FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Slow day

birdfreak12
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slow day

Things have been really slow around these parts. I had to resort to trying to get some "backyard" birds today. The RWBB is my first one that's even worth showing. I wish I could've have been closer to the cardinal but had to take what was presented. I know the "perch" is far from desirable but I just wanted to shoot this evening so I took what I had a chance at. C&C greatly appreciated.

Edited on Apr 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM · View previous versions

Apr 27, 2013 at 07:25 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slow day

I like them both Don ~ Ron

Apr 27, 2013 at 07:29 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slow day

The black bird looks great, the cardinal may be a touch over exposed yet there is still plenty of detail

Morris

Apr 27, 2013 at 07:41 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slow day

Slow day but with his 2 beautiful birds is a big win. Colorful and detail.

- Tam

Apr 27, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slow day

I feel your pain, Don. But these two are pretty nice. Agree with Morris that the cardinal looks on fire. Great job with the blacks on the RWBB.

Greg

Apr 27, 2013 at 08:08 PM
birdfreak12
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Slow day

This guy was pretty "bright" but not sure why the reds look so blown out? Adjusted the exposure, vibrance and saturation all to the "negative" to see if I could help the "reds". Any suggestions?

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Slow day

RWBB's are not easy, you have done very well with details. This may sound a bit 'nit-picky' but it is only to help you get the most out of a shot like this..............
The image is bit on the 'red' side IMO, the Contrast is a bit high but the time of day appears to be stronger sunlight. For me or IMO look at shots like this and look for a deep black with detail, opening up the exposure to this extent can look over lightened, the wing bar with the yellow red looks overexposed to me. Not at all a bad shot, really a very good shot that can benefit from careful processing or experimenting. Details are spot one, you have a great file to work with, try it a few times

Cardinal, reds tend to over emphasize easily in digital files, sometimes a mere tinkering with just the red channel or with Saturation can tame these. For me #1 Cardinal isn't too far off, #2 is too dark. You may find files like this easier to work if you take away some Contrast then add it if you need too. I think you have a good red but just a bit too saturated in #1 or a wee bit bright Again. IMO #1 Card is closer to best than #2 is.

Hope my comments help, C&C given as I see it, others may vary
Karl

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Slow day

Fine shots, well captured
David

Apr 28, 2013 at 03:23 AM
birdfreak12
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Slow day

Karl,

Thanks so much for taking your time and offering such a detailed response. I appreciate that very much. I will rework these two files to see if I can improve them. I do recall the RWBB not having lots of detail on its wing ad I've seen on others but do think I overexposed the lights trying to get details in the blacks. The Cardinal pic has me very confused as the first one I posted I really only slightly adjusted the exposure z big but the reds appeared "hot" originally.

Once again, I appreciate your help and everyone else's help as well.

Thanks,

Don

Apr 28, 2013 at 05:15 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Slow day

nicely done Don .. #1 would be my favorite

Apr 28, 2013 at 05:34 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Slow day

Very nice shots...reds are tough to handle and I like the last better.
Eric

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:01 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Slow day

Some nice images you got here Don. Well done, esp on #1.

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:43 AM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Slow day

Nice shots.

Paul.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.