Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

I keep coming back to the idea that an arca clamp on a strap is about the most convenient way to carry gear. It lets you relocate the strap to the best hanging point (on the camera, on the lens, moving along the plate to get a better balance, etc.) and is the most universal if, like me, you have arca plates on just about everything.

Of course, my concern is that the mechanism can become unscrewed and get loose. However, I've spent quite a while combing Google, and the only references to this that I've found are people saying, "don't do it, it could come loose" and not one single reference to, "I did this, and it came loose."

Those of you using arca clamps on your straps, what are your experiences? How long have you been doing it? Are you compulsive about checking the tightness of the clamp all the time, or do you just tighten and ignore it? What size lenses do you usually hang from the strap/camera? Ever had one come loose?

I'm giving the Custom SLR C-loop a shot, which I think will be great for attaching the strap to the camera... but not as great for hanging a lens, since my lenses all have plates on them, and the tripod mount hole is inevitably off-center.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

I personally wouldn't like to do that. I do carry heavyish lenses on a monopod and let the camera hang off the end over my shoulder with a screw type A/S clamp, but there's very little chance of accidentally

Many A/S plates have an additional tripod screw location, so if I were using a rapid strap on a clamp, I'd just use the screw and screw it into your A/S plate if you have that extra screw hole.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

See, I guess that's exactly what I was talking about. "I wouldn't think that was safe."

There's about a billion posts out there saying that exact same thing, and my gut instinct mirrored it, but I've yet to find a user of this style of carrying (e.g. the Kirk Security Strap customers) that has actually experienced a problem. I would think someone, somewhere would have said "my experience is..." if they had let a couple grand or more in gear hit the deck.

I sling my tripod over my shoulder without checking the clamp all the time...

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:01 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

BV,

I have been doing just this for a year now and the clamp is as tight as ever. I actually have two clamps on my blackrapid strap: one for the AS lens foot and one for the camera's AS plate. I did this so that if the camera and lens ever become detached, each has a connection to the strap. I have carried a 600/4 lens for several miles this way and the clamp remained secure. I do, however, check the clamp's tightness periodically during usage.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:04 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

I think one good thing about the A/S system, especially with a screw-type clamp, is that if it starts to loosen, you'll have the plate slide a bit first. If you have the failsafe stops on the clamp or plate, that require you to completely undo the clamp to release it, rather than slide the dovetail out, then you'd feel the lens/camera shift in the clamp before it became loose enough to pop out.

I would NOT use a RRS lever clamp for this purpose, though.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:22 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

binary visions wrote:
Those of you using arca clamps on your straps, what are your experiences? How long have you been doing it? Are you compulsive about checking the tightness of the clamp all the time, or do you just tighten and ignore it? What size lenses do you usually hang from the strap/camera? Ever had one come loose?

I've been using the Kirk 1" clamp for a while now and when it's tightened down it takes a deliberate effort to loosen it. For the first few times I was a bit nervous using it but after a while you just learn to trust it. I usually orient the knob towards the front of the camera thinking it's a bit more out of the way and therefore safer, but it probably doesn't matter either way.

I don't use the clamp much for longer lenses, but that's just because I don't want that much weight hanging off my neck and shoulders.

RRS has a new clamp specifically designed for use with a strap. It's wider than the Kirk and has three lugs for attaching straps. It's more money than the Kirk but it gives you more mounting options.

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fmkjr19

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

This is the set-up I use with my RRS L bracket and R-Strap. I have used this for over a hear and many events, portrait sessions, and weddings.

http://vimeo.com/61254356]http://vimeo.com/61254356[/url]

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

Strobo wrote:
I've been using the Kirk 1" clamp for a while now and when it's tightened down it takes a deliberate effort to loosen it. For the first few times I was a bit nervous using it but after a while you just learn to trust it. I usually orient the knob towards the front of the camera thinking it's a bit more out of the way and therefore safer, but it probably doesn't matter either way.

I don't use the clamp much for longer lenses, but that's just because I don't want that much weight hanging off my neck and shoulders.

RRS
...Show more

Love that Kirk clamp. Use it on a table top tripod: really easy to grip and turn the knob. The jaw movement is silky smooth and almost too easy to tighten/loosen. It's so smooth and easy I'd be paranoid about rubbing it against something if used on a strap. The Sunwayfoto DDC-26 (sold at Amazon and Ebay) is the same size but has more resistance in the jaw screw and has grooves for safety screws (the Kirk doesn't). Might be a safer bet for strap duty.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

I'm using the AS clamp system from RRS and their L bracket. I echo your concern about the clamp coming loose even though I have yet to experience or read about it.

Call me paranoid but my solution, though not perfect, is to use a BosTail as a secondary or redundant attachment point. If for some reason the clamp did loosen and slide off, the BosTail (attached to the L bracket and the sling strap carabiner) would still be attached.

I'm in no way affiliated with this company. http://www.bosstrap.com/bostail.aspx

Roger

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:43 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

Roger - I had been considering adding a small tether, and that strap (website is down but B&H sells them) looks like it might be a good solution. Or I may just cheap out and get some climbing cord from the local sporting goods store

So... I guess nobody's even had a friend's third cousin's ex-girlfriend's brother who actually dropped their gear using this method?

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

Love that Kirk clamp. Use it on a table top tripod: really easy to grip and turn the knob. The jaw movement is silky smooth and almost too easy to tighten/loosen. It's so smooth and easy I'd be paranoid about rubbing it against something if used on a strap. The Sunwayfoto DDC-26 (sold at Amazon and Ebay) is the same size but has more resistance in the jaw screw and has grooves for safety screws (the Kirk doesn't). Might be a safer bet for strap duty.

I have Arca, Foba, and Sunwayfoto clamps as well as the Kirk. Out of all of them the Kirk takes the most effort to loosen. There's a thick red fiber gasket on mine between the knob and the clamp and I think that's the reason why. It acts as a lockwasher and it takes a bit of initial effort to overcome the friction. If yours doesn't have the washer that might explain the differences between mine and yours. Either way, like you say a clamp that can accommodate the safety screws is probably the best option.

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:15 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Using an Arca Swiss clamp on a camera strap?

I always feel like I'm spamming these threads, but that isn't my intention. I'm amazed at how many people struggle with this issue and there isn't a company I've been using a Kirk clamp at the end of my Black Rapid RS-7 for nearly two years of fairly heavy use now.

I find it quicker and more convenient than the "stock" setup. I've added a safety tether from the D-ring of the strap to the bracket on the camera just in case (A) I'm clumsy or (B) something fails/loosens at the clamp/FastenR/carbiner/carbiner swivel. "A" is more likely than "B", but it is piece of mind and cheap insurance.

wp_20130411_002 by e24mpwr, on Flickr

Writeup here:
http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2011/12/20/black-rapid-arca-solution/

Apr 28, 2013 at 08:25 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password