Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images
Lenstip.com just posted new Samyang T-S 24 mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC sample images with the lens mounted on a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III body.
All pictures are jpeg files straight from the camera with lowest level of sharpening and compression and with noise reduction off.

The new Samyang Tilt-Shift 24mm to be released in mid-May is finally available for pre-order.
The US retail price is set to $999. About half the price of the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L.

Pre-order the Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC at B&H Photo for $999

Also available for Nikon and Sony Alpha mounts.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:58 PM
raydee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Samyang raises the curtain a bit and gives us 10 new sample images to get us interested. The first batch of lenses has been confirmed to be shipping (how much that will ever be) and shall be available in the stores by mid may

http://www.samyang.pl/index.php/en/2013/kwiecie/137-samyang-tilt-shift-24mm-w-sprzeday-od-poowy-maja

At a first glance, the interior shots seem pretty rad.

MSRP is 979

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Henga
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Lenstip has just uploaded photos taken with the lens and they look good. Even the lens distortion seems to be quite low. I can't do any comparison with the Canon 24 TSE though because I've never had this lens.

Arnaud

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:00 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Interersting new lens, I would certainly look into it if I hadn't found a decent deal on Canon's 24/3.5 T/S II lens a while back. About time that prices go down in the T/S lens field - if this Samyang lens is a keeper, I hope they continue developing new T/S lenses in other focal lengths, too.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Albi86
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Price is certainly sweet!

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:09 PM
robinlee
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

The samples look interesting although some shots i.e. by the beach is not as sharp as I wished to see but the cathedral is excellent wondering how will the Samyang vs Canon 24mm ts-e and Zeiss 21mm in corner tests. Center and mid frame looks sharp to my eyes

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:33 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Images are not bad, though you'd think they'd either clean the sensor or clean up the images before posting test results...

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Looks like I may f found my next wide lens and first t/s lens.

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Sellerman
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Good job on the manufacturers!

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:46 PM
artd
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

The lens seems pretty well corrected for distortion. Though to me it doesn't look to have as much resolving power as the Canon 24TSEII. There's a crispness to Canon TSE images that I'm not seeing here. Hard to say anything definitive of course without direct comparision shots, but at least to my eye these samples make me think the Samyang is not going to challenge the Canon optically.

But, I'll still be waiting for comparision shots just like everyone else

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

The sample images aren't as sharp as my old Canon 24mm f3.5L, and certainly not in the same league as the 24 f3.5L II - perhaps they were just quick hand-held snapshots? I'll have to reserve judgement until I see some additional tests.

Good news for Sony owners, though...

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:05 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Samyang's samples are pretty impressive. Less so Lenstip, because so many of them have limited DOF. Lenstip's JPEGs also appear to have next to zero sharpening and respond very well to the typical 0.3 radius USM. So far, it seems about average for a 24mm prime, if not quite to the level of Canon's version.

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:08 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Still very interested in this lens, sharpness looks on par with my other Samyang primes.
But the over did the tilt on one of the shots
The outside cathedral/building shot, sam24k_fot10.jpg is the cleanest example.
This one is at f8, probably the sweet spot and looks as sharp as my 35mm Samyang, which is very good.

Like I mentioned, the tilt was not done properly on the earlier shots so stuff on the roofs is OOF

I would like to see a few more tests before I put it on a my CC

Dan

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:08 PM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

The images do not seem to be anywhere near as sharp as the Canon MK II version, but I guess you get what you pay for. It is a pity they could not have posted better photographs for the test these are very poor images.

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

What. . . Lenstip doesn't know how to clean a sensor or set exposure compensation for correct exposure?

The lens shots look pretty good, but hard to tell without better sharpness and exposure.

I'd miss the "E" of TS-E. I've pretty well moved away from Alt lenses that don't convey exif, auto aperture, etc. But I do own three Samyang lenses, and I expect this one will have good IQ.

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

Chm, that would need to be really cheap..

CA (corrected, but it has CA), not enough resolution for D800. Bit of distortion if Im not blind..

Well I guess as low cost TS option its not bad, but not sure if E-PL5 plus TS adapter for "any" lens wouldnt do same. Or even better..

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:39 PM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

The lenstips photos seem to indicate that this lens is fairly soft wide open and about average when stopped down to f/5.6. It obviously isn't competing against the 24 TSE II, but It seems to be competitive against the TSE mk I from the pictures I looked at.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

John Mills wrote:
The images do not seem to be anywhere near as sharp as the Canon MK II version, but I guess you get what you pay for. It is a pity they could not have posted better photographs for the test these are very poor images.

Samyang seems to be using extremely conservative sharpening on those samples.

Samyang's original file, cropped and downscaled from 1400 px to 1280 LR4.4 (downsample sharpening - low)

Samyang_T-S_24mm_4 by J L Smith, on Flickr

Same shot after I've run it through a touch of Vivezia and RAW Presharpener (with perhaps a little bit of crunchyness added by flickr of course)

Samyang_T-S_24mm_4-Edit by J L Smith, on Flickr

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

What I don't get is why the hell they didn't post any small-aperture non-cliche tilt shots - aka sharp foreground / background, not that blur crap I can get with 2 seconds of photoshop. This has me concerned

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Sample Images

kezeka wrote:
The lenstips photos seem to indicate that this lens is fairly soft wide open and about average when stopped down to f/5.6. It obviously isn't competing against the 24 TSE II, but It seems to be competitive against the TSE mk I from the pictures I looked at.

If that's their target, & the lens performance, I'll just by a used 24 TSE mkI for about the same $$ & less futzing around

Dan

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password