New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need Pricing Help For Licensing Images

brianatsonic

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Pricing Help For Licensing Images

Hello all,

An acquaintance of mine has asked me to photograph her because she has a new book coming out. The images will be used in promotional materials and a single image will be in every book that is printed.

I have not encountered this before and want to price the agreements fairly yet still place value on my work. I thought about licensing the usage of an image to be printed in the book and another for all promotional materials. If anyone could suggest approximate dollar amounts I would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brian

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:06 PM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Pricing Help For Licensing Images

If you "have not encountered this before", plus your profile says you shoot landscapes (not portrait or head shots), and you have no portfolio on FM to see what you offer.... I'd say do it for the experience. Maybe a nominal fee like $75 and a photo credit is about right for a person with no professional experience. If she is a big-time author who got a decent advance the book company would arrange for her to meet with a photographer they chose. If she is self-publishing, she has no budget... it's all out-of-pocket.

Seriously, forget about licensing. It may be the thing to do for some established professional photographers, but not advised for the casual shooter. Just give her a reasonable price, otherwise she will be contacting someone else. Remember that the H&S photo is going to be small and located on the back cover. Some author photos look like they posed themselves. Your photo is not going to make or break the book.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.