Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Canon SL1

voltaire
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon SL1

Hi everyone! Did anybody order the Canon SL1 or am I going to be the guinea pig? :-) It is scheduled to come out April 30 and want to put it through its paces before my next long haul travel again on May 3rd.

Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been on FM in over a week. Here's a photo of St. Basil's. Still in Moscow but headed home tomorrow.

Thanks,
Voltaire

Apr 24, 2013 at 09:30 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon SL1

Beautiful shot! I too will most likely get an SL1 for travelling as well along with the sigma 1.8zoom.

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:12 PM
alexdi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon SL1

It's a parts-bin camera, I doubt you'll find anything surprising outside of the claw-like shape your hands will form to hold it.

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:49 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon SL1

and we're off!

Apr 24, 2013 at 07:20 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon SL1

I'm surprised people feel the way they do about this camera. For me it's like the EOS M except with real buttons instead of that annoying touch-screen. So naturally mine has been on pre-order for a month. :-)

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:53 AM
canon gangsta

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon SL1

alfarmer wrote:
I'm surprised people feel the way they do about this camera. For me it's like the EOS M except with real buttons instead of that annoying touch-screen. So naturally mine has been on pre-order for a month. :-)

The SL1 has a touch-screen.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:12 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon SL1

IMO the touchscreen on the eos M is fantastic.

It would need more buttons if it had a viewfinder.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:22 AM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon SL1

To be clear: I think it's fine. But being the first to use it is like being a guinea pig for aspirin in a new container. There's nothing here we haven't seen before. The risk quotient for trying it out is not that high.

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:03 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon SL1

I'm considering it as my true lightweight solution, but I won't jump when it's first released. Two things that make me wait.

First, Canon has to come out with a good small lens just like the 40mm Pancake to fit my need. I think 40mm on crop is a little bit too tight. I think an EF-S 24mm Pancake is possible.

Second, based on their recent price trend. It's gonna come down cheap really quickly. For both 5D3 and 6D, you can find street prices at 25% cheaper than retail within 6 months of the original release dates.

Anyway, sensor performance looks good to me from samples that I see here:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/albums/canon-eos-100d-rebel-sl1-preview-samples

Video at night isn't bad either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw8j0SN64Hg

This is a nice commercial in Korea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-LPAbYcORI

BTW, I kinda prefer the name 100D than the Rebel SL1 though.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon SL1

Tried the 100D/SL1 a couple of days ago and my opinions for this little camera are as follow:

For those Canon shooters who have lots of EF lenses looking for a little all in one travel camera like the Micro Four Third or NEX does not have to look any further. This camera will fill the gap very nicely, so much so that I think Nikon should have chosen this path instead of wasting energy, time and effort on the 1 series which requires a new set of lenses or an adaptor which increase its size.

Performance wise, it is doing very well at normal room lighting producing very sharp pictures with the 18-55mm kit lens, not only that the AWB is very precise, so not much manual adjustment are needed. This is good if you want to get one for your love ones like your wife and kids who might not be good at photography.
ISO noise at 3200 is acceptable and usable, much better than any MFT or NEX on the market. I would said better than the 7D at the moment.

Handling is better than the OM-D, NEX and about the same as the GH3 (provided that you are not already use to the Canon controls) but a lot lighter, so much lighter that it felt as if you will never drop this camera. Of course you will not get the strength and built of the other alloy cameras, but one will really enjoy holding and using this camera.

The best part of it is that it has a bright optical viewfinder with 95% coverage that does not has time lag or dark noise like any EVF.

Price wise at about $650 for the body might be a little high but after a couple of months when the price drop to $550, I think there will be lots of buyers getting it as their first camera, backup camera or a do everything walkabout camera with a pancake lens.

Good Job Canon!

Edited on Apr 26, 2013 at 03:23 PM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon SL1

hans98ko wrote:
I think there will be lots of buyers getting it as their first camera, backup camera or a do everything walkabout camera with a pancake lens.

Canon need to make a 25-26mm EF-S pancake!

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:18 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon SL1

I had a light weight kit back in film days that I used for motocycle travel...this camera looks like a perfect start for a "new" light weight kit!!

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:18 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon SL1

dhphoto wrote:
Canon need to make a 25-26mm EF-S pancake!

That you have to ask Canon to do it, but I think a 31-32mm pancake is a better choice because with a 1.6x factor it will produce a perfect 50mm standard lens for the cropped sensor that one can use for calibration, comparison and reference with other format.

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:30 PM
anscochrome
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon SL1

I really have enjoyed using the 40mm F 2.8 pancake on my 5dII, since it is so close to the diagonal of format normal lens (43mm)-I really like that fov. Therefore, I too would like a pancake close to the 1.6 crop diagonal (27.3 mm?) for a similar "dead" normal fov.

Apr 27, 2013 at 03:11 AM
vknight
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon SL1

I pre-ordered one. I travel a lot and plan to take this with me. Can't wait to try it out. I realize that my 5dm2 will have better image quality. I bought the body only and am trying to decide what the best lens to travel with is... I may go cancel and re-order with the kit lens. My only hesitatin there is that the kit lens looks big.

I've got a ton of EF lenses for my 5dm2 (50 1.4, 135 2.0, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200, 100-400) but using any of them (except perhaps the 50) almost completely negate the small size of this camera. As someone said above - need a pancake zoom (is there such a thing)?

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:28 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon SL1

vknight wrote:
I pre-ordered one. I travel a lot and plan to take this with me. Can't wait to try it out. I realize that my 5dm2 will have better image quality. I bought the body only and am trying to decide what the best lens to travel with is... I may go cancel and re-order with the kit lens. My only hesitatin there is that the kit lens looks big.

I've got a ton of EF lenses for my 5dm2 (50 1.4, 135 2.0, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200, 100-400) but using any of them (except perhaps the 50) almost completely negate the small
...Show more

Many will just say the 18-55IS kit lens but it's not a lens I like much at all.

My holiday crop lens is the Tamron 17-50 non-OS, but a 25mm pancake would be good

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:54 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon SL1

My wife's T1i is on the B & S forums as we speak...planning on picking up the SL1 for her at that time. The size difference, combined with improved IQ/features over her T1i won her over.

She ALMOST wanted to pull the trigger today on a Nikon 1 J2 bundle deal that Amazon had going...but if you compare the body size differences, nevermind the lens options, the mirrorless option became less attractive, regardless of price.

Apr 29, 2013 at 02:15 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon SL1

I echo all those wanting a short EF-S pancake. Something like this maybe?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 29, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon SL1

Yakim Peled wrote:
I echo all those wanting a short EF-S pancake. Something like this maybe?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

That doesn't look like a pancake lens to me.

I believe a 24mm through 28mm or something in that range at f/2 is very possible as an EF-S pancake lens at about the same size of 40mm Pancake if Canon wants to make one.

But for the price of 28/2.8 IS at around $400. I might just pick it up and use it with this body.

Apr 29, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon SL1

Hurry up. This is only at Adorama. BTW, I would do the same.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password