Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

what are your thoughts when creative?

heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · what are your thoughts when creative?

Hi,

I think this can get quite intersting, what do you think?

OK, "what do you think"?

When your are in the middle of a shooting (enagement, wedding, whatever) what is your thought-process? Do you just let it flow and rely on your guts or to you think more cognitive about what to do, where to place yourself, when to press the shutter?

I for myself do it often like this:

"OK, that is obvious, lets try something else...where is the light?...where to place myself?...28 or 50? (two boddies)...exposure?...composition?(classic/cut/background)?...
OK...moment...moment...click-click.

next one, if the situation evolves I often stay for a moment and get the story.

When it gets hectic I fall back to my gut-feeling.

Probably quite normal and unspectacular. What about you? Do you do it different?

heiko

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · what are your thoughts when creative?

I usually have the completed photo in my mind before I put my camera to my face. For portraits its pretty much the same, except sometimes I have to work out the pose on the fly.

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:08 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · what are your thoughts when creative?

I don't think I'm creative at all, but usually I'm thinking about how to move faster and get everything done in less time. I don't have a shot in mind while I'm shooting, I just know the technique and once we find the light we basically execute and move faster. It isn't about creativity, just working through the process quickly.

- trr

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:21 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · what are your thoughts when creative?

One thing I learned early on when photographing people is that I'm not consistently creative. Therefore, I try to put my efforts and focus into aspects of the day that I can do on a consistent basis. I try to key in on four aspects when making a shot: content, composition, light, and timing. Like Tony, I know what I'm looking for...then it becomes a matter of waiting for it.

I prepared this thread two years ago titled "The Thinking Behind the Shot". It was my fourth wedding. Not too much has changed for me in my approach:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1052279

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:23 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #5 · what are your thoughts when creative?

thanks Chuck for the link

very interesting

heiko

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:49 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · what are your thoughts when creative?

I am rarely creative during a shoot - my mind blanks and I fall back on things I have done a hundred times already - but occasionally before or after a shoot I have bursts of inspiration where I can visualize various posing positions.

During an actual wedding...I tend to try to avoid certain environmental features and unwanted stuff, and I may adjust my position to use someone's body to block those things...I often watch out for distorting faces/arms with wide lenses, look out for stray hairs on the face or back fat or fat arms, catch the subject smiling or otherwise engaged in some way that is interesting, try to capture multiple things happening at once or context in a photo if possible. Sometimes I look for frames, rarely for things to shoot through. I often try to isolate subjects while still establishing their connection to someone/something else nearby. For formal photos I do occasionally try to create head-triangles. I would like to use environment better for formals, but I don't have the knowledge to create effective compositions for unique body positioning.

Posing times...I try to look out for fat, double chins, stray hairs again, and what angles look the most aesthetically pleasing about the bride in my opinion. I know just a few tricks at this point to reduce some flaws. My poses are still contrived and boring and I lack enough understanding of proper positioning of various extremities and body posture to accurately visualize any specific pose. However, as far as scenery goes, I often have an idea of how I want to use the environment before I actually tell the subjects how I want them to pose/etc...I will try several framings of the same shot, usually finding one I like better than the others.

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:51 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #7 · what are your thoughts when creative?

It depends on the timeline and the clients.

If there is limited time and the clients are not easy on cameras, then I just use common poses and make them relax ASAP. Poses are important but not the only thing. I want to see the connection between them.

If I have plenty of time and the clients are comfortable in front of cameras, then there is a lot better chance for creative photos.

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:35 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · what are your thoughts when creative?

There's no specific thought process for me, but like Tony said I know what the shot is going to look like before I take it. There is not a formula for me or a checklist, every couple, every shoot and every location is different so we spend a few minutes 'warming up' with the clients to get a sense for how to best proceed and what sort of things are going to work with them and then we go from there.

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #9 · what are your thoughts when creative?

"Don't screw this up. Don't screw this up. Don't screw this up"

Rinse. Repeat.

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:43 PM
asparkes
• • •
p.1 #10 · what are your thoughts when creative?

Creative ADD here.
"oh light ..."
"oh symmetry!"
"Oh shiny..."

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · what are your thoughts when creative?

Tagging this thread in hopes that I find some creativity. Who am I kidding? I can barely spell the word...

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #12 · what are your thoughts when creative?

I don't worry about creativity as much as I do about good light and good, complimentary photos that tell the story or evoke the emotion I want. Everything else comes from gut/instinct.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:28 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #13 · what are your thoughts when creative?

I would like to think that I will one day be very creative...but most of the time, I don't think I am. Granted, I tend to judge my level of creativity against those who excel at pushing the envelope, so it is a steep slope I am trudging against.

That being said, though...I would trade creativity any day of the week for a better sense of moments and getting the most out of my subjects.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:38 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · what are your thoughts when creative?

Here's a few things I try to keep in mind when I'm shooting. I take note of my position/angle/perspective... if I'm doing what anyone who picks up a camera would do, I move or do something different.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:13 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #15 · what are your thoughts when creative?

My before-the-wedding thoughts: I hope she's not too big, I hope she's not self conscious, I hope she's not too picky, I hope she likes to have fun, I hope she brought a pair of walking shoes.

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:16 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · what are your thoughts when creative?

What Tony said.

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:41 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · what are your thoughts when creative?

form wrote:
My before-the-wedding thoughts: I hope she's not too big, I hope she's not self conscious, I hope she's not too picky, I hope she likes to have fun, I hope she brought a pair of walking shoes.

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:42 AM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · what are your thoughts when creative?

TTLKurtis wrote:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/LOST_4ever_Kate/random/debbie-downer.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:39 AM
DannyBostwick
• •
p.1 #19 · what are your thoughts when creative?

A mix between Tony & Reichman. There's days where I'm feeling it and I can see everything perfectly what seems like minutes before it happens. There's days where my mind isn't there and I just look through the camera and hope something cool pops into frame.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:54 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password