Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

entrefoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

How do transcend cards compare to sandisk or Lexar? I purchased a 5D3 and my current cards are small and not optimal speeds for video. Transcend cards are quite a bit cheaper than the sandisk and Lexar, but how is their quality?

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:38 PM
mitesh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

You will likely get the full range of testimonials in response to your question. There will be those that are loyal to certain brands, and others that will state that they have used multiple brands without issue or differences in performance. See here, for just one such thread. Personally, I have used all three brands and the Transcend cards performed just as well as the others. I am fortunate in that I have never experienced a CF card failure to date (knocks on wood). If you're looking for speed comparisons, I would suggest reading this thread. Even though the tests were done on 1DX/1DIV, the 5D3 will see many of the same speed benefits as 1DX.

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:36 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

I've got about 8 Transcend cards, a mixture of CF and SD. No failures.

I had 4 Kingston cards, 2 CF and 2 SD. One CF "failed" - no data loss, but the writes and reads became so slow as to be unusable.

I have 4 Sandisk cards. One failed with all data being lost on the card.

This is not to say Kingston & Sandisk cards have a 25% failure rate and Transcend is bulletproof. I am buying new Sandisk cards for my new camera because they're the fastest, so clearly I trust them. Just that experiences vary all over the place and I think Transcend cards are a good value and reliable from what I've seen.

Apr 29, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

My test of a few cards

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1202766

Apr 29, 2013 at 06:34 PM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

I haven't had any trouble with transcend cards. I have had one lexar professional card die on me after shooting a music festival. No sandisk troubles.

Apr 29, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

Transcend quality is very good. Just like the other two brands. It's only speed and price that are different between those brands. Lexar have the fastest card. Transcend have the lowest price. Sandisk are as expensive as Lexar but slower.
I have a lot of cards. And I have all those 3 brands. Today I only buy Transcend and Lexar. I prefer those two brands over Sandisk. (for speed or price)

Apr 29, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

I use transcend, lexar and sandisk all together in a mix and have been doing so for several years. For landscape work, i don't need the fastest card..i just need most capacity. For shooting running cheetah or yawning lions i use fast cards (transcend 1000x, lexar 1000x, sandisk extreme pro)

Apr 29, 2013 at 09:47 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

I used to use Sandisk exclusively but Lars has converted me into a Transcend believer. I have used all cards from all three manufactures and never had a cf failure. I do mostly nature and high frame rates so speed is important and loving the Transcend 1000x 64 gb cards.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

I used to use Sandisk exclusively but Lars has converted me into a Transcend believer. I have used all cards from all three manufactures and never had a cf failure. I do mostly nature and high frame rates so speed is important and loving the Transcend 1000x 64 gb cards.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

I've been using the same Sandisk CF cards since 2008 - I know I'm tempting fate, but I just gotta do it!

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

I have had all 3 brands over the past few years using with Nikon bodies D3, D4. In the end the transcends were the first to be sold due to lower performance in said bodies vs the others. Transcends do seem to work better in Canon slots. Unfortunately since the D4 also uses XQD they all tend to seem slow vs XQD

Edited on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:50 PM · View previous versions

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:14 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

Thanks to Lars I strictly use Transcend, can buy 2 of those cards for one Sandisk. Got no problem "machine gunning" with the 1DX

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

I'm another former Sandisk buyer, started buying Transcend and never looked back. I like the pretty colors that they use on their cards, lol. The only problems I've had was with an old 4g microdrive CF card, remember those?

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

I'm also a former Sandisk user. Today I mostly use Transcend. The Transcend 1000x cards are faster than my Sandisk Exreme Pro cards. And they also have a lower price.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:57 AM
verbiage
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

What Mitesh said above.

...and, to add another data point to your implied survey , the only problem I've every had with a CF card was with Transcend on a 5D II. It continued to work just fine in the camera, but stopped working with all CF card readers. I relegated it to deep reserves (as in "never-use backup of a backup of a backup) and am a little wary of Transcend now. Pretty irrational, I know, but I came close to being burned, so am now "twice shy."

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:38 AM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

I've used all three brands. I've only had failures with Sandisk.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

Monkey Falls wrote:
I've used all three brands. I've only had failures with Sandisk.

+1

Same for me. Used all 3 brands. Only failure with Sandisk

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:21 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Transcend memory cards vs Sandisk or lexar

Used to use Sandisk only. Now use Transcend and Lexar. My only failure was a Sandisk CF card, but I used them for far longer than I have the other two, so the likelihood of failure was much higher I suppose.

May 01, 2013 at 05:50 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password