Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · lens issue / please help

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · lens issue / please help

warpedwoof wrote:
To settle this once and for all. The lens was decentered before I received it. I've linked an image from the former owner's set on the Zeissimages.com forum. If you zoom the image you can readily see the left side is soft at 30mm and f7.1 while the right side is much sharper by comparison.

And you still bought it
BTW, no need for me to compare pics if you already adamantly know this.

Caveat Emptor (i.e. due diligence) ... where's the beef?

What did the seller do to intentional (factually/objectively) deceive you? Trying to impose morals/ethics of your standard (or mine, etc.) return policy onto someone else (especially ... after the fact) isn't really something that we can do very well here (feedback system is available to help). It always sucks when the expectations between buyer/seller aren't on the same page. It doesn't matter if that is photographer/client, homeowner/contractor, retailer/consumer, etc. ... when the terms of the agreement are left "loose" and the buyer is unhappy, it falls back to the terms that were established ... i.e. Caveat Emptor ... and the (variant) policy's of the seller.

I'm sure I'd be ticked if I had a seller unwilling to accept a return for a defective item, but we can't really be the morals/ethics police here. If you truly have been wronged (vs. Caveat Emptor), you might seek recourse through your payment method (i.e. PayPal, Credit Card, etc.) as that has been an avenue that has on occasion proven successful if a seller has truly been unscrupulous in his presentation. Of course, the passage of time is working against you a bit, unless you have evidence that you began trying to resolve this in a timely manner ... but that is still a possibility that I've seen work for others.

Granted there are multiple considerations involved here for perspective ... but it's kinda tough to get past due diligence vs. deceit vs. Caveat Emptor vs. ethics/morals when we don't have a dog in this fight ... as they are all kinda intertwined. Other than that ... I can extend some empathy @ it sucks, but as you've mentioned yourself, more due diligence (hindsight) could have been beneficial. Not sure @ what more we can do to assist?

GL and HTH
(i.e. check with PP/CC if you think you've been legally wronged from a deceitful transaction vs. only venting/ranting with fellow FM'ers)

Edited on Apr 29, 2013 at 08:25 PM · View previous versions

Apr 29, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · lens issue / please help

Quoting myself
Threads like this one can be seen from time to time. I have never seen one bringing happiness to the world.

Apr 29, 2013 at 08:12 PM
warpedwoof

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · lens issue / please help

Of course it's sour grapes. You all keep proving my point. Attack the messenger. Adjust your ethics accordingly. And live in denial because it suits a poor argument and a suspect integrity. That's what the seller chose.

Apr 29, 2013 at 08:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · lens issue / please help

I certainly was not trying to "attack" you. It certainly sucks you were unhappy with the lens and discovered it was defective. All most here have suggested is that this might have been avoided by taking precautions when buying and upon receiving the lens. "Trust, but verify", Caveat Emptor and always have an option of recourse if something goes wrong if you take all reasonable precautions. Perhaps you see this forum as your recourse? The issue would seem to be you simply don't like what most are saying...basically, that you did not take reasonable precautions in a timely manner.

Apr 29, 2013 at 09:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · lens issue / please help

warpedwoof wrote:
Attack the messenger.

What's the message?

A) I had a bad experience and want some sympathy
B) What are my options for recourse
C) I want to call out this particular seller, but this is as close as I feel I can come within the bounds of acceptable form
D) I just need an outlet to vent/rant
E) Want someone to say I'm right for feeling this way
F) I know I screwed up, but I still want someone to say the seller should fix my mistake to make me feel better
G) I'm trolling for response

I'm good (to varying degree) with all but F & G, and C is dubious (subjective judgment) at best (feedback system remains available).

Rarely do we all have the same opinion, but we do strive to mostly shoot straight with one another. We aren't a perfect family of fellow members by any means, but most do strive to shoot straight with each other. I think several members are beginning to feel that you are so emotionally charged (I get that) over this that you're not realizing that your fellow FM'ers are trying to shoot straight with you, even if it isn't what you want to hear. Shooting straight isn't the same as "attacking the messenger".

BTW, a broadcast suggesting that those who are striving to shoot straight with you have suspect integrity (did you mention "attacking the messenger") probably isn't going to garner you much support for your plight ... likely the opposite.

Apr 29, 2013 at 09:07 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · lens issue / please help

Hm, Im pretty positive I saw this lens somewhere with that ad along (remember that line about money making).

Well, its soft on one side, its obviously decentered and obviously not within specs. Either let Sony fix it or throw it away, what else you want to do with it?

Apr 29, 2013 at 09:34 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password