Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Posting for the very first time...

Squirrely Eyed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Posting for the very first time...

Hopefully this works...

This is my first posting and I'm looking for some feedback on these images. Your experience and candor are appreciated.

In case no EXIF information is included, these are in sRGB space.

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:03 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Posting for the very first time...

Welcome to FM.
One of the many nice things about Critique is you will get honest criticism and suggestion. And different folks seeing different elements, offering different suggestions.
I think these are two fine images.
Technically they are sharp, colorful, good action images that convey the frolic of the dog. The choice of DOF is good, the BG and foreground compliment rather than detract from the subject. I think the subject is well-positioned in the frame, if a tad tight on top on the second image. However, that also speaks to his being up on his hind legs, so the critique is minor if worth even mentioning.
Exposure is tricky and I imagine you have some truly blown out areas in both images. perhaps more in the second along the fronts of the lower legs. I would try to recover some detail. Shown to non-photographers, I am sure you get nothing but smiles.
Scott

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Posting for the very first time...

Scott,

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. I joined FM specifically due to the great criticism/critique I've witnessed here.

I took another attempt with a recrop & tried to tone down some of the blowouts.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:53 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Posting for the very first time...

One ought not distract from images by putting a logo so centrally, as a general guide.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Posting for the very first time...

Welcome to FM !!!
And the PC Forum.

+1 @ Scott

My add would be your positioning relative to the sun/subject relationship. Most people/animals look a bit more lively with the twinkle in their eye from the lighting. I'm just wanting for the dog to "look this way" just enough so that we could see the "bright eye" too. A few degrees more for you and the dog, and we probably could have seen some catchlight(s).

That little nit being noted, though ... the liveliness of the dog does a nice job of offsetting that you are shooting the shadow side. Even so, they are nicely captured. Since the blown areas are essentially rim lighting, I wouldn't worry too much about them. That kinda comes with the territory of exposing for the shadow side.

A crop might be something to consider also.

BTW, did I mention micro-nit ... never mind, the emotive trumps the technical into obliteration.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Beabs

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Posting for the very first time...

I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to animals. Great action and very cute subject. The thing I first noticed was the white blowout which has been mentioned before. I would also like to see a bit lower of a camera angle, but you really have to watch the horizon line when you do that. I would also like to see different foot placements there is just something about the second image that I am finding awkward. I'm imagining all four off the ground. Good images anyway; you really captured the subject.

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:18 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Posting for the very first time...

Your re-work, re-crop improves the image.
Scott

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Posting for the very first time...

Welcome - glad to have you aboard!

Couple of comments - sharp, crisp, nicely focused. Subject is responding well.

Tough shot given the bright side-lighting, did well holding details. I think everyone else covered most comments, you might try cooling the color a tad to relieve the birlliant 'golden hour' effect somewhat?

Again, welcome and please share more with the forum.

Regards,

Bob

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:49 PM
odnanref

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Posting for the very first time...

I prefer the second image to the first. I would suggest perhaps some cropping from the left hand side of the image and perhaps decreasing some of the highlights--they look quite bright.
-Odnan

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Posting for the very first time...

Much thanks for all the feedback. I'll need to work a bit more on the blowouts and I agree with cropping more from the left like the crop that RustyBug posted, it does look better. Again thanks for the comments and ideas.

As for the logo positioning -- yes, good point. About that, it's one of my paranoid quirks of somebody somewhere on the internet stealing my work that I should really just get over. Not that I think my work is of the quality that somebody would pay for it....

Apr 29, 2013 at 07:45 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.