Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Colour or black and white?

robsam23

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Colour or black and white?

Hi all,

I posted the first image below in the nature forum a week ago.

It's one of my favourites from my recent trip to South Africa. I was planning on printing it but now I'm torn between the choice. I originally decided b+w added a sinister feel to the image but now I'm liking the colour too!

Let me know your thoughts, any other c+c is welcome too.

Thanks for looking.
Rob

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:24 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Colour or black and white?

I did see these over on Nature and I have been wondering if I will be so lucky to capture something like this on my upcoming trip.
While I often move to BW, I prefer the color here. On the left I think there is enough of the emerging from darkness factor on both images. On the right, the brighter browns offer enough contrast and depth against the greens. And the color just says life to me more.
There are other aspects I wish were different, but over which you probably had little control. A larger aperture and/or faster shutter speed might have kept the lion on the left sharper. There is clutter, but hey, that's part of the environmental accuracy of the capture. You might consider a tighter crop, eliminating some of the blurred foreground vegetation on the right and balancing the image with some crop in from the left.
Must have been a great trip.

Scott

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:37 PM
robsam23

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Colour or black and white?

Thank you for your comments Scott. All good points and I'm definitely considering a crop similar to what you've suggested.

Yep in hindsight there's a few things I would have adjusted but hey. I'm learning as I go! It's all a part of the fun!

I hope you have a great trip.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM
yogi3939
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Colour or black and white?

I almost always prefer color over B&W, but in this case the B&W wins out. It has the eeriness that just doesn't show in the color version. It reminds me of the movie, based on a true story, titled "The Ghost And The Darkness". See the trailer at this link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncG6epwTlEE

The Ghost and the Darkness were the names given to a pair of almost unstoppable lions that were dragging away the natives building a railroad during the night and killing them. They killed well over 100 people before they were brought down by professional hunters.

They would sneak into the camp late at night and very quietly grab hold of a victims head and crush it before the victim could scream. Then, just as quietly, they would drag their victim off injto the jungle to eat him.

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:53 AM
robsam23

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Colour or black and white?

I'm fairly glad I hadn't heard about that before getting the shot!

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password