FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Direct mail

CMB Photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Direct mail

Nothing came out in the search. So I wonder if anyone use it or have used it in the past. Recommendations, comments, ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Maks

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:49 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Direct mail

If you know how to target people getting married who would be into your value proposition by address, and if you know how to design something shippable that would be compelling and lead them to the next step in your process then go for it.

Pretty big "ifs" though. Never heard of it working for wedding photographers.

- trr

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:51 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Direct mail

I don't but I thought of options like Marathon press. That it is targeted by area, demographics.

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:53 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Direct mail

I'd probably put postcard-sized ad cards at bridal shops and the like where more significant numbers of targeted clients are known to congregate. If they're looking for a wedding photographer, they'll likely pick it up if it's well designed and impacting. Direct mail usually results in mostly throwing money away, if you cannot target the potential clients as Todd mentioned.

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:55 PM
asparkes
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Direct mail

I think this would get pretty darn expensive for wedding togs, duder.

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:16 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Direct mail

Most photographers fail at direct mail because they're expecting big results consisting of calls asking for appointments from their mailing. They create a poorly constructed piece, mail it out to a bad list, and when the anticipated results don't materialize, they fault the medium. How many times have you heard, "direct mail doesn't work"? What they really mean is, "my attempt at direct mail didn't work."

You need to target the list for characteristics of the people who are likely clients. Not all lists are created equal. You need to construct a compelling offer with persuasive copy. You need to give them a reason to respond and clear instructions on how to respond. And you need to get read.

The offer needs to be something they'd actually want and pertaining to your photography so you get people who are interested in your photography (in other words don't run a contest to win a vacation in Aruba).

Understand that several mailings need to take place because not everyone acts on it right away. Other things in their life may pre-empt that.

And don't look so much at response rates. Yours will vary. The most important thing to look at is the ROI. If you mail out 1,000 pieces at a total cost of $1000, for example, and get a .5% response (5 responses), the response rate may be low but let's say you book a total of $5000, then that's a 500% return. And that's what matters more (for more information on thinking through marketing and its costs you may want to read the PhotoMint blog and watch for my articles being published this year).

There's a ton of stuff to know about all this so you'll either learn by trial and error, or give up in the process. Personally I would stay clear of DM unless you know what you're doing because it becomes costly if you don't know what you're doing but profitable if you do.

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:38 AM
cas5
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Direct mail

I owned a direct mail company for 10 years and did very well. Our response rates were all over the board from small fractions of 1% to mid 40%. I'm fairly certain that direct mail would work for wedding photographers, though I've never tried it.

The trick is that you have to know the list and offer intimately. If you are blanket mailing zip code lists I guarantee that you'll flush piles of money quickly. If you have a well designed direct mail campaign for people that inquire on your website I'd guess that you'd have response rates pushing into the 30% range.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Direct mail

cas5 wrote:
I owned a direct mail company for 10 years and did very well. Our response rates were all over the board from small fractions of 1% to mid 40%. I'm fairly certain that direct mail would work for wedding photographers, though I've never tried it.

The trick is that you have to know the list and offer intimately. If you are blanket mailing zip code lists I guarantee that you'll flush piles of money quickly. If you have a well designed direct mail campaign for people that inquire on your website I'd guess that you'd have response rates pushing into
...Show more

I'm a little surprised how rare use Direct mail gets. (From what I hear here) I thought it'll be more common use between wedding photogs.
I used to work with one local photog, and she was getting majority of her gigs from direct mail (I don't remember many other details).
I was also thinking of using Marathon press specifically, relying on their advise, technology and expertise in that or this areas. It was mentioned during one of the creative live seminars. That that's how you do it. Trust them, they'll do it for you.
Despite, thanks to you guys and those who did use it (in any form(s)) what was your experience? So far, I see it as a "tricky" tool to use (at least on your own) Or otherwise too expensive (Cost effectiveness). Correct?

Thanks! Happy Friday and easy shooting this weekend!

Maks

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.