Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Patagonia

CarlG
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Patagonia

alatoo60 wrote:
Carl, I am talking about clouds, surprised you did not notice any.

To elaborate on Marc's points as well, the winds at the surface are not necessarily mimicked in the clouds. I am no meterorologist by a long shot but having lived in Florida for many years, especially through numerous tropical storms and an occasional hurricane or two, the clouds don't necessarily appear to move at the same rate of speed at which the winds generated by the front do at the ground. Even had there been equal winds aloft, the proximity of the photographer to the water make it appear as if the ferocity of the wind at the surface was greater.

Take a NASCAR race - stand along the wall as the cars zip by at 200 mph and then move your position upwards by a five hundred feet. Tell me the cars don't "appear" to be moving faster from a few feet away than they do from 500' feet away?

Not knocking your opinion or observation but Marc's image captures the ferocity of the winds against the surface of the water and he was exposed for that. Had he wanted to capture the cloud movement, he would have adjusted his exposure accordingly and as a result, would have lost any semblance of detail in the water. Yes, he could have shot for both and blended them in PS, but why? The ferocity at the surface is enough for me (and him) to depict the feeling he was after.

Just my opinion.

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Steph Coffman
• •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Patagonia

Phenomenal! I love all of your images, seriously, you are one of my favorites! Patagonia is at the top of my list of places that I want to go to but will probably never make it to.

May 01, 2013 at 02:30 AM
garymichael

p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Patagonia

Absolutely gorgeous

May 01, 2013 at 03:51 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Patagonia

#2 and #5. Just wow.

It's pretty amazing when nature in all her beauty is captured well.

Good thing you're not too tepid about getting your feet wet and putting your camera in harm's way!

May 01, 2013 at 04:42 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Patagonia

Awesome shots. You aren't kidding about the great light there. Thanks for sharing them.

May 01, 2013 at 05:03 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Patagonia

One of the best series of shots I have seen, just stunning.

Cheers Ray

May 01, 2013 at 07:42 AM
andy wu

p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Patagonia

That first one and the "Golden towers" are my favourite.

May 01, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Patagonia

I'm a little late to this party, as I've been traveling and just now spotted this thread. I just want to say that a few (?) days ago, my husband turned his laptop screen towards me to show me "Kingdom of the Wind" posted on NPN. I was busy packing for our next hike, but dropped what I was doing and stared intensely at the photo. Without seeing the caption or knowing for sure who took it, the first words out of my mouth were, "Only Marc Adamus can do that."

I've seen enough photos of Patagonia to have an idea of what sorts of scenes represent its 'constellation' of possibilities, as defined by the very many great photographers who have created memorable images of the region. That one on NPN was a clear outlier, though; it registers a certain level of ambition and energy that verges on recklessness. It reminded me instantly of a shot you have of an ice cave with water splashing violently in all directions. These are photos that let us know there is a happy ending only because the photographer seems to have made it out alive. You can probably put "Boom" in this category too, though 'we' seem to be at a more comfortable distance from the water in that one (it's my favorite of the set, by the way). The pictures are probably unlikely to appeal to the masses as much as the scenes that look more 'safe' (you know, that "make you want to be there"), and you may find critics who will say that these are the photographic equivalent of a Hollywood action movie (a gratuitous display of effects and a glorification of danger, etc.). Regardless, I don't think anyone can deny that they are the photos that will see few imitations and that will remain vivid in the mind long after turning away from them.

Having said all that, I have to admit that "Rise" is the one that most gives me the warm fuzzies. It's just plain beautiful. And while other people may find this vantage point with this tree in the future and may create something similar out of it, you did it first. So congratulations on a highly original and memorable set of photos.

May 02, 2013 at 11:07 AM
nikon65
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Patagonia

AMAZING !!!

Todd

May 02, 2013 at 12:09 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Patagonia

Great narrative and truly exceptional images. I won't pick a favorite though, they are all equally impressive in their own way.

May 02, 2013 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Patagonia

All images are awesome with deep moody colors and contrast plus the motion blur of the water increases the drama. Great job

May 02, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Jred
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Patagonia

Stunning. Bravo!

May 03, 2013 at 01:39 AM
wardy

p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Patagonia

Ya know, it's unbelievable to be honest....the images look so vivid they are almost unreal. Wow....incredible.Period. Well done would be an understatement.

May 03, 2013 at 03:44 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Patagonia

You never disappoint. Great stuff!

Arka C.

May 03, 2013 at 07:39 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Patagonia

I don't have time to read through all the comments but count me as one of the completely bowled over! I can't imagine those conditions - you've got a lot of tenacity and your descriptions/commentary bring it all to life. That you could steady your gear and get those images... I am impressed. Just gorgeous!

May 03, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Patagonia

Phrasikleia wrote:
I'm a little late to this party, as I've been traveling and just now spotted this thread. I just want to say that a few (?) days ago, my husband turned his laptop screen towards me to show me "Kingdom of the Wind" posted on NPN. I was busy packing for our next hike, but dropped what I was doing and stared intensely at the photo. Without seeing the caption or knowing for sure who took it, the first words out of my mouth were, "Only Marc Adamus can do that."

I've seen enough photos of Patagonia to have an idea
...Show more

Very well put.

May 03, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Patagonia

Kingdom of the Wind is my favorite out of this jaw-dropping set. Inspiring images and narrative Marc.

May 04, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Patagonia

wow, excellent shots !

May 04, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Patagonia

Marc, your images are truly inspiring and the stories you tell just add that much more depth to the images. Great job and thanks for posting.

Regards, Colin

May 04, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Patagonia

Looks like you found Atlantis! Nice job.
Allan

May 04, 2013 at 07:20 PM
       7       8       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

7       8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password