New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

The Qflash is more powerful than the Nikon unit. If you don't have any iTTL flashes then go for the quantum. If you do and have a radio setup for iTTL the the qflash might not be the best choice.

I've found out if you want to control the qflash from the camera and it isn't on the camera then you need one of their receivers either the optical one or a radio one. If you setup your speedlites a trigger them using the built in per flash system the get the qneous(sp) which works off the per flash but if you r using radios forget it unless you wish to buy quantum transmitter and a receiver plus adapter for each light used.

I always wanted a qflash then about three months ago I bought one off here. I still haven't found the use for it other than by itself either on camera or off using a 10meter OCF cord or using a plus II to fire it manually while the seven other speedlites work great using pocket wizard flexes and a mini on camera with a ac3 zone controller or a Speedlite depending on the desired effect. But there is no way to use the best flash I own with my canon speedlites automatically since the flex doesn't work with thw hot shoe adapter for the qflash. I'm hoping PWs is working on a receiver that will plug in like the quantum and work as a control the light receiver

May 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM
markd61
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

I use Quantums because they are a compact kit that provides a lot of pop on the road for me without bringing my Buff lights and vagabonds.

They are rugged and versatile but I do believe their success will be their undoing as the Chinese are beginning to knock them off (Godox) like they have Bowens, and Hensel . Not to their level of quality yet but will be in a short time.

To copy the light Ellen is using does not need a Quantum, just a medium speedlight as it is in direct, unmodified form. As UKphotographer said it is just providing a fill to an HMI lit scene. The real drama is not in the photogrpahy but in the scene. Do not get confused by the glitz of the models and the location. The finals will have a real crime scene look to them which, by there very nature, are only rough approximations of accurate exposure.

Not a criticism, just an observation of the style that is currently enjoying favor.

May 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

Michael White wrote:
I always wanted a qflash then about three months ago I bought one off here. I still haven't found the use for it other than by itself either on camera or off using a 10meter OCF cord or using a plus II to fire it manually while the seven other speedlites work great using pocket wizard flexes and a mini on camera with a ac3 zone controller or a Speedlite depending on the desired effect. But there is no way to use the best flash I own with my canon speedlites automatically since the flex doesn't work with thw
...Show more

Thats a pity. Seven other Quantum's would work great off camera using their FreeXwire radio system, and you could use their 'best' features all the time with that.

May 20, 2013 at 03:08 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

Yes it would but the QFlash was the last not the first. I plan on picking up the model 7 receiver with a model 9 transmitter to save money that would give me full radio control of the QFlash by itself otherwise it will be the plus II and manual mode until PW builds a receiver for them. Or use of the OCF cable. I haven't tried connecting the mini to the camera, the OCF to the mini and the QFlash to the OCF and flexes to the canon speedlites and see if it will work correctly. I doubt it as I believe the mini doesn't do pass thur comm but coverts it to the squelch pin just like the receiving end od the flexes run. Otherwise it would be heaven.

May 21, 2013 at 02:08 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

Michael White wrote:
Yes it would but the QFlash was the last not the first.

Thats where it all went wrong

I plan on picking up the model 7 receiver with a model 9 transmitter to save money that would give me full radio control of the QFlash by itself

That won't work.

The FW7Q fitted to a T5d-R will be fine, but to 'control' that setup you will need a controller. An FW9T is a transmitter only. In order to have any sort of control with the FW9T you would need to fit it to a D adapter on your camera body which will then provide remote TTL control of a remote flash or grouped flashes. Anything further, like adjusting Manual output levels or setting ratios will need a controller.

Full radio control is obtained by either a Trio on camera, a Pilot, a CoPilot or another combination of T5d-R+DAdapter+FW9T.

The CoPilot is the most convenient it controls 3 groups includes a focus assist and has a built-in radio transmitter. You can even use it with your T5d-R cabled to Group 3 instead of using a (D adapter + FW9T) combination.

May 21, 2013 at 05:04 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

i have the recommended qttl controller already. I was hoping it would work with the flex but it doesnt.

May 25, 2013 at 03:47 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

Michael White wrote:
i have the recommended qttl controller already. I was hoping it would work with the flex but it doesnt.

I know, I tried it years ago.

I was pointing out that you won't get any control with your proposed "series 7 receiver and 9 transmitter" - all you would get would be remote TTL and you would need the D adapter connected to the hotshoe. Even with a pass-through you wouldn't be able to control your existing PW setup because you would have nowhere to fit anything.

A CoPilot controller (in your hand) controlling a remote T5d-R with an FW7Q receiver fitted would sort out your remote control issue (in manual, since the CoPilot won't be connected to camera)... and you could fit a PW receiver set to basic trigger mode to the sync-in socket on the T5d-R, which should work both for control and triggering.

May 25, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

Ill just retread your last post and it made since this time unlike the previous times I read it. Ill have to look into the co pilot once I can afford it.

Jun 16, 2013 at 01:06 PM
hkula

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

I also was planning on buying the Quantum's and ended up buying the Cheetah CL-180 combo kit.
Very happy with the Cheetah system. Great product and excellent value.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

Should be throwing they debit card at it Wednesday for the fw7q. And co pilot for that project plus a PWs plus III for my storage problems two 3tb drives for mt stora NAS and a 1tb 2.5 for my new laptop second drive. Next hard drive purchase will be the 3tb HHS x4 for my buffalo NAS but I will wait a few months for that as I get my data organized my iTunes stuff will be servered on thr stora that includes my large movie database. Need to work on about 100 more to rip the I have a mother hundred that gave problems that will need working on this will be backed up to the buffalo NAS as well as mbacking up my 3tb time machine that will do full backups of my win 7 desktop, win 8 laptop, Mac mini and any other systems I find a need for. I have a few wd my books to backup the buffalo and other things.

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:52 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

Just ordered a FW7Q and a co pilot today. I plan on using the QFlash in one of two scenarios at this time. OPtion 1 copilot on camera hot shoe qflash off camera and controlled in any mode changing everything from the cameras placement not the flashes. Option 2 PW mini w? AC3 on cameras hotshoe, Canon Speedlites on PW Flexes arranged as desired and qflash used as needed in manual mode with copilot in hand to adjust qflash from camera placement.

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:25 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Question on if to go Quantum or not

Michael White wrote:
OPtion 1 copilot on camera hot shoe qflash off camera and controlled in any mode changing everything from the cameras placement not the flashes.

The CoPilot only operates in Manual or TTL mode.

Jun 20, 2013 at 01:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.