Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Flowers

Squirrely Eyed
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Flowers

Hey, I moved the obnoxious logo to a less obtrusive place.

I love flowers and taking their pictures. They make great models so long as the breeze cooperates -- they are beautiful, shine in sunlight, and never complain so long as they're not picked at.

As such, I often don't know what they are -- bonus for anybody who can identify the flowers in these photos.

I look forward to your thoughts & comments.

Yes, I'm aware the first one is not a flower....

Apr 29, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Flowers

I like photographing flowers, too. One thing I'd suggest is to not center the subject in the frame; it looks better if you put the primary subject at one of the rule-of-thirds intersections. Also, in the second, and even more so in the third, there are other colorful areas that distract attention from the main flower. In the third, I don't think the second bloom is too bad, but the image would be better without the cut-off one at the edge.

I've taken the liberty of making some cropped versions of those two to illustrate what I mean. I made two different crops of the second one because I don't think the one with the flower not centered is necessarily much better - some might say there's too much dead space on the left.

Apr 29, 2013 at 01:51 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• •
p.1 #3 · Flowers

Thanks for the feedback. I like your cropping work. I see how on the 3rd picture removing the background flower on the right makes the main flower punch out a bit more.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Flowers

Apart from a pleasing composition for the main subject, one of the ideas behind the cropping is to remove distractions that draw your eye away from the subject and off the picture. It's ok to have two or three subjects that cause your eye to move about without settling on any of them in particular but not if it takes your eye right out of the picture, because at that point you've potentially lost the viewer's attention.

- Alan

May 07, 2013 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password