Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 & USB dock price and availability

Steven Campbel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 & USB dock price and availability

I'm waiting to see some reviews of this lens also. Sigma looks like they have a winner on thier hands with thier new 35 1.4 that is selling much cheaper new than the Canon 35L 1.4 sells for used. Of course a lens used for sports, birds etc will have to meet other performance criteria that a 35mm lens doesn't neccesarily need. Right now there aren't alot of options in the 300mm 2.8 range. The Canon 300 2.8 looks to be the gold standard, but the current version is very expensive and the version I is still selling for around or more on the used market, often for a 10 year old lens with wear, than this new, fully warrantied Sigma is selling for new. Should make things interesting if it's good. As for weight, that may be the drawback, as it is reported to be over 7 pounds, making the Canon 300 2.8 lighter.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 & USB dock price and availability

Steven Campbel wrote:
. Right now there aren't alot of options in the 300mm 2.8 range. The Canon 300 2.8 looks to be the gold standard, but the current version is very expensive and the version I is still selling for around or more on the used market, often for a 10 year old lens with wear, than this new, fully warrantied Sigma is selling for new. Should make things interesting if it's good. As for weight, that may be the drawback, as it is reported to be over 7 pounds, making the Canon 300 2.8 lighter.

Steven, yep in the fast 300 range there are as you say few options .
The 300/2.8 mk2 would the top of my list followed by the mk1 . But I picked my 120-300 OS up used for a song and its a great lens . I'm not sure i would consider paying the 3500 for the new one though. But as you say the price of a half decent mk1 on the used market has got a tad silly . Not long ago I was seeing very decent ones for just over 2k with the very good ones getting to 3.5 . Now though I havnt seen any for less than 3k

As for the size and weight of the sigma the current one is 3kilo(the new one won't be any less) and its long .

Put it this way I've never held a 500/4 but having used this lens I doubt I would be that surprised by the 500/4's size

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:58 PM
jasonsim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 & USB dock price and availability

Does anyone know if the using the USB dock with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 lens can be AF adjusted for different cameras?

Thanks,
Jason

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:11 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 & USB dock price and availability

jasonsim wrote:
Does anyone know if the using the USB dock with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 lens can be AF adjusted for different cameras?

Thanks,
Jason

I doubt it . Your doing all that stuff without a camera being present . From what I can see in the video you need to make the adjustments and then go test on camera and the go back and re adjust. Now in theory the software could hold more than one calibration file for the lens which you could install onto the lens . But that's just in theory and of course you would have to have dock the lens before you mounted it on a different camera .

But I guess if you could get the lens totally spot on for one body (with the body MA turned off or set to zero) then I doubt there would be anything stopping you MA the lens on a different body as long as the firmware in the lens was kept to what the 1st camera needed . That way you should (I stress should) get a consistent MA reading thru the range on the 2nd camera .

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:27 PM
jasonsim
• • •
p.2 #5 · Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 & USB dock price and availability

yep...just asking because the Sigma 35 on my 5D III is a +7 and on my 1Dx +20 ( and still the AF is not perfectly centered). Using LensAlign Pro.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 & USB dock price and availability

OntheRez wrote:
I almost bit on the prior version of this lens as it was an attractive package. This looks even better. Hopefully "street price" will drop some. And I have to echo the sentiments about Canon's new lens pricing. Not sure who they think can afford to pay such prices particularly in a still basically stuffed up world economy. The 70-200 (a great lens) has been my "bring home the bacon" lens for sports, but there has been many a time I really needed 300mm. The 300mm f/2.8 prime lacks flexibility for sports and I still need both my lungs
...Show more
Some folks do well on a single lung, and you do have a pair of kidneys while you only need one.
Disclaimer: Please read. This post is not meant as advice, medical, financial, or otherwise. Do not take it seriously. If you do take it seriously, you do so at your own risk.

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Billphysics
• •
p.2 #7 · Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 & USB dock price and availability

I had the older 120-300 and it was great on static or slow moving objects, but not so good on faster ones. I moved to the Canon Mark I and it just focuses faster on BIF and soccer players. My guess was that the 120-300 had to move more glass than the straight 300.

My two cents worth.

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 & USB dock price and availability

runamuck wrote:
Some folks do well on a single lung, and you do have a pair of kidneys while you only need one.
Disclaimer: Please read. This post is not meant as advice, medical, financial, or otherwise. Do not take it seriously. If you do take it seriously, you do so at your own risk.

I can just see the eBay ad now: "Will trade lung for new 300mm f/2.8L II. H*ll might as well go for a 600 while I'm at it. As noted above, if you do anything based solely upon on information gleaned from the Internet, you need your head examined!!

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Mark K
• •
p.2 #9 · Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 & USB dock price and availability

The newer ART version is a beauty. However, I stopped myself and did some homework. There are tons of reasons to buy the prime. First and the very important while we use this lens, the 300/2.8 long end is a must. However, because of focal length breathing, we are likely to have only 265mm to the most instead of the 300mm. So mounting on my 5DIII, it becomes only a 500/5.6 with TC attached. I guess the older 500/4.5 can do much better.

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:52 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password