Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

pepperman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

Is it possible to use portable lights like the Einstein 640s with a high shutter speed to stop action such as a dancer in mid jump or a person on a runner going over a hurdle? I know that I can do it with my flashes but I am looking for more power.
Thanks in advance!
Stuart

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:13 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

Canon Speedlites do true High Speed Sync (a Canon trademark) by pulsing the flash rapidly to simulate continuous light during the time the shutter slit is moving across the sensor.

Einsteins and similar monolights and pack-and-head strobes can't do this, but people have obtained faster-than-normal-sync shots by taking advantage of the (relatively) long trail-off of a regular strobe's pulse through changes in sync timing. Various names for this include Hyper Sync (Pocket Wizard) and others.

I'm not knowledgable on the specifics of the technique, but I know it has been done.

Another option, if you can shoot indoors or at night, is to use a normal-sync shutter speed combined with very low ambient light levels, low ISO settings, and smallish apertures to prevent the continuous light from recording. In that way, whether the shutter is open for 1/250 second, 1/200 second, or even 1/60 second, the strobe's 1/1000-second or faster pulse is what lights the subject frozen in time.

Edited on Apr 25, 2013 at 09:52 PM · View previous versions

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:22 PM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

Regarding Brian's last suggestion, check out Rob Galbraith's page for some info:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10053-10715

Einstein in action, so to speak:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/data//1/rec_imgs/3857_hurdler_preview.jpg

Set up:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/data//1/rec_imgs/3859_hurdler_setup_preview.jpg

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:58 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

A few years ago someone discovered the pre-flash from a Canon speedlight,, triggering a studio light optically, can be utilized as a hack for higher than sync limit flash shots if the studio light has a flash duration longer than the speed the shutter curtains travel across the sensor.

Normal sync is:
Shutter press
First curtain clears sensor (which takes about 1/300th sec)
Flash fires
Second curtain starts to close.

With the hack it is:
Shutter press
pre-flash from speedlight before shutter opens
Studio light fires....
First curtain opens
Second curtain follows forming a moving slit

The "catch" is that regardless of if the indicated shutter speed is 1/500th or 1/8000th sec. it will still take the moving slit creating the exposure 1/300th sec. to cross the sensor completely. In other words what determines how long the flash duration must be isn't the indicated exposure speed of the shutter but the fixed and relatively slower rate the shutter curtains move. You'll need a studio light with a very long flash duration to get even exposure across the entire frame.

The variable with that optical trigger hack is the timing between the pre-flash, peak illumination of the main flash and when the first curtain opens. For example in solo ETTL mode there is just one metering pre-flash fired before the first curtain starts to open. More than likely the flash will not be at peak intensity when the shutter opens and tail off before the slit entirely crosses the sensor. The edges on the long dimension may get less exposure, but that can be worked around by simply cropping wider in camera. The other caveat is that the shutter treats the flash similar to a continuous source and shutter speed affects exposure. So as the indicated speed increases flash power must also increase or flash-subject distance decreased.

The advantage of radio triggering is adjustable control over the timing between when the studio flash is fired and the shutter opens. There is also the low-tech trial and error manual method where you manually trigger the flash then a split second later press the shutter with separate remote triggers in both hands.

With a cable release for the camera and a trip to the hardware store for a hinge and bolts and Radio Shack for push-button switch for the flash trigger you could DIY a mechanical dual button switch for shutter and flash trigger with adjustable bolts, similar to an old fashioned telegraph key:

==
| |
|

F C

When the hinge is lowered on to the buttons the longer bolt would depress the flash switch before the shorter bolt depresses the button on the shutter remote. By adjusting the length bolt for the flash you could control the shutter lag after flash precisely and consistently.

With just gaffer tape, some scrap wood and ingenuity you could also jury rig a similar arrangement where adjustable bolts on a hinged arm press directly onto the buttons of radio flash trigger and camera remote. Necessity is the mother of invention

Apr 27, 2013 at 06:14 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

cgardner wrote:
A few years ago someone discovered the pre-flash from a Canon speedlight,, triggering a studio light optically, can be utilized as a hack for higher than sync limit flash shots if the studio light has a flash duration longer than the speed the shutter curtains travel across the sensor.

Interesting that you brought up the "high speed hack" as I was just thinking about it last night.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I think what I'm envisioning would work: I have recently acquired four YN622C radios, and they are capable of High Speed Sync with Canon Speedlights. They also have PC sockets. I think I could use HSS mode on the camera and the camera-mounted YN622C transmitter, and connnect one or more YN622C receivers to slow strobes to get the "hack effect."

It wouldn't allow for adjustment of the timing, the way Pocket Wizards' Hyper Sync does, but I'm thinking it might work better than using the optical sensor method when outdoors in bright sun.

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:31 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

I can sync my Promaster d400r strobe (going for $185 on amazon right now) up to 1/8000th when combined with my yongnuo 622 triggers

May 15, 2013 at 03:34 PM
george malamis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

You can get a faster shutter speed with studio strobes by taking advantage of PW's hypersync features. Check out the link

http://www.diyphotography.net/introduction-studio-strobes-hypersync-and-water-actions-sports

May 15, 2013 at 04:48 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

BrianO wrote:
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but ... I think I could use HSS mode on the camera and the camera-mounted YN622C transmitter, and connnect one or more YN622C receivers to slow strobes to get the "hack effect."

sklar wrote:
I can sync my Promaster d400r strobe (going for $185 on amazon right now) up to 1/8000th when combined with my yongnuo 622 triggers

Good to hear! I was pretty sure it would work, and now I know. Thanks.

May 15, 2013 at 06:59 PM
george malamis
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

sklar wrote:

Can you describe how the hack is done? I would like to give it a try.
thx

May 16, 2013 at 08:07 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

sklar wrote:

george malamis wrote:
Can you describe how the hack is done? I would like to give it a try.

What strobe will you be using George? (It needs to be one with a relatively slow t.1 time. For example, Alien Bees at reduced power would work, but Einstein wouldn't; it's too fast.)

May 16, 2013 at 11:40 AM
george malamis
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1D MkIV, HSS with external strobes? Is This Possible?

I have 2 AB800's and an AB1600.

May 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.