Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Monte Rosa, Liskamm, Castor, Pollux & Mattehorn

Dreampusher
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monte Rosa, Liskamm, Castor, Pollux & Mattehorn

Hi,

Another shot from an extremely windy day in temperatures around -20C (-4F)
There was so much snow in the air, I never managed to get a clear sky.
I tried to get a clean sky in post, but that would seem to imply that I need to repaint the whole sky.

Based on some input from Jim Fox in another post, I tried to remove the blue reflection from the sky in the snow.
I'm posting the original version #1 which has the bluish reflection and #2, which is whiter.

Since it's a stitch of a dozen shots, I read some guidelines somewhere advising to post a 600px high image and let the width go.

Your preference like any comment are welcome.

Thanks

Hugues

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:31 PM
savingspaces
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monte Rosa, Liskamm, Castor, Pollux & Mattehorn

Very cool shots! It feels cold just looking at them!

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:45 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monte Rosa, Liskamm, Castor, Pollux & Mattehorn

Hey Hugues,

It's interesting to see both versions here. Now with this scene, unless my memory is failing me, the snow in #1 does not seem as blue as it did in your previous thread. Now it could be, and it's nice to seee the comparison, but I think the snow now in your #2 is too white, you do want to leave a bit of blue cast in it.

Your sizing is great here for the panos. It sure must have been windy there.

Jim

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:36 PM
lanierb

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monte Rosa, Liskamm, Castor, Pollux & Mattehorn

I like #2. There's something that looks like a strong halo over the mountains. Is that an artifact of post processing or is it just blowing snow? It seems too even to be blowing snow but not sure. In any case I find it a bit distracting.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:58 PM
Dreampusher
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monte Rosa, Liskamm, Castor, Pollux & Mattehorn

lanierb, yes the halo is the backlit snow being blown up by the wind. With a longer lens it becomes more obvious.
cf, images below.

Jim, your comment about the blue cast hit a nerve. I honestly never paid real attention to this.
Also in summer time, of big chunk of this landscape are glaciers and are naturally blue, but not in winter obviously.
I went back to all my recent winter time photos to experiment a bit. Results are very interesting and finding the right balance is indeed not trivial.
Except for the snow flakes around the sun, I originally thought I had nothing to complain about #1, until seeing it with a whiter look. I tend to agree, it might be too white now.
I'll play more with #2. Thanks for the discovery. At least I'm now conscious about the concept.

Your memory looks fine too. Here's the photo from the original post, #3, and the whiter experiment #4
Here I believe, the slight blue cast remains

Thanks

Hugues

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:37 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password