end

Archive 2013 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

RCicala wrote:
I'm also going to take one apart

May I suggest the "badly decentered" one?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

May 04, 2013 at 12:01 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

Yakim Peled wrote:
May I suggest the "badly decentered" one?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nah, I have to take apart a good one to try to tell what's different when I take apart the decentered one. Although I'm afraid I already know -- RokiBowYangs tend to glue a lot of elements in place rather than mount them on adjustable screws.

May 04, 2013 at 01:36 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

RCicala wrote:
Nah, I have to take apart a good one to try to tell what's different when I take apart the decentered one. Although I'm afraid I already know -- RokiBowYangs tend to glue a lot of elements in place rather than mount them on adjustable screws.

Looking forward to your Imatest results and the result of your tear downs. Hoping this lens will at least match the IQ of the current Nikon 24 TS. I need a TS option for my D800e and have been anticipating the release of this lens.

Your lens & camera tests and info on build quality are very much appreciated!

Cheers!

May 04, 2013 at 04:52 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

I've finished crunching the first sets of numbers and the Samyang isn't quite as good as the Nikon PC-E - The Samyang resolves 800 line pairs / image height in the center compared to 990 for the Nikon. Not a huge difference, but the Nikon is a fairly old design so I was hoping the Samyang would at least match it.

On the other hand the Samyang does have the ability to tilt and shift in the same plane.

May 04, 2013 at 06:02 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

Hmm, and as a rule of thumb the Nikon is slightly behind the canon 24 in terms of resolution I seem to remember?

I was hoping that this lens would be a great alternative to the highly priced canon, but it doesn't seem to be quite as impressive as their 35. It's pretty fugly too which doesn't help. I'm hoping ill be proved wrong with some glowing reviews but even if I am, it will still be fugly

May 04, 2013 at 06:42 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

Crunching the numbers some more, the Samyang gets sharper up to f/8 - at that point it's about the same resolution as the Nikon, but still a bit behind the Canon. It's also got more distortion (2.3% barrel) compared to 0.9% for the Canon.

It's beginning to look like this one is reasonable for the price, but certainly not as good as the Canon.

And I'm still worried about reliability. I consider the 14mm a 'disposable lens' since buying a new one doesn't cost any more than a Nikon lens repair. So I'm not too concerned that they're fragile. But at $1,000 this is certainly not disposable - but trying to get a RokiBowYang worked on is about impossible in the U. S.

May 04, 2013 at 08:12 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

More complete numbers are up: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/first-look-at-the-rokibowyang-24mm-f3-5-tilt-shift-lens-part-1

May 05, 2013 at 03:03 PM
jwpstl
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

Disappointing. I was hoping for performance better than the Nikon considering its age. I really want a 24 PC but now I'm not sure what to do. I suppose the Nikon is the way to go but even that one isn't a great lens. As soon as I buy one Nikon will announce a replacement.

May 06, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

At working apertures i.e. f/8-11 it's very close to both Canon and Nikon, and it's half the price. I'm sure this will appeal to many.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

May 07, 2013 at 04:35 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

jwpstl wrote:
Disappointing. I was hoping for performance better than the Nikon considering its age. I really want a 24 PC but now I'm not sure what to do. I suppose the Nikon is the way to go but even that one isn't a great lens. As soon as I buy one Nikon will announce a replacement.

There is something I don't quite understand. I have heard repeatedly that the Nikon is not that great, and that the new Canon is awesome, but on Roger's tests, the Nikon actually beats the Canon on some measures, and stacks up very well. What gives?

May 07, 2013 at 04:58 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

carstenw wrote:
There is something I don't quite understand. I have heard repeatedly that the Nikon is not that great, and that the new Canon is awesome, but on Roger's tests, the Nikon actually beats the Canon on some measures, and stacks up very well. What gives?

Imatest is testing the camera-lens combination. The D800's higher resolution gives higher numbers to all lenses when tested on that camera.

May 07, 2013 at 05:42 AM
alba63
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

carstenw wrote:
I have heard repeatedly that the Nikon is not that great, and that the new Canon is awesome, but on Roger's tests, the Nikon actually beats the Canon on some measures, and stacks up very well.

There have been several tests and comparisions, diglloyd (and others) has tested both: The Nikon 24 PC-E is "quite good" optically up to roughly 8mm of shift, beyond that it degrades performance- wise. It has noticeable distortion whereas the canon TS-E II has almost none and can be shifted beyond 10mm with no or very little degradation. The TS-E 24/ II is quite close to a perfect lens, in terms of correction and sharpness. I had it for half a year and got perfectly sharp results even shifted to the Max...

The Nikon - in terms of quality - seems to sit between the old and the new Canon.
One will have to wait for more Samyang samples, but what has been shown is not worth talking about. I'd rather spend double the money for an almost flawless lens instead of getting a flawed lens for half the price.In that case I'd prefer to shoot with a high quality normal lens and correct in Software...

May 07, 2013 at 07:01 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

RCicala wrote:
Imatest is testing the camera-lens combination. The D800's higher resolution gives higher numbers to all lenses when tested on that camera.

Ah, I see. Well then, my D800 with the Nikon lens is resolving around the same as the superior Canon lens on a Canon body. Hmm...

May 07, 2013 at 07:24 AM
alba63
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

carstenw wrote:
Well then, my D800 with the Nikon lens is resolving around the same as the superior Canon lens on a Canon body. Hmm...

That is probably true for the center, but hardly for the shifted upper borders, where the Nikon is just not very good beyond 7-8mm (diglloyd test). And won't help the distortion either...

May 07, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

Carsten -- It''s not all about center resolution and a high rez sensor. The Nikon has noticeable visual aberrations on the edges without shifting, using the center of the image circle. The Canon is clean out to the corners, unshifted. Barrel distortion is awful to contend with when shifting, trying to establish vertical. I don't know why, but Nikon could never make a PC lens without strong distortion and light falloff, going back to the film days.

May 07, 2013 at 09:35 AM
jwpstl
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

The current Nikon 24 PC-E is 5 years old so maybe they'll release an updated version soon...maybe with the new 24-70 2.8 with VRIII.

May 07, 2013 at 10:02 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

alba63 wrote:
That is probably true for the center, but hardly for the shifted upper borders, where the Nikon is just not very good beyond 7-8mm (diglloyd test). And won't help the distortion either...

There must be some tool to correct the distortion even for a shifted image... I guess I could live without the extra 2mm shift, although it would be nice if Nikon would update the lens. Certainly they are capable of making strong wides.

Or as you say, just use an excellent regular lens and use software. I could probably get excellent results simply by shooting straight with my Zeiss 21, and then cropping the edges I don't want 36MP leaves a bit for cropping.

May 07, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Samyang T-S 24 mm sample images on LensTip

Very true Carsten. That will work for the majority of situations. It's just sad to crop away good real estate from the sensor. I do that continually, keeping lines straight. Shame Nikon has never figured how to correct for an architectural lens -- my old 28 PC had terrible pincushion, making tops of buildings flare outward! Weird.

May 07, 2013 at 11:39 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.