Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

Makten wrote:
Try shooting fewer frames instead.

I definitely take my time more with the D800, but sometimes you can't help it. Like birds in flight, the FPS would help. I think I'm just going to be patient and save my money. I think I have a case of NAS. Sometimes its just fun to buy new toys lol

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:51 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

if you are looking to spend some money buy some really nice glass. then when the "feel" wears off you can sell it without a loss.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Defy
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

I have found the trick to the D800 is to be diligent about only keeping good shots. With my D700 (still have it as gripped it has 8+ fps) I kept every photo no matter what. So I have a couple TB's of D700 shots over 2-3 years. So I started to do the same thing with my D800, I had a 1 TB in like 2 months O.o . So I watched a video on Kelby training about Kelby's LR workflow and it really helped me get better at just keeping the ones I'll actually use. But I still can't walk away from a shoot with less than 4-5gb's of keepers and always fill 2-16gb CF cards sometimes bleeding over into the 32gb SD I leave in the camera for backups.

In short keep the D800 and adjust your workflow.

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:22 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

BenV wrote:
I've been using the D800 for the better part of a year now. Spectacular camera. But I'm starting to think it's too much. Hoping someone could talk me out of 'downgrading' to a D700. I don't need (or want) 36mp files, but I got to admit, for wildlife, the cropping ability is great. The autofocus is great, no complaints. And the dynamic range really helps. But other than that, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to sell the camera and go back. I figure I could free up about $1000, and use that towards more glass. So really, I'm
...Show more

Your not crazy at all. The D700 is still an awesome camera. I thought about getting a D800, but I just don't need 36mp, plus I can't bring my self to sell the D700.

If you really don't need the 36mp then go for it and get the D700 and get more glass.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:34 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

After seeing and reading the D800E thread, you'd be hard pressed to pry that out of my hand file sizes notwithstanding. I'm seeing these on a 32" monitor here, and it feels as though they are 3D.. The guy's post with pictures of RAMS, and what appear to be Arizona red rocks... Speechless.

Shy of being a medium format, I don't think I've seen images of that caliber.. ever. And even with a MF, I don't think they've been that exciting with as much depth and range.

I DO realize that the post work has a lot to do with it. as some people's images are just........ Flat. Others really pop. So I wouldn't trade down for anything. If it had a higher frame rate, I'd been all over that body.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:40 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

There ARE some pro's and cons to weigh in...

I'd never go to a D700 again. If anything, I'd take a used D3s, if I felt image size and fps was bothersome with the D800 (which I never have done). I can't actually think of even ONE point where the D700 was better than our D800's

Playing the devil's advocate from that starting point, what are the plus sides of the D3s vs D800?
*Better speed, in both fps and response
*From ISO800 and up, DR is actually similar/same. The noticeable difference towards D800 starts at ~ISO640 and down
*If the image output sizes you need never get to 8MP+, the D3s is just fine for resolution
*Better color quality (than D800) from ISO6400 and on up

Negative points?
*heavier
*not even close in image quality at low ISO, if you need shadow detail.
*less crop-ability should you ever need it

In the end, it's your choice. But I think I would be disappointed going back to the D700 right now. Given the extra functionality and speed of the D3s - if the need was there, I'd do it.

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:23 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Try downsampling your images to 12MP for a little while. The file sizes out of camera will still be large, but then they'll shrink and I think you'll find that the detail and richness of color from the downsampled D800 stomps all over the D700.

And once in a while, when you need to shoot large so you can print large, you'll thank those 36MP for saving your bacon.

+1

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:35 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

The one thing keeping me from back treading to the D700 (which I really liked) is the dynamic range of the D800. Coupled with the shadow/highlight sliders of LR4, the results are beyond comparison....

Apr 24, 2013 at 07:34 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

ariel777 wrote:
The one thing keeping me from back treading to the D700 (which I really liked) is the dynamic range of the D800. Coupled with the shadow/highlight sliders of LR4, the results are beyond comparison....

that's pretty much exactly why I'm having a hard time. I guess I'll just keep savings my money. I have pretty much every lens I 'need', just not every lens I want hoping to get the Sigma 120-300 asap. Then at least I won't have this free money sitting around tempting me to do crazy things.

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:21 PM
cebseb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

BenV wrote:
That's what I was thinking. Smaller files, pro-body, dual CF slots, faster FPS, much better battery life. But less cropping and a bit more expensive. But I'm not sold on on downgrading the DR.

Hmm. I think you won't miss the DR much after seeing the kind of files you can get from 25k ISO on the D3s.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

I got rid of my D700 and lenses last year to try micro 4/3 and other mirrorless. Big mistake and another story. Fast forward to a few months ago and I had to decide on a D700 or D800/E. I knew the D800 would task my computer too much and felt the money was better spent on lenses. I really, really wanted to get the D800, but in the end, I felt with my experience level, the D700 was still plenty good for me at this point.

I say, if you already have the D800, just adjust your workflow as others have stated and enjoy it.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

Unless you need the D700 + grip frameate yes, you are crazy For me, if you put a lot of effort into your photography and getting great pictures why not have them in the best resolution and with the best DR you can? $1000 doesn’t go far with lenses these days.

On the file size issue I have an old PC and it doesn’t hugely bother me. I cull in photomechanic (almost instant previews from RAW) then export the best into LR. Anything else then gets deleted. PCs are getting faster all the time, we’ve had 22MP cameras for many years and the D800 is unlikely to get replaced for 4 years at which point PCs will be even faster and storage even cheaper.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:57 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

cebseb wrote:
Hmm. I think you won't miss the DR much after seeing the kind of files you can get from 25k ISO on the D3s.

That's one thing I was thinking. But really when I get to it. 99% of my photos are less than 1000iso. So DR is more important to me than high iso.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

Mark_L wrote:
Unless you need the D700 + grip frameate yes, you are crazy For me, if you put a lot of effort into your photography and getting great pictures why not have them in the best resolution and with the best DR you can? $1000 doesn’t go far with lenses these days.

On the file size issue I have an old PC and it doesn’t hugely bother me. I cull in photomechanic (almost instant previews from RAW) then export the best into LR. Anything else then gets deleted. PCs are getting faster all the time, we’ve had 22MP cameras for many
...Show more

Yeah, $1000 is still $2500 short of my next lens (Sigma 120-300), so I'll just hold onto the D800. Maybe in a year or two when I can find a D4 for around $3500 I'll just pick one up. Until then I'll just keep perfecting my technique with the D800. It really is a spectacular camera. I know most people say its the photographer that uses the gear, but this camera has really improved my photography.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

Ben, you've made the right decision. I find it best not to make a kit adjustment unless there is a clearly defined need. So often I've made a "rash decision and found it cost more money and problems than I'd expected--and a few months later I was back considering changes.

The D4 is a wonderful camera and I enjoy the file size. Hope you can get one down the road, just not mine.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

I think the 800 has a specific use. I had one for a month and could not deal with it. I recognize it is an amazing camera but for what I do, it is overkill and unforgiving. I ended up with a d4 almost a d3s.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

Jorge Torralba wrote:
I think the 800 has a specific use. I had one for a month and could not deal with it. I recognize it is an amazing camera but for what I do, it is overkill and unforgiving. I ended up with a d4 almost a d3s.

Ditto.Went back to the D700 after a trial run on the 800, though also almost had a D3s instead.

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:20 PM
cbrandt
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

So your shooting birds in flight with a good keeper rate on the D800 ?? from everything I hear, it's sloooooooooooooooow .. a fantastic landscape . architecture camera and unforgiving as a portrait camera .....

i shoot the d300s and d700 sometimes / I'd say it's practically brand new after 2 years ...... full frame for wildlife sucks as far as I'm concerned unless your right up on top of your subject, but if that were the case I'd be able to get rid of my nikon 600 and the tc's .......

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:26 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

I have found the D600 files perfect, but yet the camera is not a D700/800 in terms of its functionality. The higher end bodies just work faster and more precisely. So, if its a choice based in the cam. and not needing the file size, the D700 would be my choice… it is. I don't have a D800 and have decided that unless I suddenly start shooting landscape professionally, it won't be a camera I will own. D4 perhaps..?

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:41 PM
20four80five
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Am I crazy? D800 -> D700...

Edited on Mar 03, 2014 at 02:47 PM · View previous versions

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:45 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.