Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Weaknesses seem to change

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Weaknesses seem to change

Last year I felt I was very weak at posing. I still feel that way, especially when a bride tends to dislike how she looks from one of the most commonly used angles I try to take advantage of...but I have a few tricks I can use now, even though I am kind of still in a posing/environment-use rut of a sort.

But now, I have a new thing: My candid photos during receptions seem to be lacking. Intermittently. Like I feel fairly good overall about my dance photos, but really getting interesting candids of people talking/laughing/etc...well I have not been doing a great job of that lately it seems. Tonight's were probably the best I've done in a while, but still definitely not as good as I used to...and something else noteworthy is that I've been using 50mm a bit more lately instead of 85 for indoors reception times...sometimes I think it's hindering me compositionally because I don't know how to use 50mm well, but 85 seems too long so often.

Oh well...just another hurdle I guess. What do you all look for when you try to frame/capture candids of guests/family/friends?

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:23 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #2 · Weaknesses seem to change

Try relaxing. It's hard to get good candid shots if you are trying to force it to happen, or force a composition.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:11 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #3 · Weaknesses seem to change

I gravitate towards people I see already laughing and enjoying themselves. Especially if someone is in the middle of telling a story and everyone is watching/listening attentively. Usually you can just wait for a punchline to happen and then blammo, insta-candid-laughing-shot. But other than that, just keeping an eye on people in conversation. I think it's fairly apparent when people are really listening to each other and there are usually good shots to be had in these situations.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:24 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Weaknesses seem to change

dhp_sf wrote:
I gravitate towards people I see already laughing and enjoying themselves. Especially if someone is in the middle of telling a story and everyone is watching/listening attentively. Usually you can just wait for a punchline to happen and then blammo, insta-candid-laughing-shot. But other than that, just keeping an eye on people in conversation. I think it's fairly apparent when people are really listening to each other and there are usually good shots to be had in these situations.

I do the gravitation thing too, but oftentimes I miss some of the best stuff if I hear it and then go over instead of somehow anticipating...

But what I'm more concerned about right now is that my framing of such interactions is kind of blah, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong now that I didn't used to be doing that way.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:55 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #5 · Weaknesses seem to change

do you have an example of what you used to do and what you do now that you feel is less significant?

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:27 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Weaknesses seem to change

It's hard to describe...if I could really understand what it was, then I could probably regain it. I think it's got to do more with my feeling and sensation that I get when taking the photos...which has been feeling off a lot lately.

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Weaknesses seem to change

the difference is purely upstairs. Always is, always will be.

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:09 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Weaknesses seem to change

But the difference upstairs often affects the results too.

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:04 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #9 · Weaknesses seem to change

Most important stuff that affect my photography:
1) lack of sleep; If I didn't get at least 9hours of sleep, my photos won't be amazing.
2) Emotions; I take totally different photos depending on my mood. If I just had a fight, my compositions are more in the face. Love makes me look for more romance and I am able to capture more interaction between people.
3) Time between jobs; If you have to shoot for days and days without a break, you will get borred and lazy. Try to keep your intrest on the subject. If this doesn't work, get up early and look at the sunrise. Then take your filmcamera and take 10 photographs. For me this works every time I start to feel my photography is lacking. It's not about what you photograph, but about photographing something else. If it's early, the chance of you seeing something else is much bigger.
4) Time for myself.

I would say take a break and go on a holliday. It's all in the mind, everything is.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Weaknesses seem to change

I rarely sleep well before a shoot...
My mood varies, but I am usually just nervous.
I actually tend to get a little more creative and better with overall technique if I do multiple shoots in a shorter span of time. something about short-term memory.
I never take time for myself (to shoot photos), but I desperately want to.

Apr 28, 2013 at 05:45 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Weaknesses seem to change

form wrote:
I rarely sleep well before a shoot.

Same here. Sometimes only a few hours; I end up being tired during the shoot.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:13 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password