Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Hello

dmpettaw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hello

I'm Dan and I've been looking on here since 2008, but never had the courage to say or post anything. After attending the Hoffshop I got a little courage to finally post something. Much respect to Tony & Amy. Two of the nicest and most humble photographers I know. With that said, Can you guys C&C my new site? Thanks in advance. Sorry if the english is bad. I went to school in North Philly

http://simplelifeportraits.com

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:57 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hello

Welcome Dan!

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:07 AM
dmpettaw
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hello

Thank you Mike.

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:10 AM
wer2012
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hello

Hey Dan,
I think you may want to work on two aspects of your website -
1- Make it easier to contact you. Maybe add the menu bar to your first page. A lot of people contact me immediately after watching my opening slideshow - completely bypassing most of my site. So make it incredibly easy and obvious how to get in touch with you. I also don't think the intro page is doing you any favors.

2- Work on some basic SEO -SEOmoz Blog is a great place to start.

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:11 AM
dmpettaw
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hello

Thank you wer2012. I really appreciate that.

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:17 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hello

Hello

I agree with wer2012. I'd add the menu bar from the beginning, I don't think it'll spoil things. It'll make navigation much easier.

On your contact page, I'd add more options as well. Leave a phone number, address, email address. Not everyone likes to use contact forms (although I understand why you may choose to only use this).

As someone just jumping into your site, I like your work, and the website works really well (responsive). I'm unsure what it would actually cost me to hire you though. Under investment, you seem to offer a lot (2 photographers, all digital images, a tiny canvas, a photobook, an engagement session) but coverage is not listed. Am I getting 'all day' for that sort of price? It may seem like you're hiding something, like that only covers a starting point of 2 hours. Regardless, I think you're giving away too much if that is your starting point.

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:32 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hello

I love Lititz PA, haven't been through there in years. I used to work for a company that used Wilbur chocolate. I have to make a point to cruise through there this year.

Anyway, welcome, and your photography looks good.

1) It was hard for me to navigate through the "weddings" link, pictures seemed random without branding. Maybe consider just showing portfolio shots there only and make them cycle, if people have to work to get through your pictures they are less likely to.

2) Over-posting on the blog, let's just see the story and the best images to represent it. I think photographers tend to think "well that's a good shot too", and you get all hung up in posting too many images. Only the very best images should grace your site. Less is more, trust me.

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:50 AM
dmpettaw
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hello

Hey ricardo! Thanks for taking the time to write this. I see what you guys mean about the header and I added a number to the contact page. All my packages are unlimited time. I've been told I'm giving away to much. Thanks again and I redid a little.

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:58 AM
dmpettaw
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hello

Thanks Brian. Yeah Lititz was great when I lived their. I lived near the chocolate factory, so it was great smelling chocolate in the air everyday. The speed of the portfolio a little slow. I'll look into that. Thanks again and get back to Lititz

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:04 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hello

dmpettaw wrote:
Hey ricardo! Thanks for taking the time to write this. I see what you guys mean about the header and I added a number to the contact page. All my packages are unlimited time. I've been told I'm giving away to much. Thanks again and I redid a little.

If this is unlimited time then I would absolutely state that, no point in hiding that, right? Your work seems good, consistent. I see no reason why you would give away so much for so little. I'd definitely consider restructuring things for 2014 (ie start now).

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:12 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hello

Yeah, welcome!

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:14 AM
dmpettaw
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hello

Yeah. I did some tweaking.

Edited on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:15 AM
dmpettaw
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hello

Thank you CMB

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:16 AM
Mr Pixcel
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hello

other than what was said above. I think your print prices are way too low and no charge on shipping. What happen if your client family is from out of town. You have to mail the photos to them and I know that UPS, FedEx or the USPS is $6.00 or more plus the photo mailer, so it will not bend the pictures now your losing money if they only buy 1 8x10.

just my 2cents

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:24 AM
dmpettaw
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hello

Thanks Mr Pixcel. I never looked at it that way. I will definitely be making some changes and the price of my prints is one of them. Thanks again for helping.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hello

Whoa. First of all, I've only seen a couple of your photos on the website but looking at price I think you should be charging double at least for unlimited time, two photogs, digital files and an engagement.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM
dmpettaw
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hello

Thanks TTL. How much would you suggest?

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hello

TTLKurtis wrote:
Whoa. First of all, I've only seen a couple of your photos on the website but looking at price I think you should be charging double at least for unlimited time, two photogs, digital files and an engagement.

I agree, it is a lot to offer for so very little (broken record here).

I'd try trimming it back as well as upping the price.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hello

dmpettaw wrote:
Thanks TTL. How much would you suggest?

For that amount of stuff, double. Granted, I don't know your expenses or your market, but that's a good ballpark.

If you feel like you need to start at 2k to get bookings, well I guess that's okay if you've really looked at the numbers and can profit with that, but that's way too much for 2k. Maybe do 6hrs, one photographer, *maybe* keep the digital files in there, and if you're going to throw in a free engagement session use it as a profit generator and don't include those digital files and they have to buy prints / guestbook etc. a la carte (which should pretty easily turn a 2k booking into a 3k+ one)

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:12 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hello

Welcome Dan.

I agree with a few of the other posters here. If you're going to do unlimited coverage, you need to charge much more. Like Kurtis said, $2k for 6hrs sounds pretty good.

I also agree with the comment about the menu bar.

The work on the site is great. I grew up in Elizabethtown, so It's good to see someone else on here from the area.

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.