an issue of preference, not performance. I have just as much control over the AF system as you. I just disable it when I don't want it as opposed to the AF-ON folks who enable it when they do want it. I shoot sports and air shows without any issue what-so-ever.

Remember that the AF-LOCK button does not really lock the AF, it just shuts it off. I can still manually over-ride at any time ... something I can do anyway with AF-S lenses even if the AF is engaged.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DGC1
• • •
p.3 #11 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Can someone, without emotion or smart remarks, please explain what using the AF On button does that using the shutter release does not do?

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

People are saying they use AF-ON with AF-C mode to generate AF-S mode when desired.

I use AF-C mode on the shutter button and make it behave like AF-S mode when desired by using AF-LOCK

Six one way, half doesen the other. I've tried both, I can do both, but prefer having AF-C on the shutter button with AF-LOCK when needed.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:55 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

DGC1 wrote:
Can someone, without emotion or smart remarks, please explain what using the AF On button does that using the shutter release does not do?

Exactly what I stated earlier: it decouples the mechanism of focusing, from the mechanism of releasing the shutter.

That means you can release the shutter without forcing the camera to refocus every time. You CAN have the camera refocus constantly, by holding down AF-ON, but you can also choose to release the shutter without triggering autofocus.

Additionally, you can leave AF-C enabled all the time, because you can half press the shutter to engage VR and metering, without having the camera constantly adjusting its focus. You press AF-ON, and the camera focuses. If you release AF-ON then, it is behaving just like single focus AF. If you want continuous AF, you just hold down the AF-ON button.

If you've tied focus to the shutter button, you can't have the shutter button half-engaged, thus triggering VR and metering, without the camera constantly refocusing.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

DGC1 wrote:

AF-ON mode (i.e. control AF by activating when you want AF)

If you have a static subject and you wish to recompose, you press AF-ON to focus, let it go, and recompose without issue. You press the shutter button when ready to take a shot.

If your subject is moving, you press AF-ON to track focus and can release it if something enters the frame that would throw the AF off (happens all the time in sports). You press the AF-ON button to reengage the AF system.

Shutter & AF Lock Mode (control the AF by shutting it off when you don't want it)

If you have a static subject and you wish to recompose, you press the shutter button half way and let it go, recompose and then press the AF-LOCK and shutter button at the same time to take the shot.

If your subject is moving, you pres the shutter button half way and track. If something enters the frame that would throw the AF off, you simpley hit the AF-LOCK button and release it when you are ready to track AF again.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:01 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.3 #15 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Andre Labonte wrote:
this is honestly an issue of preference

Yup.

It's about choosing something that works well for you. I was simply expressing my happiness with my newfound preference - and perhaps suggesting that other people give it a shot without quickly dismissing it as unfamiliar, as I did initially.

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 07:03 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

binary visions wrote:
If you've tied focus to the shutter button, you can't have the shutter button half-engaged, thus triggering VR and metering, without the camera constantly refocusing.

WRONG!!!!

You can by depressing the AF-LOCK button! That is what I do all the time.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

binary visions wrote:
Yup.

It's about choosing something that works well for you. I was simply expressing my happiness with my newfound preference - and perhaps suggesting that other people give it a shot without quickly dismissing it as unfamiliar, as I did initially.

Now on that we can agree. I've tried both and given how my coordination works, I get much better results they way I do it. Obviously others like the AF-ON method.

I get tired of people saying AF-ON is superior ... it is not, it is a matter of preference.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:05 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.3 #18 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Andre Labonte wrote:
WRONG!!!!

You can by depressing the AF-LOCK button! That is what I do all the time.

Okay, okay, yes, I understand. You can lock focus. I didn't feel, though, that the question was saying, "what does AF-ON do that the shutter release + focus lock can't do" - I was responding to what I felt the spirit of the question was, which in my mind, was "why would you want to move focusing from one button to another?"

I'm happy your method works for you and am not evangelizing that all should be converted to another method... just sharing an experience and information.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:06 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

binary visions wrote:
Okay, okay, yes, I understand. You can lock focus. I didn't feel, though, that the question was saying, "what does AF-ON do that the shutter release + focus lock can't do" - I was responding to what I felt the spirit of the question was, which in my mind, was "why would you want to move focusing from one button to another?"

I'm happy your method works for you and am not evangelizing that all should be converted to another method... just sharing an experience and information.

Oh, but it did not come across that way ... you can do it, but with a different set of buttons pressed. Let me get some thread to re-attach your head now that I've ripped it off

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:08 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.3 #20 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Let me get some thread to re-attach your head now that I've ripped it off

No need... it's more efficient to pour beer directly into my neck hole.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:13 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password