Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

dswiger wrote:
If that's their target, & the lens performance, I'll just by a used 24 TSE mkI for about the same $$ & less futzing around

Dan

Well, Nikon users and mostly Sony users will be happier about it (Sony pretty much doesnt have any option). But for Canon users.. probably not too interesting.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:25 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Did they add aperture control to the released product? I recall the prototype had the antediluvian style aperture ring without coupling.

EBH

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM
artd
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

cputeq wrote:
Samyang seems to be using extremely conservative sharpening on those samples.

I don't think "conservative sharpening" is the issue. My impression is that 24TSEII images look crisper than that without any sharpening applied at all.

But, I'll stress the word "impression." I'm sure side-by-side comparisons in the near future will help provide more definitive answers.

Of course...even if the Samyang doesn't measure up, that's not necessarily a shameful thing since the Canon 24TSEII is pretty much the best TS around right now

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:43 AM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Gunzorro wrote:
What. . . Lenstip doesn't know how to clean a sensor or set exposure compensation for correct exposure?

The lens shots look pretty good, but hard to tell without better sharpness and exposure.

I'd miss the "E" of TS-E. I've pretty well moved away from Alt lenses that don't convey exif, auto aperture, etc. But I do own three Samyang lenses, and I expect this one will have good IQ.

And they don't know how to use the Shift either? Posting TS images that haven't been shift corrected - what's the point of that?

I'll be quite surprised if it matches the IQ of the Canon.

Glenn

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:55 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

not as crisp as the canon?? maybe some of it is the 1ds3 in cam jpgs
worse corners?
disappointing sorta?

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:37 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

hmm the samples on the samyang site look more impressive though, the corners don't go to mush as on lenstip and it shows some promise actually....

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:42 AM
raydee

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Before jumping conclusions we will have to wait for some more sophisticated samples than those delivered by Lenstip. I am not criticizing their effort to get some samples out, but their approach with zero sharpening sooc jpegs is not something most of the people jumping for the samples are used to. I have never seen what in camera jpeg with zero sharpening does to my current lenses, thus I have no practical knowledge what to expect and no experience to relate to.

Also, there is some rather questionable use of tilt and shift just for the sake of it, which doesn't seem to do the lens any justice.

I am really looking forward to Lenstips' in-depth review of the lens with all physical properties tested, as their reviews are usually excellent in that regard.

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

R3medy

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Guys don't even bother to draw conclusions based on lenstip's samples. They are known for their fail logic with zero sharpening JPEGs. Every single sample from them looks like plain crap. Pick any lens You think is razor sharp then head to their test base and check their samples - a disaster. There is no other way to describe it better than disaster.

Now, even if this lens is not as sharp/great as Canon's 24 it doesn't matter it's still gonna sell way, waaaaaaaaaaaay better because it's less than half the price. HALF the price of an expensive lens and that's an MSRP, street price will be lower. Samyang already can't keep up with the demand for 35 f/1.4 and 24 f/1.4 and this is gonna be another hot cake.
It really doesn't have to be another Canon 24L, it will be enough to be a hit.

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Bubble
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

there are 6 units that are available to purchase right now from ebay vendor. No need to wait for pre-order.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rokinon-24mm-F3-5-Tilt-Shift-Lens-for-Canon-New-/350780276314?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item51ac223e5a

4 available to purchase for Nikon mount:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rokinon-24mm-F3-5-Tilt-Shift-Lens-for-Nikon-New-/350780277263?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item51ac22420f

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:19 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Looking forward to test results of this lens. Hoping it's up to the task of paring with a D800e. I use a 24 TSE MK II on my 5D3 and would love to have the Samyang approach the quality of the Canon (I can't imagine it'd equal it) or at least surpass that of Nikon's 24 TS.

Cheers!

Apr 29, 2013 at 02:52 PM
raydee

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

First available review drops in...

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-t-s-24mm-f-3-5-ed-as-umc-lens-review-21853

The blue flare spots and rainbows are quite a bit of a letdown... Sharpness looks good to me, the (measured) distortion seems quite hefty compared to the TS-E 24mm MkII (2.5% vs. 0.9%)

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:39 AM
raydee

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Another review on a polish Website, Google translated

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fotopolis.pl%2Findex.php%3Fn%3D16908

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:44 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Hmmmm. Not too impressed with what I've seen so far. Vignetting, distortion, and rainbow ghosting are all severe. Overall IQ is okay, but not stellar. Does not seem up to Nikon PC quality, and I wouldn't use Nikon PC lenses.

I would definitely buy a used EF 24 TS-E v.1 over this lens. CA was its worst problem and that can now be largely corrected in LR4. Not quite as sharp as v.2, but plenty sharp enough.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:53 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

raydee wrote:
The blue flare spots and rainbows are quite a bit of a letdown...

Agreed. Man, that's a bummer. Both sites show the problem so it's likely a design problem, not just a faulty lens.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password