Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2 from Dante's Peak

DSC01
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 2 from Dante's Peak

Still working on my way through shots I took on a trip to Death Valley from February of this year, I made my way up to Dante's peak in the late part of the afternoon . C&C is always apreciated thanks for viewing, Dean

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:02 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 2 from Dante's Peak

The first one does a really nice job of capturing the vast expanse of the valley looking north. I wonder how it would look if you cropped just a bit off the top of the sky - perhaps keeping just a bit of the dark area above that horizontal cloud?

(I wrote recently about how hard it is to make an effective photograph from this location, and I think you've done a very good job.)

Dan

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:21 PM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #3 · 2 from Dante's Peak

Dan, thanks for your feedback and comments. It's really interesting you said that about the crop I was wrestling with it before I posted and was leaning towards your suggestion but ended up with all the sky, here is the crop with some of the sky off the top . I have left the first version up so they can be compared. Regards,
Dean
Cropped version -a little off the top..

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 2 from Dante's Peak

Hey Dean,

Very cool shots here, that is not an easy location to get a good shot at. I think you did really good on both, and thanks for keeping the original up, it makes it so much nicer to be able to see the difference.

Now... since you are in a cropping mood... I actually would crop more off the sky in #1, your original is a great shot I think, but if you crop and leave just that bottom row of clouds and go to what would be a pano format with that shot, it does two things. First, there is something cool about views like that in a pano version... and two, it forces the eye to focus more on the ground layer than the sky. Right now in #1, and I am not saying it's a bad thing, but the eye doesn't necessarily know whether to look at the cool sky, or the cool ground...

Okay, so #2 is my favorite, I like that bit of foreground on the left with the brush. Since cropping is the order of the day... I wonder if on this one you went to a 4:5 format crop and lost the right side. For me, I really love the sun rays through the clouds in this, they are super cool looking, but I think the two spots of dark sky towards the upper right kind of distract from it. I would lose at least the blue sky right at the corner, which would help you lose that dark black shadow in the lower right corner... Just a thought...

Jim

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:38 PM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #5 · 2 from Dante's Peak

Jim, thanks for your comments and feedback I will play with the pano crop idea and see if I come up with something interesting. I like your thoughts on #2 so here is the cropped version where I have lost a bit of the right side with less of a distraction from those dark area's I like the cropped version better, again I have left up the original for comparison.

#2 cropped version as per Jim's suggestion ... a little off the right side about a 4x5

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:16 PM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #6 · 2 from Dante's Peak

Jim, here's a pano crop of #1 which is kind of interesting, I think I like it.

#1 Pano 1x2.5

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:33 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password