Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

turnert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Since Moby Dick was a minnow.

~Ted

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:13 AM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

What is AF-ON? (sorry, Nikon newb!)

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:11 AM
infimum

p.2 #3 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Do you find the AE-L/AF-L button awkwardly placed to serve as AF-ON (for bodies that don't have a dedicated button)? I never got comfortable with it on my D7000.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:23 AM
afm901
• •
p.2 #4 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

infimum wrote:
Do you find the AE-L/AF-L button awkwardly placed to serve as AF-ON (for bodies that don't have a dedicated button)? I never got comfortable with it on my D7000.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:29 AM
rosella

p.2 #5 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

infimum wrote:

No. It has not been as big an adjustment as I expected on the D7100 (from D300s).

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:09 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I HATE AF-On ... apparently that places me in the minority.

Instead, what I prefer is AF-Lock to stop focusing when I don't want it active.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:11 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.2 #7 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I've had this on the old D1x body originally... And all the way through the pro line of bodies. But I'm also of the mindset of Andre here. I don't hate it.. I just prefer to use the AF-L/AE-L on my thumb.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:04 AM
ucphotog
• •
p.2 #8 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I guess I am another minority member. I read about AF-ON. Tried it. Never really could figure out how to make it work for me. I should probably try again. However, it's utility in shooting landscapes or macro shots in liveview is not really clear, either.

On the other hand, I was never good at console video games, either. "Press triangle-circle-A while swinging your sword to control it's ability to ... [whatever]". Really? Not a chance.

Of course, maybe I gravitate toward styles of shooting, where eye hand coordination is less critical, and hence where I won't need to press so many buttons in some coordinated fashion? For the same reason, perhaps, that I was no good at video games with complex command sequences?

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 05:42 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:41 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

It's the only way to shoot birds !

I love it and had to immediately remap the D600 when I bought that as back up to the D800 since, incredibly, it has no dedicated AF-On button.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:42 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #10 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Patrick Cox wrote:

Check the back of your camera .
It's to use the AF-ON button instead of the shutter button to activate autofocus. So pressing the shutterbutton won't engage autofocus. It gives you more precision on when to autofocus.
And YES I love it, thanks to you guys here I discovered it!
Really nice to use on bodies like my D800e, don't like it as much on the D7000. (button is not placed very well)

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Frogfish
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Patrick Cox wrote:

There is a button on the back of some Nikon cameras designated as AF-On. Basically what it does when activated is reduce the shutter button to shutter release only (it does not attempt to focus when half depressed). So, although you are now using two buttons instead of one to focus (AF-On) and release the shutter (Shutter button), it gives you the ultimate control over when and where the camera will attempt to focus or refocus.
This comes in very handy in, for example, birding, when you have a bird in a bush that requires some manual focusing to get it in focus - you certainly don't want the camera attempting to refocus after you have attained critical focus ! This can be applied to many other areas of photography.

Some cameras, such as the D600, don't have this button. You can however remap this function to another button. I remapped it to AE-L and remapped AE-L to Fn.

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 05:58 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:50 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I also like using shutter half press and then locking focus with the AF-On. Hold it until you want to refocus.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:55 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.2 #13 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

infimum wrote:

For me no, I use the dedicated AF-On button on the D800 and switch over to the AE-L/AF-L button on the D7100 without issue.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:28 AM
Lance B
• • •
p.2 #14 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I agree with Frogfish, it's the only ay to shoot birds!

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:58 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

infimum wrote:

I didn't like it on my D300 because the larger camera body placed it outside of a comfortable zone. I could reach it but it wasn't in a natural place where my thumb normally fell.

I don't have that problem on my D7100, it seems to be comfortable for me.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I like it because no-one can use my cameras.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

I donít really use it that much but do sometimes for landscapes and tripod work just to set focus, otherwise I canít understand why you want to take a picture when not focusing. Maybe it depends on what you shoot?

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.2 #18 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Haven't tried the AF On button on my D 300s yet, but could have used this tip on Saturday taking close ups of flowers. I really like being able to move the focus point around on this camera also. Then there's the Horizon option.
Coming from a D 80, the D 300s is amazing. I wish I had bought one used for about the same price as my D 80.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Mark_L wrote:
I donít really use it that much but do sometimes for landscapes and tripod work just to set focus, otherwise I canít understand why you want to take a picture when not focusing. Maybe it depends on what you shoot?

Wildlife is a pretty common scenario where you don't want to keep refocusing. Especially birds or other creatures who hide among branches/trees/plants.

If I've, say, got a bird in a tree, I'm in a fixed position relative to the animal, but I may take 10+ shots trying to find the right pose or head position. My focus distance doesn't change, and having the camera refocus every time increases the probability that the focus will change and maybe I'll end up with the wing instead of the eye in focus, or a leaf that's intruding on the scene.

Also, it lets me not worry about small composition changes - since my next shot won't refocus, the placement of the focus point isn't critical.

And then, if you do want to keep focusing, you can. It just doesn't force the focus mechanism to be directly linked to your choice to release the shutter.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

It just doesn't force the focus mechanism to be directly linked to your choice to release the shutter.
THIS ^ doesn't take a genius to see the value here.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:26 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password