Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which body combo would you prefer?

fotojennik
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which body combo would you prefer?

If these were your only two options.

I currently shoot 2x Canon 5d2, as I use dual holster and shoot both bodies together
I would like to upgrade to the 5d3
but it would probably mean I would downgrade my 2nd body and then only shoot with 1 body and have the other strictly as a backup (most likely down to a 7D or 60D).

Anyone care to give their opinions? I'm really not looking for a definite answer, just some input.

Some background info: I will only be shooting 5 weddings as primary, 5 more as 2nd shooter. Looking forward to 2014 I may not even be doing wedding photography anymore, though I'm still considering upping my prices again and booking a max of 4 or 5 weddings in summer months, as I recently accepted a very good full time day job and also plan to go back to get an MBA, so I will not be pursuing wedding photography as I started to plan for last year.

Thanks.

Apr 28, 2013 at 02:57 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which body combo would you prefer?

5DIII and 5D Classic or II. Upgrade later.

FWIW, I shoot 2 5DII's. They deal fine, but I'd like to have the ISO from time to time. Classic files process nearly identical, so that wouldn't bother me.

This would be if I were starting from scratch. I just don't see upgrading at this time.

Apr 28, 2013 at 03:13 PM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which body combo would you prefer?

Yeah almost immediately after posting, I decided I am going to stick with the 2x 5d2s for this year. I am thinking long and hard about my future and it looks as if wedding photography will not be a part of it in 2014 and beyond. I will be focusing on my professional career as an engineer and also going back to school, so I think it's best to not add wedding photography into that mix.

Apr 28, 2013 at 03:36 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which body combo would you prefer?

Honestly, I'm skipping the III's and waiting for the next gen.

Apr 28, 2013 at 03:38 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which body combo would you prefer?

My personal opinion is if it's possible to shoot with two copies of the same body, that's the best move. That way it's very easy to swap accessories, keep the menus straight in your head, etc.

If you can't afford to upgrade to 2x 5D3's at this time, I'd wait. There's certainly nothing terrible about the 5D2...

Apr 28, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which body combo would you prefer?

Heres anither perspective. Ive shot both canon and nikon. On both ive used both strategies. And both times found it far more versaitile to have both FF and crop sensors.
Esp if u fancy using primes.
My 85 1.4 becomes effectively a 170mm 1.4 with the d7100 in crop mode. 400 2.8 well is simply astoundingly an 800 2.8 equivalent. Now before some know it all pontificates on the diff between real mag and crop......it just doesnt matter when it comes right down to it.

So, in answer to ur question, I not only recommend, but actually DO use both. (All three when i shot canon).

Apr 28, 2013 at 05:02 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which body combo would you prefer?

fotojennik wrote:
I am thinking long and hard about my future and it looks as if wedding photography will not be a part of it in 2014 and beyond

Congratulations on getting out. If you've got something else you can do you'll be happier in the long run.

Apr 28, 2013 at 05:37 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which body combo would you prefer?

Neither of the two...I'd go with a pair of 5Ds and invest the difference. Honestly, if Nikon had had a 5D equivalent when we bought our D700s, we'd have gotten that instead.

Seeing that you already have a pair of 5D2s, I'd stick with those. And I hear you about leaving the business. We're still here, but I've got a full time job and am doing full time grad school too, so the fact that we only shoot a handful a year doesn't bug me much.

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which body combo would you prefer?

D. Diggler wrote:
Congratulations on getting out. If you've got something else you can do you'll be happier in the long run.

wow....honestly, you either love this biz or you hate it. If you arent in the former,.....you should probably do whatever you have to do to just get out...and if you only do a handful a year...you are pretty much there already, which begs the question with a full time job, and a grad student load...why are you still on a wedding forum in the first place?

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:04 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which body combo would you prefer?

D. Diggler wrote:

Do you not like photography? I can't imagine wanting to do anything else as a career.

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:12 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which body combo would you prefer?

Brad Barr wrote:
...and if you only do a handful a year...you are pretty much there already, which begs the question with a full time job, and a grad student load...why are you still on a wedding forum in the first place?

Because everyone needs distractions. I also spend most of my free time learning Spanish. We enjoy shooting weddings, but we're not breaking our backs to get them.

Even if I weren't in grad school, I wouldn't want more than around 10 weddings a year anyway. Family first, and other hobbies are important. I know some folks are happy with 50 a year, but I don't think I would be.

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:42 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.