Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

mptnest
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

i'm setting up a new photo studio roughly 12'x12' with 10' ceiling with fluorescent lights. Stills will be done for product photography, DSLR video will be used for product demonstrations. Eventually we'll grow into a larger space, but this is our starting point. Professional quality work is the goal.

To this point I've only used Speedlites and have not done studio video. I'm looking for a lighting solution with no reservations as to what type. It seems LEDs are getting better, but not quite the perfect solution. I'm afraid quartz lights will get extremely hot in that space. I am not stuck on one lighting solution for both types of

I have a budget of about 2500 and looking for long.lasting, heavy usage solutions. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 24, 2013 at 02:48 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

High quality (not ebay chinese knock off) LED panels are very nice but can be expensive. What are your reservations with LEDs?
Kino Flo are popular but have a steep learning curve to produce nice quality (not just quantity) lighting results. But it's doable, but not with you budget. There is a thread on here some where about building your own Kino Flo type lighting qear.

Apr 24, 2013 at 05:01 AM
mptnest
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

I'm the kind of person that likes simple and dependable. Since I'm new to DSLR video and have a lot to learn with studio lighting, i'm not sure LEDs are the answer for me yet as that technology seems to be changing daily. Just my current thinking.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

Have you looked into the Westcott Spiderlite TD5 and TD6 or something similar?

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:57 PM
mptnest
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

I'm wide open. Have looked at so much I became confused. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll look into them. Any other ideas? I'll need solutions for both video and stills

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:29 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

LED's are about as simple and dependable as you can get for the application that you are looking for.

Apr 24, 2013 at 03:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

IMO I would avoid the CFL type units as no matter what they say I found them to not be full spectrum. A friend of mine loves them but he admits to be partially color blind.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:50 PM
mptnest
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

BruceF99 said:
Have you looked into the Westcott Spiderlite TD5 and TD6 or something similar?
These look great, but according to the specs, they only produce an exposure manual value of f/5.6, 1/60 at 400ISO (6-pack of 50-watt) at 3 feet. I'm concerned that won't be enough light for stills. Am I understanding the specs correctly? Do you have any experience with this?

Apr 24, 2013 at 09:16 PM
mptnest
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

Did a bit more research. The TD6 is looking quite promising.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

I have been doing a lot of video and this is what I use. I have Westcott lights and they are OK but 85 watt is the limit( tink they recommend 50). Top quality SB that will last forever. Decent quality bulb mounts. I max out the size using 4 bulbs in place of the 5 so I can go higher watt.
I found that photoflex.com has a unit called Constallation. 3 bulb unit, solid build as I seen at show before. Nice SB also and appears to be heavy duty. This baby will take up to 200 watt CFL . ( note CFL watts are different so compare lumens )150 CFL watt is about = 600 watts of output. Do the math but a lot more light available.
This would be on top of my list! You need at least 1200 watts per SB.

Light banks....I want light control a softbox offers. Just my style.

Another place I have not used is www.photogenic.com. They have light banks.

I prefer a soft box for control. Quite A few other places listed on this blog.

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/keep-it-cool-fluorescent-and-led-lighting-alternatives-hot-lights-and-strobes

Now for the cheap lights. www.briteklighting.com has some that are OK. Junk soft box if you can call it that. It will direct light and CFL light is naturally soft so they work. Yes I also have some of them and yes I get excellent quality light. Build is nothing to talk about but they do work and make me money. I can get larger bulbs in them for more light output and use them more than the Westcotts for that reason.

Now for still photography: Different requirements. Continous will need higher ISO and slow shutters. I prefer strobes for my still photo work. Strobes have no limits.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dual purpose studio lighting help needed.

Generally speaking, you don't use the same lights for video and stills; no more than you would use the same tripods for both video and still photography. I think you might to suck it up and buy either strobes for stills or some form of hot lights or LEDs for video. Buy the lights that will initially get the most usage and then save up for the other lights that you can buy down the road. If needed, you can rent the lights you don't have when necessary.

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:00 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password