FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Travel camera recommendations

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Travel camera recommendations

Regardless of concern for DR (differences play a very small part in general photography), the Canon G1X will have the best IQ of all the cameras in the fixed zoom lens category P&S-style. With its large sensor, it basically duplicates the IQ of APS-C cameras, including NEX. It's only real limitation is having to switch to macro mode for close-up subject, which isn't a big deal, but an extra step if you want to take a picture of your dinner plate or portrait of a table guest.

RX100 would be my next recommendation, but it is a slippery little ergonomic package in comparison, and IQ is a small step down due to smaller sensor. I prefer the grips and contours of Canon's G-series bodies. The Sony does take some great photos, no doubt about it!

G15 (or G12) would be the next choice for a robust knockabout travel camera.

Both Canons have a good menu system you are familiar with and nice external controls.

Apr 29, 2013 at 08:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Travel camera recommendations

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_hs50exr/

Hardly anyone ever talks about bridge camera's ... but for more lens capability than the X20 (etc), yet the simplicity of not changing glass (and no sensor cleaning) and only needing to "track down" one piece of gear for an all-inclusive package, they might be worth looking at.

Sure, they're a bit bigger than some smaller options, but the focal length range is pretty sweet compared to say the X20 and they can still be put into "push here" mode for simplicity.

For a slightly less ambitious (less $$$) variety, the HS35EXR is an option too. The main tradeoff is size vs. available focal length when looking at the bridge vs. compact choices.

Apr 29, 2013 at 09:13 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Travel camera recommendations

Thanks Jim and Kent,

I will consider these options.

Richard Franiec has what look like a nice grip for the RX100. Perhaps that would help in reducing the "slippery" nature of this camera.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Travel camera recommendations

Some people spend $ 7000 on the outdated sensor of the Leica M9 Of course, now they are buying the newer M 240 for even more.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Travel camera recommendations

Mike -- I'm sure that added grip will help. Looking forward to when used RX 100 get down south of $500, as I've seen happening. The camera + grip is starting to get into some serious coinage. The pictures look really good -- surprised me for the body size.

I had gotten a great deal on a used G10 about a year ago, so I haven't had a really strong need to upgrade. But the itch is setting in. I just bought a nice 270EX II flash for it (here on FM), so I'm sure I'll stay in the Canon realm, maybe someday moving to the G15 or G1X (or its replacement).

Here's the funny comparison between the G10 all decked-out with external flash vs. 1Ds3/24-105/580EXII. Which one would you take for a brief walk or going out to dinner? Ha-ha! You gotta love 'em both, but in different ways.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Travel camera recommendations

Gunzorro wrote:
Mike -- I'm sure that added grip will help. Looking forward to when used RX 100 get down south of $500, as I've seen happening. The camera + grip is starting to get into some serious coinage. The pictures look really good -- surprised me for the body size.

I had gotten a great deal on a used G10 about a year ago, so I haven't had a really strong need to upgrade. But the itch is setting in. I just bought a nice 270EX II flash for it (here on FM), so I'm sure I'll stay in
...Show more

Yep, that's a whole lot of camera there.

Apr 29, 2013 at 08:59 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.