FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 5D3 to ?

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5D3 to ?

redisburning wrote:
OP I did the graduate school thing too, and like you I will never go beyond the amateur level. People who haven't gone through it simply do not understand what it does to you, and how much it stretches your budget, time and desire to do stuff.

I am not sure if you like photographs or photographing. I am definitely in the latter camp. If you are too, I will just tell you that if you want to get more enjoyment out of less shots then you ought to seriously consider film photography, especially in a hands on way. A Contax
...Show more

i have to say, i didn't do it for cost savings, but i started shooting 6x6 and 35mm film a few months ago, and i have to say that i am enjoying shooting fewer frames but putting more time into shots and developing. i started developing my own b&w, and it cost me $100 to get everything i needed.

douglasf13 wrote:
X100 or X100s. The only camera I like shooting more is the M9, but the gulf in price makes the Fujis a no-brainer.

film also allowed me to shoot an M6, as i wouldn't have got to experience a Leica rangefinder if i was buying digital. (the only downside is now all my other cameras feel like plastic.)

i would agree with the x100/x100s. you'll be surprised how much you don't miss constantly fiddling with changing lenses or thinking about other options. you're shooting 35 and that's the end of it. nice and simple. great looking files.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5D3 to ?

goosemang wrote:
i have to say, i didn't do it for cost savings, but i started shooting 6x6 and 35mm film a few months ago, and i have to say that i am enjoying shooting fewer frames but putting more time into shots and developing. i started developing my own b&w, and it cost me $100 to get everything i needed.

film also allowed me to shoot an M6, as i wouldn't have got to experience a Leica rangefinder if i was buying digital. (the only downside is now all my other cameras feel like plastic.)

i would agree with the x100/x100s. you'll be
...Show more

Shooting film gives you access to some GREAT cameras. Plus, being forced to slow down does immeasurable good to most people's photography. By far the biggest improvement that I have visibly seen to my own shooting was when I started shooting film.

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:50 PM
Chrissearle
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5D3 to ?

Personally I'd recommend a two camera kit, the X100 and a DP2 (or 3)M. That way you get two useful FL's and a camera for landscape/detail as well as street, travel etc. Still much lighter than a DSLR/Lens and affordable too. I love both of these cameras and have not really touched my 5D3 since I got them.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:22 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5D3 to ?

Keep the 5D3 and Canon lenses as they are invaluable for capturing travel pictures, zoo pictures,
botanical garden shots, etc. in ways that most compact cameras cannot. My wife has
Sony Nex-5 which is great for most family shots. I don't see your situation as an "either/or"
one unless you need the money from the sale of the Canon equipment, which will not
be superseded in the near future. If you sell it, it may be hard to re-assemble the "kit"
you have without extra cost.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:33 AM
DRosdahl
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5D3 to ?

Thank you all for your continued input. RE: grad school, yes I will need the money so that is the primary reason for cutting back, secondary reasons are the others; ie. weight, hassle, etc.

Just last night I was editing more photos in LR from my only trip with my 5D3 and was lamenting with my wife that it hurt to look at them because they are so phenomenal; however I simply do not need $5,000 in photography equipment at this point in my life. Maybe someday I will invest to this level again but for now around $1,000 in equipment should do me just fine. I purchased a like new X100S yesterday here on the forum and will be sure to post some pics on the "Alt" forum.

Thanks again for everyone's input. One of my favorite things about this forum is how everyone comes from such different backgrounds and such different stages in life to talk and share photography. It truly is awesome!

For the next few years I am in no means leaving this scene, just scaling back! Thanks again!

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:42 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5D3 to ?

Make sure to post those X100s images in the dedicated X100/X100s threads. Enjoy!

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:22 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5D3 to ?

I am a grad student but unlike you I don't have a family relying upon me which definitely helps my financial situation. Still, I too was thinking about dropping one of my current camera bodies and picking up an x100s just for the simplicity that it would afford my photography when I am just traveling or out exploring with my significant other. I think I am going to try and hold off on the downsizing until a full frame sensor compact camera pops up. Still, very excited to hear about how your downsizing goes. From what I gather, the x100s is an excellent camera and sensor so it shouldn't be too painful. I respect that you made the hard decision to downsize in the first place for your family and wish you the very best of luck in your continued pursuit of knowledge!

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:43 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5D3 to ?

I'm trowing in another vote for the sigma Merrill, the jpg quality is very good and the wow factor is also very much in its files. You didn't make a specific case for requiring a built on viewfinder which really helps in the case of the Sigmas. Choose your favourite focal length and call it a day.

Although as a fellow grad student, I find photography to be a nice safety valve and I have tried on occasion to grossly reduce my photography expenditures. I always fail eventually and come back to picking up interesting lenses which pushes me back into the loop of gear obsession.

You should try both cameras for a period, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what all of the mentioned cameras can do in good light.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:05 AM
davidbogdan
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5D3 to ?

I'm in on the Sigma, and In my case it's the DP3m ,Sony Rx100 and stitching software. On occasion I/ll break out the 4x5 for some single shot super wides but the above kit will give you more than you can imagine, even the super wides if you have the time.
db

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:45 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5D3 to ?

When you have a family and want a single do it all camera with lens you really are not going to be looking at the Merrills. You need fast AF, performance indoors, etc. The OP has also stated a wish for shooting jpgs.

To the OP, how about going even more simple and getting one of the pocket cams with a big sensor? Such as the GX1 or the new Nikon or Ricoh?

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:27 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5D3 to ?

Beni wrote:
When you have a family and want a single do it all camera with lens you really are not going to be looking at the Merrills. You need fast AF, performance indoors, etc. The OP has also stated a wish for shooting jpgs.

To the OP, how about going even more simple and getting one of the pocket cams with a big sensor? Such as the GX1 or the new Nikon or Ricoh?

I have the DP2 Merrill and I agree, going it alone with just a Merrill is not a wise move. But DAMN, it is hard to look at other cameras once you have seen what these Sigma's can do. Just amazing clarity that makes Bayer cameras look exceedingly dull.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:36 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5D3 to ?

I have a 5DMkII, purchased a FujiFilm X-E1 this year, and the Fujinon XF 35/1.1, XF 15-88
I love it!
I haven't used my 5DMkII since.
I have NEVER encountered a problem of manual focusing any lens, the Fujinon's, or others.
I have tried focus peaking via Magic Lantern on the 5DMkII.
I REALLY wanted to like it, as everyone seems to think it is the magic bullet.
Well, after a couple of weeks, I could not deal with it no more.
I did NOT like it, I went back to LiveView and magnification.
And the FujiFilm X-E1 has magnification aide also, both on the LCD, and on the EVF.
I like it!
Will I be getting rid on my Canon 5DMkII, no way, the FujiFilm X-E1 system is a GREAT add on!
Just my humble experiences, YMMMV...

f.hayek wrote:
I would say the Fuji XE-1 and its superb lenses but the absence of focus peaking, indispensable IMHO if you're ever interested in using any other manufacture of lenses, makes it a work in progress. You may only want 1 lens now (and the exceptional Fujinon 35/1.4 could be that lens) but allow yourself an out from the 1-lens decision. Also, expecting a digital camera to suffice for a decade isn't likely a reasonable expectation as technological advances and each company's varied post-sales support make that proposition untenable.

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:48 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.