I like this.

Thanks Ben.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

Hey Jim,

I am thinking that Ben needs to put his glasses on.

You have a fine composition here, but the sky is full of blown out clouds, the shot is quite a bit over sharpened, and the WB is off, so I am not sure why Ben said he liked it as it has some real obvious issues. Maybe he was viewing it while on the road?

I am guessing that you must be editing on your laptop on the road? You probably need to do a quick generic calibration on it, though in general it's hard to edit with laptop displays. I have a Dell that I use on the road, and it's display is right on the money, but it's pretty rare for that.

I hope that helps.

Jim

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:24 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

JimFox wrote:
Hey Jim,

I am thinking that Ben needs to put his glasses on.

You have a fine composition here, but the sky is full of blown out clouds, the shot is quite a bit over sharpened, and the WB is off, so I am not sure why Ben said he liked it as it has some real obvious issues. Maybe he was viewing it while on the road?

I am guessing that you must be editing on your laptop on the road? You probably need to do a quick generic calibration on it, though in general it's hard to edit with laptop
...Show more

Thanks Jim, that is helpful. Yes on the lap top and The image displayed here looks nothing like the one on my screen. Thanks, Jim

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:48 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

Jim, while Jim is right, it is still a very nice shot, composition-wise IMHO.

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:54 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

philber wrote:
Jim, while Jim is right, it is still a very nice shot, composition-wise IMHO.

Thank you. PP is my nemesis. Jim

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:54 AM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

I like this composition too. Is this near the start of the Wildcat trail? If so, I think I recognize that tree. I ran that trail around the mitten in July of last year and that tree was the only shade I could find to cool off for a few minutes! Such an amazing place!

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:49 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

astrodave wrote:
I like this composition too. Is this near the start of the Wildcat trail? If so, I think I recognize that tree. I ran that trail around the mitten in July of last year and that tree was the only shade I could find to cool off for a few minutes! Such an amazing place!

That's the one. I could not imagine being in the park in July, although I understand there are more clouds. Thank you, Jim

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:17 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

I keep my monitor at 80cd/mm^2, pretty dark (calibrated for printing). It also does not display sRGB well. So I look at the scene and not the processing for web. My images look far different on my screen or in a print than when downsized for web.

So my comments are for the scene. What I saw on a NEC 26090 was a different view of MV that was obviously mid day but the clouds don't look blown on my rig.

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:33 AM
Bert DeMars
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

Nice comp, might try cropping out most of the foreground dirt, it distracts from the theme of the picture. My two cents worth.

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:54 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

Lovely shot. It makes me wanna go there again....

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

Bert DeMars wrote:
Nice comp, might try cropping out most of the foreground dirt, it distracts from the theme of the picture. My two cents worth.

Thank you Bert.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

Hey Jim,

The edit looks much better, nice work with it. I like the cropped version the best, I don't think the extra sand at the bottom of #1 adds anything to the shot.

Jim

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

Gregg B. wrote:
Lovely shot. It makes me wanna go there again....

Thanks Gregg. This is my first time here but, God willing, it will not be my last. I need to see the monsoon season, and a snow covered valley floor. Jim

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:42 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

JimFox wrote:
Hey Jim,

The edit looks much better, nice work with it. I like the cropped version the best, I don't think the extra sand at the bottom of #1 adds anything to the shot.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I try but frequently miss the mark. Once somebody, like yourself. points out the flaws I can usually improve. I am having to process, on my computer, nearly a neutral contrast image, desaturated, and no sharpening. Jim

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:46 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

Don't know why you bothered to show us the first one when the cropped version is clearly the one.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:02 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

Jeffrey wrote:
Don't know why you bothered to show us the first one when the cropped version is clearly the one.

Thank you. The crop was recommended and helped the composition tremendously. Jim

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:38 PM
Mashuto
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

The crop is definitely the better of the two. While I tend to lean more towards brighter punchier more saturated shots, I think you have perfectly captured the mood with this one, feels like its right out of an old timey western.

I also dont see any blown out clouds, unless of course you already went back and re-edited it and are showing just updated versions.

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:08 PM
azbill
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zeiss Does Monument Valley

Very nice image.

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.