Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Night and Antelope

Gregg B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Night and Antelope

Night photography workshop at Antelope.

Apr 24, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Night and Antelope

Interesting shapes and colors. I'm not sure what the flare is supposed to represent, though. I presume it's computer generated (it certainly has that look to it), so you must have put it there for a reason. Is it supposed to look like a Speedlite going off?

Apr 24, 2013 at 09:01 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Night and Antelope

Hey Greg,

That is cool that you got to shoot this at night, I haven't done that yet. Is the flaring from the moon? That would be cool to have caught that in a gap into the sky.

Jim

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Night and Antelope

Gregg,
You got some wonderful lines and shapes across the frame.
To my eyes, the sky and parts of the image have a purple tint cast.
Fred

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:21 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Night and Antelope

Phrasikleia wrote:
Interesting shapes and colors. I'm not sure what the flare is supposed to represent, though.

The moon. These walls are 50, or more, feet high so it would be kind of hard to put a flash up there.

I presume it's computer generated (it certainly has that look to it), so you must have put it there for a reason. Is it supposed to look like a Speedlite going off?

I did enhanced the brightness and look of it a bit. I liked it that way better.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:31 PM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Night and Antelope

Wonderful alien waves of color. The moon really makes this shot.

Roman

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Night and Antelope

Fred Miranda wrote:
Gregg,
You got some wonderful lines and shapes across the frame.
To my eyes, the sky and parts of the image have a purple tint cast.
Fred

Hi Fred,
Yes, it does. Funny, I didn't notice that on my screen that much. I'll play with that and make it more blue, as it should be. Thanks for noticing that. That's why this place exists. I love this site...Great constructive criticism.

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:29 PM
WannaMontana

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Night and Antelope

Greg,
This is an interesting twist on an familiar subject. Thank you for sharing.

Curiosity: How can one access night tours?

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:51 AM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Night and Antelope

WannaMontana wrote:
Greg,

Wanna,
I'm not sure if you're familiar with Page. If not, well, it's a small tiny town with about 8,000 people and 14 churches. That's crazy!!!! Anyway, there's this huge power plant with 3 very very big chimneys. Just drive out of Page towards this power plant. You can't miss it, there's no way. I think you need to get on highway 89 and just drive toward this plant. But while driving there will be in the middle of nowhere this place with huge sign "Adventure Antelope Canyon Tours". It's literarily in the fields of desert across from this power plant. Again, you can't miss it.
So when driving on 89 make a right into this place and talk to anyone about night photo tours. It costs $150 but lasts 3 hours and no one will ever walk into your frame. It's a nice experience. And, at the end they will do this:

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Night and Antelope

AHHHHH yes...the buring steel wool twirl !!!

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:36 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Night and Antelope

I think you have a lot of potential with this shot, but the strong magenta cast and the super strong saturation really mask the natural beauty of this scene and your composition. There really isn't any reason for the shot to be so red at night. My guess is that you tweaked the WB and the color heavy handedly to try and give it the same sort of color that it might have during the day with reflected light --- but that just isn't true to a scene like this. Rather than coming across as a wonderful night shot in the slot canyon, it just looks like a heavy handed photoshop job. It doesn't feel true to the location. I think this shot has enormous potential, but it just needs some different processing.

Though you might think the original is somewhat boring, I think you should really stick with the natural tones here --- or perhaps work with a wonderful natural blue tone to signify night. You have a lot of potential to make this a moody, mysterious photo, but right now it comes across as artificial and heavily manipulated.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Buffalonian
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Night and Antelope

How did you manage to fenagle that?! Wow ... this is awesome. I would drive to Page for something like this.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:07 PM
rpope
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Night and Antelope

Definitely a different take on that area... I like it!!
Nice work!!

Rich

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Night and Antelope

Ben Horne wrote:
I think you have a lot of potential with this shot, but the strong magenta cast and the super strong saturation really mask the natural beauty of this scene and your composition. There really isn't any reason for the shot to be so red at night. My guess is that you tweaked the WB and the color heavy handedly to try and give it the same sort of color that it might have during the day with reflected light --- but that just isn't true to a scene like this. Rather than coming across as a wonderful night shot
...Show more

Thank You Ben,
Yes, I changed white balance in camera, or as you call it manipulated it a bid, and I don't deny it. In fact, I like your advice and I will reprocess this images differently. But just so you know the first thing you hear when taking a photography tours in Page (I took a few, not only to Antelope Canyon but also to Canyon X for example, which has its own beauty) is to adjust your WB. So almost all photographers do this. You will not get such intense reds, or blues, or magentas etc. unless you manipulate your image either in camera or PP. There's no way. I assume what bothers you a bit is that it's maybe too red for you. I can always adjust that.
Anyway, thanks. Good write up.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:51 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Night and Antelope

Nights in the canyons to me is a spiritual experience, and photography just happens to enhance it. I loved my evening photography there and love what you have done here. As canyon images are interpretive, the colors can pretty much be up to your imagination. Love the shapes and lines in the image.

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:01 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Night and Antelope

WannaMontana wrote:
Greg,

Give Lionel Bigthumb with Carol Bigthumb's tour company a call. He will take you there for the night photography.

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Tread

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Night and Antelope

The lens flare isn't working for you here. I'd get rid of it.

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Night and Antelope

AMaji wrote:
Give Lionel Bigthumb with Carol Bigthumb's tour company a call. He will take you there for the night photography.

Yes AMajii, that's the guy. Lionel Bigthumb is the one that took me to Upper Antelope at night. This shot, however, is from Lower Antelope. If you want to know how I got there at night, PM me.

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:13 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password