New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Monopod and head recommendation

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monopod and head recommendation

I have a monopod I really like, but the head stinks and it cannot be replaced.

So, I would like a recommendation for a decent monopod and a separate head for it.

I usually have a D600 with grip and a 70-200 VRII on it. I would also like a head that I can use on the tripod and the monopod.

I tried out a Monfrotto 685B monopod today - it is the one with the grip release. I like the concept of the grip release for extending or collapsing the Monopod, but I'm wondering if they work well in the field.

The head I tried was the Monfrotto M9 head which seemed pretty good, but I didn't have much to compare to.

Thanks for any help on this.

B

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monopod and head recommendation

The Manfrotto Neo-tec (685B) works very well in the field, on the streets, and in the theatre. Unfortunately, it's relatively heavy and long when closed, and so it's not so good for travel.

I generally use different types of heads on my monopods than on my tripods. I use the RRS MH-01 head on my Neo-tec and Feisol CM-1471 Rapid monopods, and I use the simple Manfrotto 3232 head on my good old, lightweight 676B Digi monopod.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:01 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monopod and head recommendation

If you're using arca-swiss, I have really liked my Sunwayfoto monopod head. It has a discal clamp that allows me to rotate the clamp so when I'm using my longer lens with a foot it rotates the right way (since the foot and the camera body run in different directions).

Have a look at my review:
http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2012/07/22/sunwayfoto-ddh-02-and-dt-01-review/

Apr 28, 2013 at 03:33 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monopod and head recommendation

I too use the Sunwayfoto DDH-02 but with the DDH-03 panning clamp. Amazingly smooth on both axis and I can instantly switch between side and front mount plates. I almost bought the RRS MH-01 head but didn't like that a hex wrench is needed to rotate the clamp. Of course you can buy the RRS tilt head only and install a panning clamp. The RRS head without clamp is only $30 more than the Sunwayfoto DDH-01 head (no clamp model).

I used the Manfrotto tilt head for years and it is truly terrible.

Apr 28, 2013 at 03:49 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monopod and head recommendation

Dang... I already bought the RRS MH-01 with their pro II clamp. It's on the way. It will be a big improvement for me, but Sunwayfoto looks really good too.

b

Apr 28, 2013 at 03:53 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.