Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Any lightweight laptop for editing that can output displa...

eyal.ma

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any lightweight laptop for editing that can output displayport?

I'm looking for a laptop for mobility (low weight), which can connect to my dell 27" monitors when I'm at home.
My desktop is powering two of those with 2560x1440 monitors, and I want a laptop that can connect to them as well.

So far that I know, the MBP 13 or 15 can do so (with the DP->miniDP cable).
My only option in this case is ordering one from the US and have it shipped to where I live, as the local costs are just too damn high (insert meme.jpeg).

Any actual windows base laptop that can do the same, or is it just a lost cause?
I don't want to buy a laptop that weight 4-5kg just to get the displayport. Only one I have seen is the UX51VZ, which when configured to similar rMBP 15, it pretty much cost the same.

Any ideas? Thoughts?
Thanks.

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:02 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any lightweight laptop for editing that can output displayport?

I doubt that the two thunderbolt/display ports on the rMBP can each feed more than one monitor. As far as I know from what I recall reading, the thunderbolt monitors do not pass graphics data on to another monitor.

The graphics card in pre-retina macs could support colour profiles for two independent monitors but not three. In the case of laptops, one would be the built-in monitor and the other would be an external monitor. I doubt that the rMBP graphics card can support three monitors.

On the plus side, if you had an rMBP then you might be happy enough with the retina screen.

There is a USB monitor cable and software that can let you drive extra monitors from a usb port but I don't think it can handle the resolution of your Dell monitors. OWC sell it.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any lightweight laptop for editing that can output displayport?

You can run 3 monitors from a current MBP and 2 from an Air using Thunderbolt.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/new-macbooks-can-manage-many-many-monitors/

I'd advise against driving 2 externals with an Air though -- heats up very fast.

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:07 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any lightweight laptop for editing that can output displayport?

take a look at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP900X4C-A03US-15-Inch-Ultrabook/dp/B0082PZ1JU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366909187&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+laptop+series+9

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:02 PM
eyal.ma

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any lightweight laptop for editing that can output displayport?

Thanks mshi.

I was looking at the samsung 9, I could not find someone who was able to run 2560x1440 over the HDMI. It seems that their HDMI on the 9 series is 1.4 at best, and not 1.4a.
I know the HP XPS has mini displayport, and the spectre/xt has a thunderbolt connector on the higher versions(though the 15 version weight about 2.5lbs).
I know there is also the asus ux51vz, but the ones I could fine and with decent specs (at least 8gb with a decent size ssd) would cost almost as much as the rMBP 15, so I don't know if its best get the asus over the rMBP.

Alan321, the MBP of at least the two last versions, can run two monitors with DP->mini DP on the two thunderbolt connections. I have seen it work at the local apple store with the mid-2012 version.
The USB->DP does not work well with 2560x1440, which is the reason I need a HDMI 1.4a or DP/miniDP/thunderbolt connection.

I just want to note something while looking for the right notebook:
My lazy 6 years old HP 2540p has a DP connection... and its a royalty free standard... and more and more monitors come out with DP... that I fail understand why they don't add at least one mini DP on higher value ultrabooks...

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password