Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Light meter App that works

marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Light meter App that works

I have been playing around with old film cameras for a while and recently bought a Bronica Sq-Ai. I have also been trying to get an old Olympus Om-1 to work. Mechanically OK but the light meter doesn't work. I was searching for hand held light meters and came across this iPhone App. It's called Fotometer Pro and is 99c. I have found it to be remarkably accurate after testing it with a couple of digital cameras including the Canon 5D 3. I have tried other Apps a while back but they didn't work too well, this one is great. It is "retro-style with an actual needle that shows the shutter speed just like the old analogue meters. It even has a "leather" case! I mention it here in case someone needs access to a handy lightmeter for your alternative cameras (that don't have light meters.)

Disclaimer: I have no association with the makers of the App.

Apr 27, 2013 at 07:36 AM
michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Light meter App that works

Nice, thanks for the recommendation.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM
anndecrist
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Light meter App that works

I love this! Thank you for posting - I never would have seen it otherwise!

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Wilbus
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Light meter App that works

Thanks, it looks great and works great. I have another one as well that works well but quite as nice layout as this one.

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Light meter App that works

I use one called light meter along with my mamiya c220 and its worked very well also

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:47 PM
kj_vogelius

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Light meter App that works

Great tip!

Smartphone cameras can make surprisingly accurate light meters. I've used my iPhone as stand in since my dedicated meter gave up with consistently good results. It does get less accurate as the light goes dim, but in all other uses it works just as well as a dedicated meter.

goosemang wrote:
I use one called light meter along with my mamiya c220 and its worked very well also

I too have been using an app called Light meter, I don't know if it's the same one, but it can be found here iTunes link. I like that it gives me the exposure in an EV-value, makes shooting my Hasselblad very easy.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Light meter App that works

kj_vogelius wrote:
Great tip!

Smartphone cameras can make surprisingly accurate light meters. I've used my iPhone as stand in since my dedicated meter gave up with consistently good results. It does get less accurate as the light goes dim, but in all other uses it works just as well as a dedicated meter.

I too have been using an app called Light meter, I don't know if it's the same one, but it can be found here iTunes link. I like that it gives me the exposure in an EV-value, makes shooting my Hasselblad very easy.

Thanks Vogelius, that's a different one ...but I just like the FOTOMETER PRO because of the user interface and it seems to to work really well.

Apr 28, 2013 at 01:58 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Light meter App that works

Just saw this post today and downloaded a couple of the apps and really like the Pocket Light Meter, pretty damn accurate!

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Light meter App that works

The iPhone camera has a pretty narrow field of view so the meters work more like a spot meter, right? Any app that perhaps averages out several scenes so that a value can be generated for a wide angle lens?

Does this make sense?

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:47 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Light meter App that works

Doesn't measure LV directly, and what angle of view, they just say 'point it at the subject'...good value for money since it's 99c though. Better than nothing.

May 01, 2013 at 01:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

marko1953
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Light meter App that works

philip_pj wrote:
Doesn't measure LV directly, and what angle of view, they just say 'point it at the subject'...good value for money since it's 99c though. Better than nothing.

Probably quite true. The Fotometer Pro has a tiny viewfinder window which gives you an idea of what is being metered as you point it at the subject.

May 01, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Light meter App that works

anything for normal size people that use normal size phones like the galaxy note?

May 01, 2013 at 12:41 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Light meter App that works

I'm using the rex light meter on the note. It uses the front facing camera.

Just downloaded lightmeter as well.

Edited on May 01, 2013 at 03:01 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Light meter App that works

Regular Light Meter app does the trick for me.

May 01, 2013 at 02:53 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Light meter App that works

I know this is subjective, but this app hasn't been updated in over a year, it's not fully compatible with the iPhone 5 which is unfortunate because I hate those black bars on apps that haven't been reformatted.

I just use the one called "Light Meter" (the one that has a Sekonic meter for it's icon) and it has worked quite well for me when I forget my Sekonic meter at home. It's not a particularly pretty interface but it certainly gets the job done.

May 01, 2013 at 03:27 PM
asbalyan
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Light meter App that works

So you guys have iPhone5 or Galaxies... But not digital camera with you...
I am sure, any digital camera spot meter will be accurate than this...

(BTW, I downloaded on my Galaxy tab.. not bad using Tablet for lightmeter.. And it doesnt look that bad, in terms of results..)

May 01, 2013 at 07:03 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Light meter App that works

Actually no, when I'm out shooting film I often DON'T have a digital camera with me

May 01, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Light meter App that works

asbalyan wrote:
So you guys have iPhone5 or Galaxies... But not digital camera with you...
I am sure, any digital camera spot meter will be accurate than this...

You are trying to say that it will be easier for me to carry my 5D MkIII rather than iPhone with me if I decide to go shooting with my Mamiya RZ67

May 02, 2013 at 02:21 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Light meter App that works

AbramG wrote:
Actually no, when I'm out shooting film I often DON'T have a digital camera with me

I actually have 2 film cameras and both may not have a meter.

May 02, 2013 at 02:34 AM
asbalyan
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Light meter App that works

Krosavcheg wrote:
You are trying to say that it will be easier for me to carry my 5D MkIII rather than iPhone with me if I decide to go shooting with my Mamiya RZ67

No, but you should throw some $150 Oly XZ camera... will help in metering as well as composition too..

On the serious note, how accurate are these meters? If you are using for film, I expect you guys to meter perfect in this "once in a while film day"...
As I said, I have downloaded and may use myself once in a while (as its on 7" tablet)...

May 02, 2013 at 04:02 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password