Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Untitled

Anurag
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Untitled

Don't know what to call this one. But it was pitch dark outside and handheld for 1/2 second hence the little ghosts everywhere. Any overall recommendations? Suggestions to get rid of the ghosts especially around the seat would be much appreciated from the editing gurus

ISO1600, 50mm, f/1.4, 1/2 sec handheld.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM
silvawispa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Untitled

Some careful work with a clone stamp will fix those ghosts.
I reckon it's 10-15 minutes of fairly painstaking close up work.
I can't think of a simple and easy way of getting rid of them otherwise.

Oh, and if you're going to do many of these, use a bloomin' tripod, it's so much easier than photoshop

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Anurag
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Untitled

Thank you Silva

I was at the beach and it was a spur of the moment thing - the bike looked cool the way it was sitting under the lightbulb.

I don't have a tripod but after 4 such spur of the moment shots at night, I feel I will need to invest in one =/

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:15 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Untitled

You could take longer to be fussy on a full-sized version, but for this size, less than 2 minutes with the clone stamp:

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:28 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Untitled

... Plus noise reduction, USM at 16, 60, 0 to bump mid-tones and a little smart sharpening and clone stamped a bit of fender glow missed in the first version:

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:34 PM
Anurag
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Untitled

You, sir, are a magician. I tried for quite a bit of time in lightroom and could not get anywhere close to that. Thank you

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:27 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Untitled

FWIW, the following old vid shows using the clone stamp for a different but not too dissimilar purpose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6lqcc0ZnyE

Apr 24, 2013 at 07:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Untitled

I like how the content in this one pulls the eye from the bike to the figure in the shadows in the background creating a more interesting story that just seeing the bike alone. Initially all attention is on the bike which is quite literally in the spotlight, then after some delay the figure in the shadow is noticed.

The tonal range in the conversion is has a full range with open shadows which invite the viewer to dwell there and soak in the details. That increased the delay in finding the figure in the background.

In visual narratives the focal points are like the notes in music and time spend dwelling on details are spaces between them that create the rhythm. Another analogy is timing in delivering the "punchline" in a joke; timing makes a difference. If the bike wasn't in the spotlight and so interesting there wouldn't be as much of a delay in finding the figure. If the bike and figure were equally interesting the viewer might ping-pong between them rather than dwell on one, then the other.

Here the delay in noticing the figure creates an "Easter Egg" hidden reward the viewer doesn't expect at first glance. I didn't even notice the figure in the background until my conscious attention shifted from thinking about the bike to explore the rest of the frame. But once I found the mysterious figure in the background I started wondering about the connection with the bike and the person in the background was thinking about. Was it the adventure they had been on that day with the bike, or the one they were planning for the next morning? It added a nice second layer to the story beyond "neat bike, well lit and captured". If you are looking for a title for this one I'd suggest:

"At rest contemplating tomorrow's adventures"

That applies to the bike and the figure in the background. Putting two elements together like this to tell a more interesting story in a single still photo well isn't easy and you've done an excellent job here. To the extent it has any technical flaws I don't think they get in the way of delivering the story. To the contrary the slight ghosting adds to the character and matches the context of the scene.

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Untitled

+1 @ much of Chuck.
Nice job Karen.

For me, the figure may very well be the rider who has just finished a day of adventure, now transitioning to a more mellow time of day.

The tonal ranges are lovely ... although I'd edit those bright rings and maybe tone down the "flashlight" by the figure and also that little "stub" of brightness just left of the bike. I get Chuck's point @ ghosting/mood, but I do prefer it with the ghosting corrected (at least on the bike). For me, the ghosting creates the mysterious mood that Chuck mentions, but I'm inclined to take it toward the end of the joyous riding day, ready for more tomorrow. Interesting how different a mood/message can be rendered by such a small thing. Just depends on the message you want to send to your viewer as to which what to go with things (i.e. all things @ S&P to taste).

Very nicely done for handheld ... very nicely done, period. This is one you can linger in and take a stroll through, never really getting tired of exploring/enjoying it. Wall hanger (investing the effort for technical issues) for sure, it is timeless, classic and quite serenely beautiful with a hint of adventure.

Very nice.

My title:

Wondrous Day Today: Another One Comes Tomorrow
(or some more eloquent way of conveying that message)

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Beabs

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Untitled

I thought you were applying an orton affect on the bike when I first seen the image. That being said, have you considered working with the ghosting to get a different affect? The ghosting doesn't bother me as much at the hot spot by the person and the white circles above the railing.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Anurag
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Untitled

Thanks everyone for the remarks and kind words. Beabs can you explain what you mean by working to get a different affect?

The bright spot by the girl was her cell phone and the spots on the left were lights from a building in the distance. They bothered me a bit as well so I cloned them out and tried to make the area look like another tree.

I was hoping to enter it into the weekly assignment, bikes but wasn't sure if it was good enough to be placed amongst all the amazing entries. I'll give it a whack anyways.

NIKON D800    Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 ZF.2 lens    50mm    f/1.4    1/2s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 27, 2013 at 03:24 AM
Beabs

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Untitled

Hi again. What I meant was to try to make it with an orton, use the ghosting as part of the image. That's were you take a sharp overexposed shot and superimpose an out of focus shot on top of it. It gives you a soft halo to your image. Google orton effect and they have many examples and instructions.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Untitled

Looks like your off to a good start on the WA voting (but it's a long week ) ... nicely edited for the WA submission.

May 01, 2013 at 02:19 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password