Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

I'm just as guilty as the next person of sometimes disturbing wildlife that I'm trying to photograph- despite my best efforts to maintain a respectful distance and to be aware of my impact on their behavior. However, today, I'm glad that I was out there because I think that I made a positive impact on one unlucky cormorant's morning.

The last couple of days, I had noticed a person fishing from a kayak near some low hanging branches that cormorants often gather and perch on. This morning, I was out at the lake to see if I could get some early morning osprey fishing shots. I noticed the group of cormies in their usual spot, but one of them soon started thrashing about wildly, as if in some distress. Looking through the lens, I saw immediately that he was entwined in some fishing line. I was concerned that he'd either injure himself due to his violent thrashing, or he'd eventually drown.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Unfortunately, I couldn't just wade out to where he was. I figured the best course of action would be to call animal control. To their credit, even though it was early Sunday morning, they sent an officer out immediately. She couldn't find any easy access to the bird either, so we decided to commandeer my daughter's paddle boat and make our way out over the lake.

Our presence caused the cormie even more distress, and he even bit the officer. She worked gently but quickly to untangle the line from his beak and wing. After untangling the cormie and a quick visual inspection to confirm that he was fit to return to the lake, she set him free. I didn't get her permission to post a picture of her here, so I won't do that, but I do want to thank officer Franklin of Virginia Beach Animal Control for her professionalism and prompt action that saved this bird.

So, at least today, there's a bird that benefitted from the fact that I was out photographing. That made my day .

Edited on Apr 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

I wish I could have gotten the obligatory "flying away triumphantly" photo, but he just dove underwater and surfaced out in the middle of the lake. All's well that ends well.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Well done Mitesh! Your actions paid off on a couple fronts. Good photos to go with the feel good story, and a rescued bird.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Thanks, Ken. The photos really weren't important. I only took them to document the situation so that I could use it as a learning tool for my 6-year old daughter. She often accompanies me on photo hikes, and I wanted to teach her that these animals are not just there for our photographing pleasure, but that we have a responsibility to ensure their welfare. I actually think she is more upset at the kayaking fisherman than I am- and I'm not at all happy with him

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Nice to hear that the cormorant is free again. Good work Mitesh.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM
B Benson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Nice job, I had a similar experience with a burrowing owl that was caught in some yarn, It ruined my photography that day but still made my day. Bruce

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Mitesh, you did a great thing! And glad to hear the Cormorant was able to return to its normal life.
Fishing lines are one of the major causes of injures for birds. I go often to the beach to shoot birds and too many times I see birds in distress because they are entangled in fishing lines. I've been able to rescue a few of them, some others had already lost a leg, or a foot. Others were impossible to reach
I will never forget a Cardinal hanging on a tree limb by a fishing line with a fishing hook stuck on his beak. Fortunately an happy ending story.
Socrate

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Great work

Howard

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Well done on two fronts Mitesh. That would have made my day ~ Ron

Apr 28, 2013 at 04:46 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

nicely done Mitesh

Apr 28, 2013 at 05:03 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Apr 28, 2013 at 05:32 PM
Candor
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

A great story and thanks for posting and taking the time to make a difference. Many stories like this don't end well so good for you.

Mike

Apr 28, 2013 at 05:37 PM
birdfreak12
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Great job in helping the Cormie. I took some pics of a Cormorant last week with a hook and steel leader in it's breast. How that happened, I might not want to know!!

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:11 PM
randysc
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Great story (and photos) Mitesh. All the more so with a happy ending!

Greg

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:50 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Good to hear all turned out for the better and that was great of you to get help for the Cormie tangled in our web. I think nature will reward you with a special photo opportunity in the near future

Good people do good things.........you are in that group

Karl

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:12 PM
mrcolin2u
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

A happy ending, good job on the rescue.
I've seen a few birds with hooks in their mouth and fishing line hanging out, it makes me sick.
I saw this poor gull a couple of years back it looked miserable , it had a big fishing lure hooked in its beak and it had its head down just waiting to die

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:16 PM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Bravo!

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Today, photography helped the wildlife...

Great work Mitesh! It had to feel good helping out the cormie like that Always a good idea to add to the good side of karma now and again.

Tim

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:59 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.