Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

mitesh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Monito wrote:
However, the EXIF says the 1D-X is on spot meter. That would explain the difference.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Jim Turner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Here's a couple of screen shots with the photo and Histogram, one using DPP the other CS6. The other is the file info from DPP.

Screen shot with CS6

Screen shot with DPP

DPP file info

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:15 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.2 #3 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

looks perfectly normal for an evaluative metering shot with the mixed lighting conditions in this particular shot.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Jim Turner
• •
p.2 #4 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Really? The photo seems so dark and the histogram has a gap on the right side of the graph indicating there are no whites represented. Here's another screen shot at +1.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:52 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #5 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Jim Turner wrote:
I just bought a 5D Mk III. I've owned the 5D, 1d MkIII/IV, 1Ds Mk III so I'm very familiar with Canon cameras. I'm shooting in Raw, Adobe RGB, evaluative, exposure compensation is 0, and Av. When I view the images in CS6, all images are underexposed by about 1 stop.

I think that Canons higher tier cameras tend to exposure a bit darker than their consumer models and definitively darker than most Nikon's. I think that it is a matter of Canon applying a bit of negative EC bias in order not to blow out highlights in jpegs for those pro shooters that need SOOC jpegs for a fast workflow/ short deadline.

I have dialed in a +2/8 in AE Microadjustment on my 1D X to get an exposure closer to my taste. The good thing is that the metering is very consistent and once in a while I just need to up with a +1/3 EC since I shoot in raw.

1 stop of underexposure on all subjects do sound off though.

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:00 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.2 #6 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

evertdoorn wrote:
looks perfectly normal for an evaluative metering shot with the mixed lighting conditions in this particular shot.

I'd agree. The background looks properly exposed to me. In a case like that I would think spot or center-weighted would be much better, or just boost EC after taking a shot and seeing the results.

What does it do in normal lighting and composition? Something like a landscape shot or just a normal interior image like the ones above with a fruit stand in the dining room.

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Jim Turner
• •
p.2 #7 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Here's a few more. All photos taken have the same histogram profile--the right side has no whites represented. The first shots of the tree were in sunlight with the tree providing shade.

Interior no flash

Outside of house in full sun

Outside of house with exposure correction

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #8 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

jctriguy wrote:
I'd agree. The background looks properly exposed to me. In a case like that I would think spot or center-weighted would be much better, or just boost EC after taking a shot and seeing the results.

What does it do in normal lighting and composition? Something like a landscape shot or just a normal interior image like the ones above with a fruit stand in the dining room.

Hmmm, a first glance I would say it is exposed 1/2 EV darken than what I would assume, but on second thought - the metering system takes extra bias from the light levels under the active focus point (which is bright) so combined with the fairly bright background it kinda makes sense.

We need better samples methinks too. Edit: Got some extras now.

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:20 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Maybe it is keyed into saving highlights so they don't blow and you pull the shadows some. I not having any real problems but just got the 5DIII. With the 5D, no problems but with the 5DII, flash always sucked and I had to play with the settings a lot. For macro work it does fine but normal PR work and so on, . . . not great.

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:36 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Possibly there is some bias in your meter to a small underexposure (say 1/3 stop), but I do not think it is a full stop under.

You do not have a sensor problem.

A) They seem dark, but I think the camera is doing the right thing, which is why we shoot Raw mode. (see #3).

B) The proper exposure is probably a half or 2/3 stop higher, which is why we use the HistoBlinkyMeter in Manual mode.

C) The meter is performing correctly. It is trying to turn everything into middle gray, which is what it's purpose in life is. That is why we shoot in Manual mode and adjust based on the HistoBlinkyMeter on the camera back.

Meters don't know what particular shades things are and so aims for middle gray. The birch trees: they are whiter than middle gray, but the meter can't know whether they should be like other trees and darker than middle gray or lighter. It doesn't even know they are trees. So it turns them into middle gray. The background is roughly the same tone and gets the same treatment.

The interior has very flat lighting, low contrast but is above middle gray. The meter is trying to turn the white walls into middle gray.

The bright outside light siding is dominating the reading and the camera is underexposing it to turn it into middle gray.

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Do you have a black cat and a black couch? Try shooting that with only those two elements in the picture, and according to the meter. You may find you end up with a middle gray cat on a middle gray couch.

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:41 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Do you have a gray card? A ColorChecker card? Shoot a picture with those and perhaps a person holding them, and a bit of green tree background or some recognizable shade.

Shoot it exposed in sunlight with the sun behind you between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm, exposing for the gray card by the 5D3's spot meter mode. (Note there are issues with 18% versus 12%, so it is not a definitive test, but it is the next step.)

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Ferrophot
• •
p.2 #13 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

This is very subjective to different people and different Canon cameras each meter scenes differently. It is possible to determine if it is the camera (sensor+electronics) or the meter by shooting different cameras in M mode. All my cameras have metered differently, Strangely the best metering to my eyes was the cheapest, an XTi. The worst is my 7D which I believe is too biased to the centre focus point and is inconsistent. I can take a burst of 5 shots, there will be one around #3 that is under by a stop, the rest are +/- 1/2 a stop. I put it down to some secret elvaluateve mode processing. I find it frustrating that after 50 years of AE I'm still bewildered by its antics. I'm prepared to put up with small errors but if my 5D3 was always one stop under I think I would be sending it in.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Jim Turner wrote:
Really? The photo seems so dark and the histogram has a gap on the right side of the graph indicating there are no whites represented. Here's another screen shot at +1.

You shot a silver birch (?) and the camera tried to make it middle grey, but it's clearly brighter than middle grey in real life, so I would always start at +2/3EV by default (spot metered off the birch), on that type of scene and fine tune from there.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

It is normal to have to compensate exposure a bit for subject metering, and Canon bodies do underexpose a little. It is more like 1/3 stop most of the time. I don't notice the 5D III being different from my other FF bodies.

EBH

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:32 AM
diverhank
• •
p.2 #16 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Funny your "underexposed" samples look spot on for me and your compensated look a little washed out. Per your standards, my 5D3 underexposes too

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

diverhank wrote:
Funny your "underexposed" samples look spot on for me and your compensated look a little washed out. Per your standards, my 5D3 underexposes too

Is your monitor calibrated, or is it store-bought optimized for gaming (brighter than optimal)?

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:06 AM
diverhank
• •
p.2 #18 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Monito wrote:
Is your monitor calibrated, or is it store-bought optimized for gaming (brighter than optimal)?

My monitor is color calibrated. For brightness, I calibrate it to match my prints. Please take a look at my Flickr pictures and let me know if they are off. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:15 AM
SLD
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

Pixel Perfect wrote:
You shot a silver birch (?) and the camera tried to make it middle grey, but it's clearly brighter than middle grey in real life, so I would always start at +2/3EV by default (spot metered off the birch), on that type of scene and fine tune from there.

+1

You have to learn the basic EC while shooting... I see nothing wrong with your camera..

Good luck !

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Canon 5D Mark III all photos underexposed

diverhank wrote:
Please take a look at my Flickr pictures and let me know if they are off. Thanks.

Sure. What flickr pics? Not in evidence in your post or your profile or your buttons underneath your post.

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:05 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password