New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · IR Conversion

CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IR Conversion

I'm looking to have my Olympus E-P1 converted to an IR camera. I'm planning on using either Lifepixel or Spencers to do the conversion. Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad with either of these companies?

I'm also trying to decide which conversion to do. Both companies offer, in addition to the standard 720nm filter, a deep BW (830nm) as well as a full spectrum conversion. Any comments or suggestions on these options? (I know there are more available, but I've narrowed my choices to these)

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:26 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IR Conversion

I did Spencer's about a year ago. 720nm G1. I used them because they understood how to convert a G1 and leave the dust shaker intact and Lifepixel didn't. Good price and service, a little thin on communication though. I think this was because I ordered right before Xmas and they were backed up converting cameras rather than answering emails. Regardless I got the camera back in less than two weeks. Was very happy.

I didn't do full spectrum because my 7-14 and 7.5 fisheye don't take filters.

If you want to do any sort of false color,processing you,don't want an 830nm as all the channels will be equal. For some lenses I think 830 is less sharp and hot spots a bit worse (I have an external 830 filter I used to compare). And that is another option, go 720 for your typical use and buy an 830 filter if you want to try that on occasion.

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:45 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IR Conversion

Good point on the 7-14. Hadn't thought of that. How do you like the 7-14 with IR?

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:59 PM
asbalyan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IR Conversion

Any particular reason you are going with EP1... Last month, Converted NEX3 went for $150 on B/S forum...

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IR Conversion

asbalyan wrote:
Any particular reason you are going with EP1... Last month, Converted NEX3 went for $150 on B/S forum...

Hehe, yeah I have the camera and a variety of lenses, but it's not being used since I moved to the E-M5. The E-P1 also has IBIS so it would seem to have an advantage over a converted NEX.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IR Conversion

I had my 5D converted to IR by Digital Silver Imaging (apparently done by PRECISION CAMERA REPAIR in Connecticut). They did a fine job. http://digitalsilverimaging.com/ir

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · IR Conversion

asbalyan wrote:

That is unusually cheap. Less than the cost of conversion, and less than the cost of a used NEX-3, from what I can see. You might wait a long time before finding another deal like that.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · IR Conversion

CVickery wrote:
Good point on the 7-14. Hadn't thought of that. How do you like the 7-14 with IR?

It does well with IR. There is the mildest hint of a hot spot that is probably a non-issue in most compositions and probably easily dealt with in PP otherwise.

I actually haven't been using my IR camera at all since shortly after I got it converted - new daughter in the house has resulted in much less free time and photography has moved from landscapes to her. I was hoping to get out and use it in the local area some, and probably will this year (now that the leaves are just coming out) but last year was too hectic to do so.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · IR Conversion

I bought a D70s converted to IR. It does sit idle for several months a year. If I lived in Florida or someplace with year-round foliage it would get more use.

Apr 26, 2013 at 02:30 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · IR Conversion

I've also been considering converting my Panasonic GX1 to IR. It's my backup to my OM-D now, but I have the X-E1 that can do a large portion of work if for some reason the OM-D died, and the GX1 has not seen regular use in a very long time. Since resale value on it sucks (which is a bummer...it's a good camera!) I think I might get it converted here soon. Hadn't seen Spencers, but it looks like that might be the way I go, since I think I'd want the 665nm filter, and Lifepixel charges an extra $100 for anything other than the 720.

Apr 26, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · IR Conversion

Jman13 wrote:
I think I'd want the 665nm filter, and Lifepixel charges an extra $100 for anything other than the 720.

LifePixel is currently having a sale, the other filters are currently $50 and the conversion has been discounted. I currently am awaiting my GX1 to return home with the "super color" 590nm Filter.

Apr 26, 2013 at 02:57 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · IR Conversion

Tom Harpstead wrote:
LifePixel is currently having a sale, the other filters are currently $50 and the conversion has been discounted. I currently am awaiting my GX1 to return home with the "super color" 590nm Filter.

Yes, but their 'sale' prices are still $75 more than Spencers' regular price.

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:03 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.