Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Appeals Court Ruling in Copyright Case Allows Artist’s Re-Use of Photos

henryp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Appeals Court Ruling in Copyright Case Allows Artist’s Re-Use of Photos

Appeals Court Ruling Favors Richard Prince in Copyright Case Allows Artist's Re-Use of Photos

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Appeals Court Ruling in Copyright Case Allows Artist’s Re-Use of Photos

Legalized theft

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM
TT1000
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Appeals Court Ruling in Copyright Case Allows Artist’s Re-Use of Photos

Better to be Appropriation Artist than Photographer:

"Cario [photographer]...has earned just over $8,000 in royalties from Rasta since its publication. He has sold four prints from the book, and only to personal acquaintances."

"Prince ["appropriation artist"] sold eight artworks for a total of $10,480,000, and exchanged seven others for works by painter Larry Rivers and by sculptor Richard Serra."

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:50 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Appeals Court Ruling in Copyright Case Allows Artist’s Re-Use of Photos

I would probably agree with the last lines of the article,

Donn Zaretsky, a lawyer who blogs about art-law cases and has closely followed the Prince case, agreed with Mr. Brooks. “To me it’s a missed opportunity to really bring some clarity to this issue,” he said. “How do you decide whether something is transformative or just not quite transformative enough?” .

The decision remains highly dependent on the case itself. So this means it is still possible to make broad challenges to fair use doctrine in courts in the future.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Appeals Court Ruling in Copyright Case Allows Artist’s Re-Use of Photos

"Fair use" ends, unequivocally, when the "user" (thief) earns a single cent from the "use" (theft). If the court says otherwise they're accomplices to the crime. Cario is entitled to every cent Prince "earned" from his "use."

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Appeals Court Ruling in Copyright Case Allows Artist’s Re-Use of Photos

+1 @ fair use = no $$$ gain ... and transformative/derviative is no excuse.

I made it, you took it for personal gain = theft ... too simple.

Oh, but you put work into to make it different ... yeah, I put work into it too, before you got your hands on it.
50/50 split @ profits or jail for theft.

Vent/rant ... but c'mon where does it end and why is it so difficult to comprehend ... you are not entitled to my stuff, go make your own stuff (or pay me/someone to do it for you).

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:19 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Appeals Court Ruling in Copyright Case Allows Artist’s Re-Use of Photos

RustyBug wrote:
Legalized theft

The best definition!
Comparing to this specimen - Richard Prince - a Wolfgang Beltracchi is a hard working artist.
A Beltracchi sweats for his work. He looks for canvases, colours, and most notably he invents/reinvents/continues somebody elses work. He is a talented painter ( I`m not saying copyer because he didn`t do that). Not anyone could do that.

A richard prince started by photographing the Marlboro man series/advertisement. Let me emphasize it: he photographed a print. He enhanced the colours,printed them large and sold them for millions.
What I can`t understand is why somebody would pay millions for a known fake?

Apr 27, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Appeals Court Ruling in Copyright Case Allows Artist’s Re-Use of Photos

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ fair use = no $$$ gain ... and transformative/derviative is no excuse.

I made it, you took it for personal gain = theft ... too simple.

Too simple indeed.

May 02, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Appeals Court Ruling in Copyright Case Allows Artist’s Re-Use of Photos

mdude85 wrote:
I would probably agree with the last lines of the article,

The decision remains highly dependent on the case itself. So this means it is still possible to make broad challenges to fair use doctrine in courts in the future.

I often wonder if it's possible to bring clarity to these issues, given how fact-intensive each case is. Further, each regional federal circuit can each interpret the law differently.

May 02, 2013 at 10:27 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.