Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations
  
 
cebseb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


Hello all! My first time posting in this sub-forum, but trust that I have been admiring the sheer talent this section displays on a daily basis.

Landscape and architecture photography has always been kind of a mystery to me and frankly I am just intimidated by it. I dable here and there, but I just don't seem to have the "eye" for it. I am regularly in awe of some of the things see from regular members here and hope I can at least absorb enough information to lay a strong base to build on.

Anyways, the wife and I are leaving for a short trip to select destinations in Europe in about a week. I come to the wise people of this board for some aid in two things:

1) Where to go and what to do while we are there.
2) What to bring

Here are some of the details surrounding my trip:

Itinerary:
Athens 1 day
Santorini 4 days
Athens again 3 days
Rome 3 days
Venice 3 days
Milan 3 days
London 2 days
Paris 4 days

Gear I plan on bringing:
Nikon D4
Nikon D7100
Sigma DP2 Merrill
Nikon 14-24 2.8
Sigma 35mm 1.4
Nikon 85mm 1.8 (or Sigma if I find someone to trade before then)
Nikon 200mm f2
Tc14e
Tc20III
Tripod/monopod cf variety
3 to 4 flashes and triggers to go with it

I plan to do lots of portraits. And I do have adequate space for all of it (a messenger bag and a pelican 1514 with Rucpac accessory/addon if I want to wear it like a backpack). I have some more gear, but I really don't see any reason to bring any supertelephotos along.

I just need help on some details and possible "must see" sights that I can photograph and experience. I really want tofocus on some architecture and landscape opportunities.

So in closing, any help would be appreciated and the resulting photographs will be ultimately posted on this forum for your perusal and scrutiny. Thank you for your time. I'm looking forward to your comments.

Sebastian



Apr 29, 2013 at 05:12 AM
futurshox
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


My first thought is, "Holy Cow, you're going to be exhausted!" That's a very busy itinerary and a lot of gear! Are you going to have time to set up tripods and flashes? You likely won't be allowed to use them in a lot of places.

As for sights, well, Central London is chock full of fabulous architecture. I was passing through there the other week and took a trip to the V&A Museum. It's right next door to the Natural History museum which is a wonderful building. I guess there's St Paul's Cathedral and the Houses of Parliament and pretty much any street has something interesting on it.

I hope you enjoy your trip



Apr 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Richard Booth
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


Sebastian:
My recommendation would be to skip London and get out into the small villages - especially up in the Cotswolds or even down into the ancient city of Rye. Nothing against the city of London which is stunning, but with only two days in the UK, I think you will not be pleased with the conditions in parts of the city.

Richard



Apr 29, 2013 at 04:19 PM
cebseb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


futurshox wrote:
My first thought is, "Holy Cow, you're going to be exhausted!" That's a very busy itinerary and a lot of gear! Are you going to have time to set up tripods and flashes? You likely won't be allowed to use them in a lot of places.

As for sights, well, Central London is chock full of fabulous architecture. I was passing through there the other week and took a trip to the V&A Museum. It's right next door to the Natural History museum which is a wonderful building. I guess there's St Paul's Cathedral and the Houses of Parliament and pretty
...Show more

Hi!
The tripods and flashes will be reserved for select photo opportunities throughout the trip. While roaming around, I'll be carrying around a trimmed down collection.

Ok. Looked into those spots and those are added to my list. Thanks!

Oh I will enjoy it. Theres no doubt in that. Thanks!



Apr 29, 2013 at 04:29 PM
cebseb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


Richard Booth wrote:
Sebastian:
My recommendation would be to skip London and get out into the small villages - especially up in the Cotswolds or even down into the ancient city of Rye. Nothing against the city of London which is stunning, but with only two days in the UK, I think you will not be pleased with the conditions in parts of the city.

Richard


Oh very nice. I bever thought about that. I do have a friend in London that I may have to see, but if he isn't available we may just do what you suggested. Great!

Sebastian



Apr 29, 2013 at 04:30 PM
redford01
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


On one of your 4 days on Santorini, try and get to one or more of the other islands, including Mykonos. You may find that 4 days there is just a bit too long. The flights are short (30-45 minutes) and pretty inexpensive, and you will find lots of back streets and white villages to shoot. If you plan on the sunset pic at Oia, plan on being there early as the places fill up quickly about an hour before sunset.

RR



Apr 29, 2013 at 08:45 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



cebseb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


redford01 wrote:
On one of your 4 days on Santorini, try and get to one or more of the other islands, including Mykonos. You may find that 4 days there is just a bit too long. The flights are short (30-45 minutes) and pretty inexpensive, and you will find lots of back streets and white villages to shoot. If you plan on the sunset pic at Oia, plan on being there early as the places fill up quickly about an hour before sunset.

RR


We're actually staying on Oia. The island right? Is there a specific spot we should go to? Mykonos is a great suggestion. I'll have my wife book a flight for it. Thank you!!




Apr 29, 2013 at 10:50 PM
redford01
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


Oia is the city on Santorini. There is one main walking/shopping route through the city. On end away from the road leading to Oia, you will see paths leading off to the left and heading downward. Just follow these and you will come to the overlook which looks back toward the windmill at the head of the island. If you are there for a few days, you can't miss it.

As for wandering in the classic white homes, and colored doors, I found Mykonos to be much better than Santorini. In the main town on Mykonos, you will find lots of little allyways that always either head up toward the windmills or down toward the main harbor. You can wander for hours (but the gear will get heavy pretty quickly, so pack light for that day)...

RR



Apr 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Rags Hef
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


I would recommend you get up before sunrise (bring the name & address of your hotel with you) the D4 with wide fast glass should work well; and walk, walk... if there are destinations catch them in early light when they're not crowded. Usually the streets have reflections - a good time

After 10am, use DX, the reduced fov will help limit the glare.

I usually don't take iconic shots of architecture - I buy a postcard. Stylistic shots of pieces using light or people can be more interesting

Good luck, it looks like a lot of gear. Careful of weight on short hops in small planes; they have luggage weight limits. A photo vest may be a good idea, since most don't weigh you (except Hawaiian Air)

Have a good trip

Rags



Apr 30, 2013 at 02:10 AM
cebseb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


Rags Hef wrote:
I would recommend you get up before sunrise (bring the name & address of your hotel with you) the D4 with wide fast glass should work well; and walk, walk... if there are destinations catch them in early light when they're not crowded. Usually the streets have reflections - a good time

After 10am, use DX, the reduced fov will help limit the glare.

I usually don't take iconic shots of architecture - I buy a postcard. Stylistic shots of pieces using light or people can be more interesting

Good luck, it looks like a lot of gear. Careful of weight on
...Show more

Very good. I almost forgot the vest!!! That is key. Thank you!

Haha, getting up early is going to be interesting since I plan on staying up late to do starscape exposures late into the evening.

Thank you so much.



Apr 30, 2013 at 02:22 AM
inglis
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


Why 3 days in Milan? Is that to get to the small towns in the area? I ask out of interest in what you might be thinking of doing there. Would love to know what you will aim at there beyond the historical buildings in a largely modern city. Help me out here with your list if you don't mind. I would like to have a reason to spend more time there. For me the virtually car-less village Orta san giulio, on Lake Orta, with its windy streets and very interesting photogenic island an hour away is totally magical. Most people park outside and walk inside the walls to a hotel. My father law drove me into the city once and was sorry he did.


May 01, 2013 at 01:00 PM
cebseb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Europe trip "to-do and don't" recommendations


inglis wrote:
Why 3 days in Milan? Is that to get to the small towns in the area? I ask out of interest in what you might be thinking of doing there. Would love to know what you will aim at there beyond the historical buildings in a largely modern city. Help me out here with your list if you don't mind. I would like to have a reason to spend more time there. For me the virtually car-less village Orta san giulio, on Lake Orta, with its windy streets and very interesting photogenic island an hour away is totally magical. Most
...Show more

Haha. That is a very fair question to ask. It is due to my dear wife (and to a lesser degree, myself). We are headed to Milan and Paris primarily for fashion industry purposes. We honestly did not have any idea had in store for us other than runwsys and high-end merchandise.

I will absolutely look into your suggestion for Orta San Giulio. That sounds amazing!

Sebastian



May 01, 2013 at 02:12 PM





FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password