Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Why don't they make an umbrella stand that points the flash into the mid...

IJLimagery

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why don't they make an umbrella stand that points the flash into the middle of the umbrella?

Why don't they make an umbrella stand with the cold shoe on the plane as the umbrella holder?

I don't get it. Would the forum enlighten me?

I'm looking at the Photek Softlighter from B&H because i like the portabilty etc. but when shopping for a great umbrella holder, I don't get why it isn't more common for the cold shoe to be oriented such that flash would fire straight into the middle of the umbrella instead of making it perpendicular.

something more like the lastolite brolly grip handle. only problem with this is that I don't think it swivels. The DIYP Double Flash Bracket Kit seems like the answer but... elastic bands? really? lol

Hope this wasn't a dumb question.

cheers

Apr 28, 2013 at 04:28 AM
Gozo1

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why don't they make an umbrella stand that points the flash into the middle of the umbrella?

I couldn't find a solution to this as well so I made my own with some 1" X 1/8" aluminum bar stock which you can get at any home improvement store. The aluminum bends easily and is rigid at these lengths and a hacksaw and drill are about all the tools you need. I'm not familiar with the double flash bracket kit you reference, but I made both a single and a double mount. I have both sizes of Softlighters and they work quite well. Hope that helps.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii81/gozoguitar/121120LightKit_028.jpg

May 03, 2013 at 05:04 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why don't they make an umbrella stand that points the flash into the middle of the umbrella?

A stock solution is the Manfrotto Super Clamp and accessory Flex Arm. The clamp is secured to your light stand, leaving you free to situate the arm into the umbrella or reflector as you please. The far end of the arm has a 1/4" screw for your flash. Setup is about 4 seconds.

The Manfrotto option is more expensive than some brands, but is all-metal and will serve many purposes. The Super Clamp system is awesome.

Ref:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546371-REG/Manfrotto_035_035_Super_Clamp_without.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5147-REG/Manfrotto_237_237_2896_Flex_Arm.html

May 04, 2013 at 01:28 AM
Gozo1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why don't they make an umbrella stand that points the flash into the middle of the umbrella?

I have a couple of super clamps but never used them to mount a flash on a light stand. These are actually in the Manfrotto umbrella adapters, just needed the flash to be parallel with the umbrella shaft. With the single bracket, the flash actually rests on the shaft taking some of the force off of the shoe while fitting nicely into the diffusion panel of the Softlighter.

May 04, 2013 at 08:41 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.