New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Panny G5 v Rebels

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panny G5 v Rebels

I know this is not entirely a Canon question but as it is a comparison to a Canon I hope it will do. Personal usage is so much better for opinion than reviews.

There are some super deals on Panasonic Lumix G5 kits now, for those who have experience how does the IQ hold up against the Canon 18 meg crop sensors and cameras like the G1X?

Thanks

David

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:00 AM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panny G5 v Rebels

While I don't have a crop sensor to compare it to, I can say I'm VERY happy with my G5, particularly paired with the 12-35 F2.8. Recently went to Santa Cruz Boardwalk with only that combo, and the pictures were pretty amazing. Particularly in light of the fact that I didn't have to carry my 5D3/24-105 all day! I haven't tried to enlarge and print any of the images so I can't say how they hold up in that respect, but for a lightweight travel kit, it meets my expectations. I have also added the Panasonic 100-300 and hope to add the 35-100 F2.8 some day as well!

Jo

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panny G5 v Rebels

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I was hoping for.

I was really concerned the sensor is too small

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panny G5 v Rebels

The G5 isn't far behind Canon's 18MP crop sensors at all. Until you get into the upper ISOs you won't notice a difference, and even then at smaller print sizes there won't be an appreciable difference. m4/3 has come a long way since the early days.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panny G5 v Rebels

In the USA the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 is on closeout for $250 at Adorama, Amazon, etc. It's a lot of camera for the bucks and was selling for $600 a year ago. I goy swept up by the M4/3 mirror less craze and, while I like my little Olympus E-P3, IQ pales next to a recent Rebel. Of course I'm carrying ancient 2012 tech. The new OM does it one better. Still, with my 17mm 1.8 and VF-1 optical finder, it's cute as a button and never leaves my messenger bag. Once outfitted with a good lens and finder it's only a little smaller and lighter than a Rebel and won't fit in even my largest coat pocket.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Panny G5 v Rebels

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
The G5 isn't far behind Canon's 18MP crop sensors at all. Until you get into the upper ISOs you won't notice a difference, and even then at smaller print sizes there won't be an appreciable difference. m4/3 has come a long way since the early days.

Thanks, there is a super deal on over here for a G5 body and two lenses, clearly now I see it's because the new model G6is out, but I have been searching for the perfect lightweight kit and have yet to find it with Canon, this might be ok, as long as the IQ is good enough

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Panny G5 v Rebels

Gochugogi wrote:
In the USA the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 is on closeout for $250 at Adorama, Amazon, etc. It's a lot of camera for the bucks and was selling for $600 a year ago. I goy swept up by the M4/3 mirror less craze and, while I like my little Olympus E-P3, IQ pales next to a recent Rebel. Of course I'm carrying ancient 2012 tech. The new OM does it one better. Still, with my 17mm 1.8 and VF-1 optical finder, it's cute as a button and never leaves my messenger bag. Once outfitted with a good lens and finder it's
...Show more

So in your opinion the G5 isn't anyhwere near as good as the 18 meg Rebels?

It's the proper viewfinder I want (electronic or reflex), which is why for me the G1X isn't there yet, even if it's IQ is outstanding

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Panny G5 v Rebels

I'm not too fond of EVF--albeit I own the VF-2--so not so proper for me. I would go with the G1X just so I could use those great optical finders from Voigtlander. Even Panasonic makes a nice clip on optical.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Panny G5 v Rebels

Gochugogi wrote:
I'm not too fond of EVF--albeit I own the VF-2--so not so proper for me. I would go with the G1X just so I could use those great optical finders from Voigtlander. Even Panasonic makes a nice clip on optical.

I assume that's a clip on one for the G1X? The actual one is largely hopeless.

I rather like EVF's as you can get a live histogram while you compose and an instant review right in your eye, plus they are usually 100% and can see better in the dark than I can.

If Canon could put a proper, coupled VF with focusing info in the G1X it would be just what I want but it's not a high priority for them it seems. The G5 seems a very good combo of these things

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Panny G5 v Rebels

dhphoto wrote:
So in your opinion the G5 isn't anyhwere near as good as the 18 meg Rebels?

It's the proper viewfinder I want (electronic or reflex), which is why for me the G1X isn't there yet, even if it's IQ is outstanding

Gochugogi is saying the E-P3 isn't as good as the Canon 18MP cameras, which is true. The E-P3, while only released in 2012, is actually using a 12MP sensor that dates back to 2007? 2008? It's old and it shows. The G5 has a newer 16MP sensor that is better and closer to Canon's 18MP sensor. The E-M5 and GH3 have even newer sensors that in some ways are actually better than Canon's crop sensor, but those are in a different price bracket altogether.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Panny G5 v Rebels

Thanks, as you can tell I have zilch knowledge of this format.

I didn't even know four thirds and micro four thirds were the same size until I Googled it

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.