Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

5D2 skin tones

Dennis Joseph
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5D2 skin tones

Does anyone have a specific user setting for Skin Tones? I shoot in raw and I do correct in Lightroom, but would like a better base setting with flash and outdoors. Thank you

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · 5D2 skin tones

Lenses contribute as much tone shifting as variations between models of sensors. I suspect it is not the 5D2 that is the issue, but rather your mix of lighting, your flash colour temperature and its consistency, and the variation in daylight colour temperature depending on time of day, time of year, latitude, altitude, weather, and nearby colour masses like grass, trees, brick paths, brick walls, coloured building siding, etc.

Use an X-rite ColorChecker Passport or their larger colour card. You can get proper colour temperature that way, and if you profile the light-lens-camera combination you can get perfect colour.

There are no magic formulas for the best results.

If the colours you are getting with the standard settings in LR (like Daylight) are not good enough, then adjust the colour temperature slightly. If that is still not good enough, take a close look at the tint and adjust the tint control. If that is still not good enough use the Camera Calibration panel. If you need more control, there is the tinting control in the Color tab of the Lens Corrections panel. And there is the Split Toning panel.

There is no substitute for mastering tools. You can make your own profile for your camera and your lens and your flash and your altitude and your conditions that will beat any canned profile.

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:50 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 5D2 skin tones

I made a custom profile for LR using a Colorchecker and the Adobe DNG Profile Editor. That helped my skin tones quite a bit. It gives you the option, too, of creating a "dual-illuminant" profile that will cover the range pretty well from tungsten to daylight/flash.

Xrite has its own free profile creator although the last time I tried it, it produced a profile with greater saturation than I prefer.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Dennis Joseph
• •
p.1 #4 · 5D2 skin tones

Thank you to the two posters

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #5 · 5D2 skin tones

Monito is right, I have to do a lot of fine-tuning here too.

It is most difficult in mixed white balance or other difficult situations where you can't hit the white balance perfectly no matter what you do. About the only trick I have is sometimes if a certain color is lacking in the photo, ie. red, I will desaturate or remove just that color; ie. to avoid a 'sunburned faces' look. Otherwise it's just a fine-tuning and trying to find the best or most pleasing compromise that works for the photo.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · 5D2 skin tones

There is a simple straightforward way to deal with the issue of numerous varying lighting situations (including coloured ambient reflections) combined with multiple lenses and even multiple sensors.

Make a couple of photos of the most important subjects (say bride and groom and mother of the bride) with at least a gray card or a colorchecker in the shot. Photograph it in a very standard light source, like a consistent reliable flash unit or noonday sun between 10 am and 2 pm, and be sure that light overwhelms any other nearby lighting.

Work up that photo as carefully as you can to get a shot that is on the pleasing side of neutral, typically slightly warm. Then use that as the reference to bring up all the other shots to the same skin tones. Save a preset for each group of shots you work on to apply it to each shot in the group. Fine tune any special cases.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:18 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 5D2 skin tones

I seldom have difficulty achieving pleasing skin tones with the 5D2 if I shoot in RAW, especially
with the fine Canon 24-70L mkI. For this shot, I just selected to adjust the white balance color temperature and played with the slider, arriving at 5500K as the best color temperature according to my eyes on my monitor. I don't have a calibrated monitor, so I admit I am not the most
careful here. After running this through the Digital Lens Optimizer in DPP and other very minor brightness/contrast tweaks, I arrived here:

If you care to use a grey card, you can simplify the process, but even then I will sometimes
go for a slightly warmer balance than the card would dictate.

I very much like the way DPP renders skin tones, and would suggest anyone try it if they
are having skin tone color challenges.

Regards,
Tim

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:17 AM
macrobild
• •
p.1 #8 · 5D2 skin tones

To red cast for me.

Apr 27, 2013 at 08:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

macrobild
• •
p.1 #9 · 5D2 skin tones

an easy way to get rid of canon reddish cast are to change red hue against yellow.
you can also look at the cmyk that magenta is dominating over yellow in your pictures, it should be the another way around

To my 5dmk2 I have used qp-card and generated a day light profile who straiten up the reddish cast which can be seen in the most common profiles. Generate profiles with QP-Card software and reference card takes about 3 sec in the light you are shooting the pictures .

Apr 27, 2013 at 08:29 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 5D2 skin tones

macrobild wrote:
an easy way to get rid of canon reddish cast are to change red hue against yellow.
you can also look at the cmyk that magenta is dominating over yellow in your pictures, it should be the another way around

To my 5dmk2 I have used qp-card and generated a day light profile who straiten up the reddish cast which can be seen in the most common profiles. Generate profiles with QP-Card software and reference card takes about 3 sec in the light you are shooting the pictures .

If you want to remove red you add cyan (blue/green) not yellow.

Adding yellow removes blue.

Apr 27, 2013 at 08:46 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 5D2 skin tones

I've never been very happy with skin tones from Adobe's RAW converters. I much prefer Capture One for this - it seems to have much better colour profiles and the colour tone editing tools in C1 Pro are excellent. DPP also gives much better colours than ACR in my opinion. That said, the recent purchase of a Colorchecker passport has improved my results in LR a lot.

Apr 27, 2013 at 09:01 AM
macrobild
• •
p.1 #12 · 5D2 skin tones

dhphoto wrote:
If you want to remove red you add cyan (blue/green) not yellow.

Adding yellow removes blue.

http://www.olympusmicro.com/primer/images/filters/colortriangle.jpg

its easier to change the red cast in hue saturation and select red and move +4-6 add some yellow to get better skin tones

May 02, 2013 at 09:31 PM
macrobild
• •
p.1 #13 · 5D2 skin tones

15Bit wrote:
I've never been very happy with skin tones from Adobe's RAW converters. I much prefer Capture One for this - it seems to have much better colour profiles and the colour tone editing tools in C1 Pro are excellent. DPP also gives much better colours than ACR in my opinion. That said, the recent purchase of a Colorchecker passport has improved my results in LR a lot.

I make my own profiles for Canon with www.qpcard.com, it takes 3 sec and done
Adobe have improved theirs profiles for Canon , example so are blue better than before who had a more visual magenta cast as in blue sky . Capture One has always reproduced blue very good.

May 02, 2013 at 09:32 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 5D2 skin tones

You have to consider the ambient light which is reflected partly in the color of the surroundings that bounce it back. If you shoot near red stone or green grass, they will act as colored light sources. People forget this all the time.

May 03, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #15 · 5D2 skin tones

Something else that also helps: if using Lightroom (or ACR), use the Vibrance slider, not the Saturation slider.

May 04, 2013 at 10:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password